Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Drabble Challenges - 2006

JaneA
    Author name: JaneA
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Deceptions
    Word count: 187
    Warnings: none.

I have been in Albus Dumbledore’s office countless times. But only once was I in it alone. And I discovered something I wished I never had.

I saw a bright, silver light shining through an elegant cupboard, and was too curious to let it go by, so I opened it and saw the Pensieve. Regarding it as a completely normal thing, I was about to close the cupboard- afraid, like a little girl, of getting caught –, when I saw an image that caught my attention.

It was a young man, appearing to be Dumbledore, speaking to a girl in a very passionate way. I decided to take a peek in it, and was soon enveloped in the memories of the Hogwarts Headmaster.

“My dear, you can’t go! Remember all we have planned for our future? We’ve talked about it, thousands of times! Why would you leave now, when we have so much ahead of us?” Asked Dumbledore, almost crying at the woman in front of him.

And when Minerva McGonagall left that memory on that fateful day, she made a decision. She would never love again.

Starmaiden
    Author: Starmaiden
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Minerva
    Word Count: 416
    Warnings: None

September, 1956

Rosie held her husband’s hand, muffling her sobs in the bedclothes. She had tried everything, all the local remedies, “cures” from far away, magic. She had even asked one of her professors from Hogwarts if there was anything to be done. He had sadly confirmed what she had always known, but never admitted, to be hopeless. This Muggle cancer could not be defeated by magic.

The magic had been so good to her, years ago. It was useless now. She clutched Breannan’s lifeless hand in hers and cried.

October

“Mrs. McGonagall, I know this is a shock, coming so soon after your husband’s death. I am sorry.”

Rosie Minerva Lennox McGonagall sat where she had never thought to be again, in the office of the Hogwarts’ Headmaster. The last time, she had spoken to Armando Dippet. Now, it was her old Transfiguration professor who looked seriously at her over half-moon glasses.

“However, I have a request for you. We are in the unusual situation of being one professor short. We have need of a Transfiguration instructor.

“Would you be willing to come back to Hogwarts, to teach? You would start in December, two months from now.”

For twelve years, “Mrs. McGonagall” had been the sweetest name of all. It outshone the “Rosie” of her carefree childhood, the “Minerva” of her eager Hogwarts days. Rosie McGonagall, a Muggle, loved her husband above all else. She had not even missed the magic when she was with Breannan.

But the sheep farm she had loved held no charm without her beloved husband. She was thirty-one. She did not want to live as a Muggle widow for the rest of her long life, alone.

Dumbledore watched her closely. The girl he had known had changed. He had seen her only once since she graduated from Hogwarts, when he had visited her sick husband. He had noticed then the glow that matrimony had given her, a happiness that had not then been masked by grief. That glow was gone now. The strict focus she had had as a determined student had settled into sternness. The quickness had turned to crispness. The happiness of her marriage had faded into despair, channeled become to quiet intractability.

Rosie was thinking. She had loved magic and learning and Hogwarts. She would have loved best to have her husband back, but as she could not –

“I would be honored, Headmaster.”

He nodded, a kind smile on his face. “Welcome back to Hogwarts, Minerva.”

kumydabookworm
    Author Name: kumydabookworm
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Stand Strong
    Word length: 488
    Warnings: HBP Spoilers

“Hogwarts cannot close! We have been a symbol of strength –”

“Leave your foolish dreams behind, Minerva. Hogwarts was destroyed when the Dark Mark rose high above it. Hogwarts crumbled from within – a betrayal by one of its own students,” Rufus Scrimgeour murmured smugly.

Minerva McGonagall stood in front of a long table, eyeing each school governor. They knew of Hogwarts’ legacy. This simply could not be allowed. She fought away tears – they would think her effeminate and weak – and glared at the Minister of Magic.

“Hogwarts is the only school for our children in all of Britain. Are you suggesting that we send our students elsewhere? Do you think that will help the magical world in a time of despair – to end its learning?”

Scrimgeour scowled. “Are you suggesting, Minerva, that we send our children to a school that cannot be considered safe? Do you think that it would be in our best interests to risk our children’s lives?”

Minerva shouted angrily, “There were no children dead that day! Hogwarts continues to be a safe place for learning! You simply cannot allow Voldemort to intimidate us into narrowing our own minds! That’s exactly what he wants!”

