Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: January Activities 2012

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Can you trace your changing tastes as a reader back to the beginning?

Most definitely. I started off as a firm Harry/Ginny shipper on SIYE. All I read were missing moments of the last two books, particularly between the penultimate chapter of the Deathly Hallows and the epilogue, and once, a couple of rather interesting post-OOTP (as in, disregarding HBP and DH) stories. I'm sure I've read at least thirty versions of what Harry and Ginny did when they left the portrait hole after their first kiss. (Some were light and fluffy, and others were... not-so-light and smutty ) All of them featured Harry/Ginny as the main pairing, and I read little else. I wrote only Harry/Ginny as well, because that was all I read, and I'm a firm believer in that you are influenced in what you read and it tends to show in your writing. Also, SIYE only allowed Harry/Ginny stories, being, well, a Harry/Ginny site.

Then I joined MNFF, and I no longer had the restriction of that pairing. I could branch out into different pairings, and into poems as well. As I started betaing, I read more of a variety of stories, and as I slowly began to immerse in the diverse range of subject matter in the stories on MNFF, I discovered my love for Marauder Era. So I started writing James/Lily, because I had read some excellent ones, namely by Gina/Gmariam, and I wanted to try my hand at something different, set in a different era from Harry's. For inspiration, I read a lot of James/Lilys, including MagEd's, Equinox Chick's, hestiajones's and others.

After this, as I watched an episode of the Mentalist and the Mysterious May challenge, a Next Gen plot bunny bit me, and I had warmed to Next Gen by then anyway. So again, it was about what I was writing at the time that led me to read more Next Gen, but also, the other Next Gen stories that I had read over that time -- like The Vindication of James Potter That was when I realised that not only did I enjoy fluff, but I also loved angst and romance and dark!fics. Then I got into SSP and rarepairs, and I'm still really into it even though I can't write it very well, lol, judging by the appalling mess of my Secret SPEW story

TQ: When you first discovered fan fiction, where did you start? (Did you immediately divulge into a pairing or genre, float around, check the top tens, or most recent?)

As I said, I started off with Harry/Ginny, then I moved on to other canon pairings such as Romione and James/Lily and Remus/Tonks. Then I started reading non-canon pairings that could still fit into canon, and then I began secretly liking non-canon ships like Lily/Alice, Hermione/Luna and Harry/Draco D:

Now, I just look at the Most Recent, especially if an flister writes something. I also keep up with the WIPs I'm following

TQ: What is one genre/cliché/pairing did you loved at one point that you shudder to read now?

Hmmm. I don't know. I used to love cliched Marauder Era stories (before knowing it was a cliche) and then I realised how stupid some of them were, like not having Peter or whatever, and now, I shudder at that. Also -- Mary-Sues drive me up the wall, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

New TQ: How much have your reading experiences changed your writing?
    Last edited by babewithbrains; 01-08-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Clone Club Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Seeking Keys

Yes yes yes definitely. When I first started fanfiction about a year ago, I only read Marauder Era and James/Lily chaptered fics--I had no interest in one shots at all and thought D/A was the Banned Section of MNFF. Don't get me wrong, I would still love a good, non cliche James/Lily, but I've definitely moved out into darker territory (although writing fluff is kind of becoming my thing *waves at shiny unbetaed stories*)

I also think I'm becoming less of a canon gal--I used to think Ron/Hermione was . and there was no way Draco/Hermione would ever work, but I have read some really good Dramiones and even rarer pairs have started to interest me a lot more. And also once I warmed a little more to femmeslash, I started reading a lot more of Alex's and Soraya's works and I think that kind of pushed me over to the dark side. *this is a good thing*

What is one genre/cliché/pairing did you loved at one point that you shudder to read now?

Harry/Ginny. I've never liked Ginny--I always thought she was a little bit of a Mary Sue--but when reading, I stayed strictly canon and browsed all those sections of the archives. Now, I think there are much better pairings/stories out there and honestly, I am becoming a proud I-don't-care-who-Harry-ends-up-with shipper xD

When you first discoverd fan fiction, where did you start? (Did you immediately divulge into a pairing or genre, float around, check the top tens, or most recent?)

