Thread: A few Marauder Era questions

Hybrid View

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

A few Marauder Era questions

Hi everyone!

I'm toying with an idea for a new Marauder Era story and just had a few quick background-ish questions. Any opinions or insights would be much appreciated.

1. How visible do you imagine Voldemort would have been during the Marauders' last few years at Hogwarts? I think there's something in one of the books about him rising to power for about a decade or so before losing his powers to baby Harry, but I'm not positive. Do you think the war would've been in full tilt, or would he still have been more of a distant threat at that point? (around 1977-1978)

2. Are there any indications of what prefects were in the other Houses in the Marauders' year? Snape definitely wasn't one, right? I'm thinking of filling the roles of Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin prefects with OCs, but if anyone has theories or facts about canon prefects, that would be even better.

3. Do you think it would be feasible for Luna Lovegood's mother to be in the Marauders' year? This wouldn't be a major plot point, just curious.

4. Would it make sense for Remus and Lily to be friends before Lily and James got together? On the one hand, I think it would be possible, given that they were prefects together and we don't seem to see Lily direct too much animosity his way (at least, not as much as she does toward James). On the other, I could see Lily disliking or being cold to him because of his proximity to James and his reluctance to act as an authority figure around his friends. Any thoughts?

Sorry these are a bit scattered and random, they're just things that are occurring to me as I'm writing. Thanks for your help!
    Eliza

LittleJM
    Do you think the war would've been in full tilt, or would he still have been more of a distant threat at that point? (around 1977-1978)
    It was implied on many occasions that couples at the time married early because of the uncertainty of the times (correct me if I'm wrong - I believe Molly Weasley said something to that extent, but I don't have my books with me so I can't look to be sure). Given that James and Lily were probably married between late 1978 to mid-1979, it's pretty safe to say that Voldemort's threat was not distant by the time the Marauders were out of school.

Are there any indications of what prefects were in the other Houses in the Marauders' year? Snape definitely wasn't one, right?
    There isn't any mention of those in their year besides Remus and Lily. I'm fairly certain you have free reign on who is a prefect in other houses - though, for Slytherin, there are some pureblood names of those students that could have been in the Marauder's year. I haven't seen anything from JKR that's a definite 'no' on Snape being a prefect, but it's my opinion that he wasn't because a detail like that wouldn't have been overlooked throughout the entire series (to my knowledge, anyway).

Do you think it would be feasible for Luna Lovegood's mother to be in the Marauders' year? This wouldn't be a major plot point, just curious.
    It's definitely plausible, because we have no knowledge of how old her mother was or even how old her father is. I've seen it done before in fanfic.

Would it make sense for Remus and Lily to be friends before Lily and James got together?
    Most of the James/Lily fics I read have Remus and Lily friends before she got together with James. I can't find anywhere that says otherwise. I mean, they were prefects together, after all!

Okay, I think I got them all :]

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Would it make sense for Remus and Lily to be friends before Lily and James got together? On the one hand, I think it would be possible, given that they were prefects together
    Actually there's no canon evidence that Lily was a prefect. It's assumed she was because she became Head Girl, but James was Head Boy and he wasn't a prefect. Remus and Sirius never say anything to Harry about it, although that could be because the only time they mention prefects is when Harry's feeling down that he didn't get the badge.
    On the whole I think she was prefect, but you have a good case if you want to make it someone else.

On the other, I could see Lily disliking or being cold to him because of his proximity to James and his reluctance to act as an authority figure around his friends.
    Lily shouts at James in that one scene in the book. Remus hides behind a book. Whilst I think she would have liked some back up, she doesn't need it. She probably sees Remus as 'a Marauder' and not an individual, although ... she's obviously thought about him because her and Snape talk about why he goes away every month. Then again, she doesn't want to consider Remus being a werewolf and dismisses it. To me that suggests she like Remus as a friend and doesn;t want to invstigate anything that could discredit him.
    As far as 'authority figures' go, Lily isn't above rule-breaking. She is cheeky to Slughorn and according to Petunia, she's performed magic outside of school. In an interview JKR said Lily had her 'fair share of letters' regarding underage magic. I'd be careful of making Lily all rule-abiding. She intervenes when it's Snape being attacked, but she also stifles a laugh when she sees his underpants.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJM
    I haven't seen anything from JKR that's a definite 'no' on Snape being a prefect, but it's my opinion that he wasn't because a detail like that wouldn't have been overlooked throughout the entire series (to my knowledge, anyway).
    Yes, I agree with this. I'm inclined to think he wasn't a prefect because it would have been Slughorn who chose, and he'd have chosen someone more influential (Avery or Mulciber, perhaps). As far as other houses go, you have free rein. I don't know how old you think Kingsley is (personally I put him as a bit older than the Marauders), but he'd be prefect material. Dirk Cresswell is another candidate. I see him as a Ravenclaw.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    1. How visible do you imagine Voldemort would have been during the Marauders' last few years at Hogwarts? I think there's something in one of the books about him rising to power for about a decade or so before losing his powers to baby Harry, but I'm not positive. Do you think the war would've been in full tilt, or would he still have been more of a distant threat at that point? (around 1977-1978)
    Well, Lily and the Marauders join the Order of the Phoenix pretty much straight from school, so he must have been threat enough for them to do that. I don't think Dumbledore would have necessarily wanted to recruit them when they were straight from school unless Voldemort presented a real threat. Personally, I think it would have been perhaps not full tilt, but nearly there during the years you've mentioned. I think that there would definitely be a presence of Voldemort during the last school years, disappearances and deaths, but not on a major scale until perhaps their last year. There has to be a reason why they didn't start to persue normal careers.

