Thread: Harry and the Next Gen.?

Hybrid View

Tveiter Tot Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class

Harry and the Next Gen.?

I've been writing a next gen fic, and I have a few questions regarding Harry + Home life.

His house: As a 'famous person', would Harry have a large house? A normal one because he was trying to make his kids' life normal? Would it have a bottom floor that was always perfect for parties/such he has to host, with upstairs as his real house?

Family Life: As an Auror, would it make sense that he wasn't around a lot? I'm not sure if part of my fic wants to be Albus resenting Harry because he was never there, but I want to know if it makes plausible sense.

Children: Another 'reality check'. It's always hard for me to write Harry in the next generation, because I'm not sure if he's funny and rather childish, because he lost his childhood and whatnot, if he's always working, or if he's a normal father. (Can be angry but can also be fun -> but not childish) I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how Harry would interact with his children.

Thanks!
    Ellie
    *~iBeta~**~iWrite~* *~iPoet~* *~iDrabble~* *~iDuel~*
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and credit for the lovely banner goes to Pooja.

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life.
    (Neil ~ The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I can only really answer one:

After what Petunia and Vernon put Harry through, I doubt that he would be a not there father. From what we see of Albus in DH, he and his father are fairly close, and I think that after everything Harry went through, he'd be there for his kids 1000%
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    His house: As a 'famous person', would Harry have a large house? A normal one because he was trying to make his kids' life normal? Would it have a bottom floor that was always perfect for parties/such he has to host, with upstairs as his real house?
    In the epilogue, James asks if Teddy can move in and says he and Albus will share a room. Harry says no because he doesn't want the house destroyed. All this suggests that they live in a fairly modest house if they don't have a spare bedroom. Albus doesn't seem to know why everyone is staring at Harry, so they possibly live in a Muggle area. For some reason I don't think they live near Ron and Hermione because they made their own way there instead of arriving together (Ron drove - LOL)

It's always hard for me to write Harry in the next generation, because I'm not sure if he's funny and rather childish, because he lost his childhood and whatnot, if he's always working, or if he's a normal father. (Can be angry but can also be fun -> but not childish) I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how Harry would interact with his children.
    I can't see him being childish. He's seen what spoiling does to a child, and he's also seen what responsible parenting does for children via Molly and Arthur. As Maple says, he's close to Al and seems to be able to relate to all his children with love and responsibility.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Tveiter Tot Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Thank you so much, Carole and Maple. I think I have it figured out, but I have read so many (many quite horrible but not on MNFF) Next Gens with many takes on Harry, I got really confused.

Thanks!
    Ellie
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and credit for the lovely banner goes to Pooja.

Ellie

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    In my opinion JKR gives us a lot of hints about the Potters' parenting style in a remarkably short time in the epilogue.

Ginny is (to a significant extent in my opinion) a mini-Molly. She can silence James (who is obviously a handful) with a glance.

Al is obviously quieter than his brother, and aware that Jaemes might tease him (he takes the opportunity to talk to his parents after James has left). Harry supplies comfort and reassurrance for Al and, interestingly it's to Harry, not Ginny, who All confides his deepest (Slytherin) fear. Harry again provides comfort and Ginny tactfully pretends to be doing something else. I do not think that Al would confide in his father if he was absent. I'm surre that Harry would want to be a good dad, and with Ginny's help he should be able to achieve it.

Personally I think that he'd play with his kids more often than would Ron, especially when they were very young.

I've written several stories about Harry and Ginny as parents (Strangers at Drakeshaugh is the longest) but they are centred on the parents, not the next-gen kids.

The Potters' house probably has no more than four bedrooms for the reason Carole gives. However, it's not impossible that there is a fifth "spare room which acts as Ginny's study. She is a Quidditch reporter after all.

So, to answer your questions

His house: I moved the Potters to a large converted farmhouse and barn on the borders (Drakeshaugh). I think that Harry would live among Muggles, in a rural location and in a house which has some aspects of The Burrow (land for the kids to play). A large house, but not a posh house. It needs to be large in case the family come around for a meal (Arthur and Molly have twelve grandchildren and if all of the Weasley/Potter clan arrive thatís 25 people. I canít see him hosting parties except for his friends. Harry has never been a schmoozer.

Family Life: Harry is in charge, provided that heís learned to delegate, he should manage a normal(ish) working day although heís likely to be called away by a crisis, it won't be every day. The epilogue shows that Harry and Al are close (in my opinion).

Children: The epilogue shows the Potters as a normal family with the usual family dynamics. James teases and annoys his little brother, but itís nothing unusual. Harry and Ginny seem to work as a parenting team. They donít fuss, and each lets the other use discipline, or praise, without interference.

Neil

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Tveiter Tot Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Whew. Thank you so much, this really really helps.

Ellie