At first I browsed through James/Lily and Marauder Era and read all those chaptered fics (except I still haven't read Raindrops...) Then I went through the top longest stories and hit those. That was...a lot of stories, so after that, I finished my craze for all this Marauder and joined the forums/the D/A side of town.

New TQ: Do you think what you read influences what you write? EDIT: realized Soraya had basically the same TQ as me so
    New TQ that isn't a copy of someone elses's: Why do you think you were compelled to read a certain genre?
    Lily Writes ♥ alisonhendrxes blogs ♥ @lilysinsistence tweets

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    And assignments are a GO!

Soraya ♥ Lily
    Maple ♥ Meg
    Alex ♥ Jess

Remember, your reviews do NOT have to used toward your review requirements for this month, but they MUST be written in this month and be of high quality/something you would willingly submit as a SPEW review.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Can you trace your changing tastes as a reader back to the beginning? Care to share?

Difficult to say. I’ve always looked for strong, female characters, from Mandy in the Animal Ark series when I first started reading, to [insert any female character here because IMO they all qualify] in Harry Potter, Karrin Murphy in the Dresden Files, Sethe in Beloved… that’s been one fairly constant common denominator in every book I’ve ever enjoyed, come to think of it.

However, when I first got into fanfiction, my twelve-year-old brain misinterpreted that to mean “Mary Sue” – they were new and exciting to me then, and I’m pleased to say that as soon as I realised what one was (which, given that I started out on harrypotterfanfiction.com, didn’t actually take that long – they’re everywhere on that site) I trashed anything I’d written with a Sue, and went through my favourites with a fine-toothed comb to remove them. As much as I wish I could say I’ve always had a good eye, I do count that as a significant blip!

Apart from general maturation, which I suppose is partly due to exposure and partly due to age, I’m not sure what else has changed. I still read Romance, I still read Dark/Angst, both of which were favourites when I started. It’s a little worrying how little I’ve diversified come to think of it! :P I suppose new genres have opened up in that time though, such as Next-Gen, which simply wasn’t around when I started – it was all alternative book 7’s then, which I don’t read anymore as I don’t see the point.

New TQ: When you first discovered fan fiction, where did you start? (Did you immediately divulge into a pairing or genre, float around, check the top tens, or most recent?)

Um, I suppose it varied… I, somewhat tragically, still have the same OTP I had when I started, and my favourite characters have changed very little, so I was obviously a little biased towards stories including them. I think because it was, as I’ve said before, new to me, I tended towards fics of a higher rating than I necessarily would now: that is to say, given the choice between two seemingly similar fics, I’d take the one with the highest rating – I think this was something to do with increasing internet usage as well, as it seems everyone ends up in the dodgy bit of the internet eventually.

What I used to do was to do an Advanced search, based on what character/genre I felt like reading that day, set it to “Complete fics only” (because I got annoyed with cliffhangers!), and just browse the results… Rather boring, but it worked for me.

I probably float more nowadays than I did then, partly because the fandom has developed somewhat (there are new genres, etc), and partly because I didn’t like reading certain genres until the gaps had been filled in: I still like “missing moments”, but I’m much more forgiving of fanon detail now.

NEW TQ: What is one genre/cliché/pairing did you loved at one point that you shudder to read now?

I will again mention my interest in Mary Sues… I’m not sure why I used to like them, I suppose it was a fantasy extension thing. I was also going through a rough patch at school and at home, and I think the added “escape factor” of Sues appealed to me at the time. I don’t think I’ve attempted to write an OC since I realised how awful Sues are, because I’m so terrified of producing one! :S

New TQ: How much have your reading experiences changed your writing?

Ooh, kinda answered that one prematurely – as I said, I steer very clear of OCs now, because I’m worried about producing a Sue, although I think I may be ready to use one now, created and developed with the help of the OC class

I think reading fanfic has taught me a lot of general do’s and don’ts about writing, because it was the first time I could really communicate what I thought with a writer, and so I began to read far more critically than I did before that point, and also to do a lot more research, because I wanted to be sure my criticisms were valid. It was, for example, researching for a phrase that summed up how I felt about a very dull, descriptive piece (title of which escapes me now) that I first heard the phrase, “Show, don’t tell”.

New TQ that isn't a copy of someone elses's: Why do you think you were compelled to read a certain genre?

I don’t really limit myself to any specific genre. I think I was inclined towards higher ratings when I was younger because I was free to do so, rather than because I felt the fics were better, and I think I was compelled towards MS fics, partially because there were SO many of them when I first started reading, but also because (at first, at least – it wore off quite quickly) they were a good escape. I suppose that’s their only real appeal, mind you… Aside from that, I was fairly flexible, and I think I’ve become more so over time.

New TQ: What changes have you noticed in terms of trends (eg, most common ships, genres, etc) since you've been in the fandom?
    Student * Wannabe Author * IB Survivor * Ravenclaw

Also known as Ithinkrabis2people - nothing like a crackpot theory that doesn't work out

h_vic
    I guess my reader evolution has pretty much mirrored Jess' in that we've ended up at the same point of D/A and rarepairs. That we started out at the same point, though, probably isn't surprising. I think it's inevitable that most people start out reading stories that stay pretty close to canon and involve mostly the major characters.

I suppose though, even if my love of minor characters came later, I pretty much did like darker stories set in an imperfect post-Hogwarts world from the outset.

So, the major changes for me were really discovering my fascination with the Potions Master (and I can even tell you which story started that: Vindictus Viridian's fabulous In the Eyes of Others), and realising the potential in minor characters and rarepairs.

What changes have you noticed in terms of trends (eg, most common ships, genres, etc) since you've been in the fandom?

I suppose some of the biggest changes in terms of trends in pairings whilst I've been in the fandom where inevitably those sparked by DH and the post-DH interview canon.

It's hard to carry on shipping characters who didn't survive for example, and I suppose the most major example of that is how there seems to have been a really shift away from stories focused on Severus and in particular the way that Severus/Hermione seems to have become much less frequently written because now it has to be AU to get that to work.

New TQ: Are there any reading preferences that you've found yourself going full circle on - perhaps drifting away from and then coming back to later?

I ask because when I originally started drifting away from canon pairings, one of the inevitable early ports of call was Harmony, which I then rapidly lost interest in, but now I'm quite fond of it again as a result of Julia's stunning stories and Jess' enthusiasm.

Time Traveler Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    New TQ: Are there any reading preferences that you've found yourself going full circle on - perhaps drifting away from and then coming back to later?

Before I answer this . . . I'm going to use an analogy to help myself answer this.

I read like I listen to music. I obsess over something, and if I truly love it, I will never skip over it on my iPod, no matter how many year it has been on there. There are some things (Ministry of Magic band/Sirius and OC) that I obsessed with for a month or two, then maybe read one or two in the next year.

Soooo . . . next generation and dark is like my classic rock (I absolutely LOVE the song Jack and Diane), The Script, and Bocye Avenue. As soon as I discovered it, I never let it go.

But . . . I can say that I drifted from James/Lily and and the Marauders in general for a while, to come back after I signed up for the MWPP class here.

So . . . (I probably should have said this first) I do come back full circle, but only on the things that I really like. If it was a random obsession (say Harry/OC-> I went through that on HPFF [most of them were not even close to as good as the stuff here] and now I find it disgusting in a weird way [Don't shoot me Harmony fans-> I always was a Harry/Ginny])
    I haven't, and probably won't, come back to it. If I really love it, and somehow drift from it, I know I'll always find my way back.

[/randomness brought on by an entire day of orchestra/science]

New TQ: Has there ever been something (a pairing/a cliché) that you somehow were always attracted to, and still are? Or just something that you've always loved since the beginning, and still do? [I know I could never get enough of the James II/OC love/hate stuff that's been going on)
    my page
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and banner by TM_Wandstick.

No matter what anyone tells you, words and ideas can change the world.
    (The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    New TQ: Has there ever been something (a pairing/a cliché) that you somehow were always attracted to, and still are? Or just something that you've always loved since the beginning, and still do? [I know I could never get enough of the James II/OC love/hate stuff that's been going on)

Marriage Law and Hermione time travels are two things I could read over and over again.

Lame, I know.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!