2. Are there any indications of what prefects were in the other Houses in the Marauders' year? Snape definitely wasn't one, right? I'm thinking of filling the roles of Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin prefects with OCs, but if anyone has theories or facts about canon prefects, that would be even better.
    Dirk Cresswell was a year below Lily or something, Slughorn says in HBP. I think he's a pretty good call for a prefect in the lower years. Kingsley, I'm inclined to agree with Carole that he'd be older than the Marauders. I think you have a free reign with this, as far as I know there aren't any mentioned. Snape I don't think would have been one. I agree that it would have been mentioned. I don't know about Slughorn choosing because Dumbledore says something like 'why I didn't make you prefect' when he's talking to Harry, which makes me think that he's the one who makes the final decisions, but I think it's plausible that the heads of houses might make a shortlist of students from their house. If this is the case, I don't see Slughorn putting Snape forwards.

3. Do you think it would be feasible for Luna Lovegood's mother to be in the Marauders' year? This wouldn't be a major plot point, just curious.
    I think you could probably get away with it. Personally, I'd say she was older because she'd have been rather young when she had Luna, but then you have the evidence that people were eloping a fair bit so it could be explained. Xenophillius is described as having white hair in DH, so he's clearly not young unless he's the unofrtunate sort of person who goes grey at a young age, so I don't think he'd be a Marauder contemporary. You'd have to come up with a situation in which they'd meet and marry seeing as he's probably a lot older than her.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJM
    It was implied on many occasions that couples at the time married early because of the uncertainty of the times (correct me if I'm wrong - I believe Molly Weasley said something to that extent, but I don't have my books with me so I can't look to be sure). Given that James and Lily were probably married between late 1978 to mid-1979, it's pretty safe to say that Voldemort's threat was not distant by the time the Marauders were out of school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire at Dawn
    Well, Lily and the Marauders join the Order of the Phoenix pretty much straight from school, so he must have been threat enough for them to do that. I don't think Dumbledore would have necessarily wanted to recruit them when they were straight from school unless Voldemort presented a real threat. Personally, I think it would have been perhaps not full tilt, but nearly there during the years you've mentioned. I think that there would definitely be a presence of Voldemort during the last school years, disappearances and deaths, but not on a major scale until perhaps their last year. There has to be a reason why they didn't start to persue normal careers.
    Yes, these are both things I've been considering as I'm trying to time everything out, and they're both good points. I guess what I'm wondering is this: do you imagine people would already be so fearful of Voldemort that they wouldn't want their children going back to school? Would some people already be in hiding?

Incidentally, when did people started referring to Voldemort as You-Know-Who?

Equinox Chick, thanks so much for the input on Lily's character; that's extremely helpful.

Thanks for the responses, guys! I think I've read so much Marauder Era fanfiction that it's become increasingly difficult for me to remember what's actually canon and what just typically occurs in your average MWPP story, so it's been good to have a bit of a reminder.
    Eliza

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick View Post
    Lily shouts at James in that one scene in the book. Remus hides behind a book. Whilst I think she would have liked some back up, she doesn't need it. She probably sees Remus as 'a Marauder' and not an individual, although ... she's obviously thought about him because her and Snape talk about why he goes away every month. Then again, she doesn't want to consider Remus being a werewolf and dismisses it. To me that suggests she like Remus as a friend and doesn;t want to invstigate anything that could discredit him.
    I know that the books are more canon than the films, but as the books don't mention anything specific about this, consider Remus's admission to Harry in PoA that Lily "was there for me at a time when no one else was."

I also agree with Sapphire at Dawn that Voldemort was pretty active in '78-'79 not only for the reasons mentioned; remember that Regulus Black died in 1979 for interferring with the Horcruxes.
    noblefate: writes ~ betas ~ drabbles ~ duels ~ is a proud Turnip! ~ is an Ebil Minion

wonderful banner by minnabird

Sisena
    I agree that Lily and Remus could have been friends. To me, they seem alike, and because they are both prefects, they'd know each other. While there is no hard evidence in the books, Remus does say that Lily was there for him in a time no one else was. Obviously, this suggests them being friends, and it also suggests that this is after Snape called her a mudblood, because it seems like she knows when he says this. It is also suggested, just by this comment, that he and the other marauders had a falling out (he says no one else was there for him). You could use this in your fanfic.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by noblefate
    I know that the books are more canon than the films, but as the books don't mention anything specific about this, consider Remus's admission to Harry in PoA that Lily "was there for me at a time when no one else was."

For me the fact that it's 'movie canon' means it's not canon. Otherwise Hermione would be suffering from the 'trauma' of a tattoo on her arm rather than getting actually tortured to the point of unconsciousness by Bellatrix.

On the other hand, JK mentioned in an interview that Remus was fond of Lily but wouldn't have done anything about it because of James.

Quote Originally Posted by sisena
    It is also suggested, just by this comment, that he and the other marauders had a falling out (he says no one else was there for him). You could use this in your fanfic.
    I can't actually see the circumstances of this whilst they're at Hogwarts. Remus and the other Marauders were a tight group and they survived the Whomping Willow incident which takes place only a few months before SWM.

After Hogwarts then it's possible there was a falling out, especially as Sirius and he had a falling out and suspected each other of being the spy. Maybe Lily was the only one who stood by him.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird