Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Activities 2012

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

January Activities 2012

Every time I go through my old reviews and favorites on the archives, I find something that takes me aback. I wonder why I would read a certain something or, moreover, why I would like it so profusely. It is almost like a trail of breadcrumbs, leading from the noob who read fluffy Harry/Ginny and stayed up all night reading alternate Book 7s to the person who stalks Dark/Angst and most anything rarepair. It is my evolution as a reader.

So, with that, I ask you:

Can you trace your changing tastes as a reader back to the beginning?

Care to share?

As usual, please ask and answer one TQ, and please, by all means, come back and reply to more TQs, even after you've already posted. Discuss!
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

QSQ-worthy banner by Minna / minnabird.

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

January Feature — SBBC Recommends

As most of you know, the Susan Bones Book Club discusses 2-3 stories each month, after which they vote on whether the fic is worthy of their fine stamp of recommendation or even of the calibre necessary to make their hall of fame. We're going to be picking from their fine collection of recommended fics (which also includes their hall of fame!). Here is a link to the list: http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/foru...BBC-Recommends

Bear in mind that some of these stories are no longer posted on MNFF. If a link isn't posted, then the story is probably no longer available. Just keep searching...there are droves of great stories on this list. For stories discussed from 2009 on, the discussions are still available in the SBBC Burial Grounds. Feel free to look these over, as it might help give you insight into a story which you hadn't previously considered. Please don't read the discussions and just vomit back what you read in review form; be original. Use the discussions to open doors in your mind and in your thought process.

Same drill…ask and answer at least one TQ. Here are a couple to get you started.

Does observing others' thought processes help kickstart your own?

How often do you take others' recommendations into consideration when searching for reading material?

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

SPEW Buddies is BACK!

Hello, and welcome to SPEW Buddies! If you've never participated in this before, SPEW buddies is an activity in which you are paired up with a fellow SPEWer. You both review each other and then participate in a character chat, an example of which can be found here. You can conduct these chats either by IM or by PM (total word count should be at least 500 words between both characters); the IM chats should be dialogue only and the PMs written like letters, as illustrated in the chats thread. Which you choose to do is up to you.

If you're interested, please sign up in this thread by no later than the end of the day (US Pacific Time, GST -8) on January 6th.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    It's been so long since I did this-definitely want a SPEW buddy
    Banner by Minna.

Demon Ganker Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Impersonating the Bloody Baron
    I've never done this before, but I'd love to try =) Sign me up!

Gorgeous banner by minnabird || Avi by TM_Wandstick.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Jumping in headfirst!
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    May I please have a SPEW buddy too?

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    Oh, go on then. I'll sign up

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Tveiter Tot Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    Can you trace your changing tastes as a reader back to the beginning?

Definitely, Jess. I remember when I first discovered fan fiction, and I automatically read through all of the top tens, to see what I liked. I was super into alternate universe as well as over-dramatic Harry/Ginny and James/Lily. Now, I have found a serious love for all things Next Gen. wise as well as dark/angsty. I'm not as much of a sucker for happy endings, I guess. I was really into the whole romance scene, for some odd reason, but now I have issues writing serious fluff and reading it. I think I'm starting to get a mild 'Founders Phase', but I'm still obsessed with Next Gen. I have no idea why, but it has always been my favorite. I love seeing how different Harry's children come out, as well as Scorpius. Anyways, I digress. Overall, I went from being a total 'OMG James and Lily are in love', 'I would have never paired these two together, but it works lol' and 'Why did Harry marry Ginny when he had this OC?' to a Next Gen. and dark/angsty lover that I am right now. I'm still not really into rarepairs or slash, but I still love a good Neville/Luna.

Looking back at my reviews, I see how truly awful they were. Most didn't even hit two lines. :P I feel so bad looking back at them, as they didn't help the author at all. I'm glad I joined SPEW, though, because now I feel I'm starting to make up for it.

New TQ: When you first discoverd fan fiction, where did you start? (Did you immediately divulge into a pairing or genre, float around, check the top tens, or most recent?)
    Last edited by iMusic17; 01-08-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    *~iBeta~**~iWrite~* *~iPoet~* *~iDrabble~* *~iDuel~*
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and credit for the lovely banner goes to Pooja.

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life.
    (Neil ~ The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    When I first joined fanfiction, the first thing that caught my eye was Draco/Hermione, and I was all, what is this, so I started reading that. Like most of the stories that were up at the time. Later, I discovered Snape/Hermione. THat was my OTP for a long time. I had read ALL the Snamione on the site - actually, it was why I joined...so I could read all the professor rated Snamione fics...namely Denial. Then I started reading Hermione/Other, and I haven't really left. I have branched out a bit into next gen, but other than that, I search for Hermione/Oliver, Hermione/Remus, and Hermione/Fred. I love time travel fics and marriage law fics, regardless of how cliché and dumb they can be. They remain my favourite plot lines.

NEW TQ: What is one genre/cliché/pairing did you loved at one point that you shudder to read now?
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!