Scrimgeour turned towards the governors and shrugged mockingly. “Evidently, the Professor knows what Voldemort himself wants.” He turned back to Minerva, eyes triumphant. “Perhaps we should ask her where Voldemort is now. Or perhaps she knows why Harry Potter has disappeared.” His voice was poisonous, but she remained silent. She could not afford to make mistakes.

She said coldly, “If you close down Hogwarts, you will open the door for a new Dark Ages. You will allow Voldemort’s propaganda of fear and destruction to take hold in Britain. There will come a new day of ignorance and suppression. If you close down Hogwarts, you will be giving Voldemort an open door to our children.”

The hands slid up and Minerva quickly counted. Nine votes to shut down Hogwarts, three to keep it open – the battle was lost. Oh. Albus. You would have convinced them. I tried my best...but it’s never enough. What will happen to us without you?

She shut her eyes.

There are always people who will stand against you, Minerva. But if you believe in what you stand for, you will fight for it. You must never let them see you hurt or unsure. You must continue to fight until the very end. The battle can always turn.

Albus always knew the words to say. Clenching her jaw, she opened her eyes and nodded curtly at the Minister and the school governors. For students and for herself, she would fight. She would find a way.

She felt stronger than she had in a long time. The resolve and determination that Albus had inspired now flowed freely through her veins. Heart filled with hope, and mind whirling with ideas, she strode out into the sunlight.

Hogwarts must stand strong.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Author Name: Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Title: Repulsion
    Word Length:475
    Warnings: Character death... but it's canon, it's Myrtle.

It was supposed to have been the best night of her life. Her senior ball, the night that she had dreamed of since her first year. Everything should have been perfect-- she looked beautiful as always, her long black curls cascading down her back over her full-skirted green silk gown, and she had managed to get a date with Tom Riddle, the Head Boy whom she had had her eye on ever since she received her Head Girl badge. She’d been dancing all night, and she was happily exhausted, heading back to her dormitory, when she saw something that froze the blood in her veins. Several white-faced teachers were carrying something covered by a sheet-- mostly covered, that is. A plump hand flopped lifelessly from the side of it. A body. She gasped and collapsed backward…
    “Minerva.” Someone had caught her, someone who was tall and strong, whose speaking voice was smooth and polished-sounding. She looked up into the face of Tom, her date for the night. “Minerva, you must be horrified… I was just about to get you. It’s Myrtle Wachselberger, she was found dead in the girls’ restroom.”
    Minerva tried to speak, but her mouth wouldn’t obey. A girl had died at Hogwarts… it was unfathomable…
    Tom ran his hands comfortingly through her thick locks. “It will be all right,” he whispered, and he cupped her face in his hands, pulling it toward his. Her first kiss… Minerva’s lips parted as she looked up into Tom’s face. But what she saw there shocked her. His handsome, chiseled features seemed almost like those of a statue, his awaiting lips cold and unloving. His beautiful dark, almost black, eyes were hard, not showing a flicker of compassion. They were curiously empty; the heavy black ring that he always wore seemed more alive than they did.
    A spasm of disgust ran through Minerva’s slim body, and she pulled away from him, feeling a bizarre repulsion. “What is the matter?” asked Tom. The velvety, precise voice that Minerva had always admired now seemed almost robotic. His mirror-like eyes flicked toward the sheet covered body, and for an instant, they seemed almost alive, lit up from behind by a strange red glow. His upper lip twitched slightly, and Minerva suddenly realized why he seemed so unalive. The Tom Riddle she had known was nothing but a mask, a façade he wore… she couldn’t imagine what could lay behind those deceptively blank eyes.
    “What’s the matter? What’s the matter with you?” choked Minerva, and she fled down the hallway, too afraid to look back.
    She huddled in her bed in the dormitory that night, unable to sleep. Something was very, very wrong with Tom Riddle… something not quite human.
    Minerva had known that it would be a night to remember. She just never dreamed it would be like this.

Skulblaka
    Author Name: Skulblaka
    Title: Transfiguration of the Mind
    Words: 122

She sat in her first class of the year. Gazing up at the auburn-haired professor with eyes, she wondered, What if this magic really is all that they say it is?

Just then Professor Dumbledore, the handsome Transfiguration Professor, did something that made the whole class gasp in awe; with a wave of his wand, he turned his desk into a pig. Minerva was captured from then on.

For the rest of the class, she hung on to every word he said, watching most carefully, and listening with all her might. This is amazing, she thought. Soon enough I’ll be able to do this too!

Little did she know that her future held the same demonstration, wowing children the same way.

cherryandphoenixfeather
    Author Name: cherryandphoenixfeather
    Title: Personal Discovery
    Word Count: 483

She sat in the farthest corner of the library, deep in the section entitled Mythology. She had found the book she was looking for.

Minerva...the goddess of knowledge... She smiled as she ran her fingers over the words. She would always be proud to carry this name. It stood for what she was, what she wanted to be, and what she always would be.

"Miss McGonagall."

She started and hastily snapped the book shut. "Professor Dumbledore."

"It's late. Nearly midnight." The Transfiguration professor's eyebrows were raised as he stood at the end of the bookshelves, blocking her exit.

"Yes, Professor, I know." She quickly replaced the book on the shelf and smoothed her robes, trying to collect herself.

"I'm sorry. I'll get to bed."

"What were you reading?" he asked quietly in his deep voice.

"Mythology..."

"That's obvious, Minerva." He smiled.

She debated lying to him, inventing a project for Astronomy, where she had to research the names of planets, and their basis in Greek legend... But this was her favorite teacher; she never could lie to him. "I was...looking up the goddess Minerva, Professor."

His blue eyes twinkled. "I thought that might be the case."

"I've been thinking...about the career advice for fifth years."

He stepped back, and the two began walking towards the library door. "Have you considered what you would like to do?"

"Yes, Professor. I'd like to teach."

He nodded. "You'd like to take my job, you mean."

"Yes, sir-- I mean--" she hastily amended, "once you're no longer teaching, I'd like to teach Transfiguration."

"No longer teaching?"

"The Ministry's considering replacing Professor Dippet as Headmaster," Minerva elaborated. "After Myrtle... and I just thought that you, sir..."

"Would make a fine Headmaster? I'm very honored that you think so, Minerva."

She inclined her head as they began to ascend the first flight of stairs that would eventually leave them at Gryffindor Tower. "Anyways...Minerva was the goddess of knowledge. It seems appropriate to me that I become a teacher."

"And I am sure you would be excellent, Minerva." He glanced at her. "Teachers, however, are examples of rules. I should hardly think that a teacher would be out and about so late."

She flushed slightly. "I'm sorry, sir. I'll understand if you take points."

"Take points from my own prefect? Bite your tongue." He bowed slightly as they reached the Fat Lady's portrait.

"Besides, even perfect examples may break rules when personal discovery is imminent. Good night, Minerva."

"Thank you, sir. Good night." Minerva reached out to awaken the Fat Lady, then stopped and turned back to Dumbledore. "Professor."

He turned back to her, his expression inquiring.

"Why were you out so late, if you don't mind my asking?"

His eyes twinkled behind his half-moon glasses. "Personal discovery, my dear." He bowed again and walked away, humming slightly to himself.

A very strange man... Minerva thought with a smile.

whittyleah
    Author Name: Whittyleah
    Title: Untitled
    Word length: 416

At the age of thirty-one Minerva McGonagall was working in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, as one of the assistants to the Wizengamot. Filing paper work, setting-up the court room for hearings, and taking the minutes of meetings was her job.

She was going stir crazy.

Her job left her wanting more, it wasn't in the least bit intellectually simulating. Sometimes an interesting case would come along and grab her attention, but that was it. There was one good thing about her job though.

Albus Dumbledore.

He had been her Transfiguration teacher. His classes held every students attention. They were mentally challenging in way that made the students want to do better. It had quickly became her favorite subject. And Albus Dumbledore was her favorite teacher.

He was a member of the Wizengamot and was rumored to, possibly, one day head it. He had become the Headmaster of Hogwarts the year before and everyone was already saying he was the best Headmaster in Hogwarts history.

Minerva was a little ashamed to admit it, she had a crush on Albus Dumbledore. He was intelligent, caring, and a little goofy at times, but it fit him, so it was all right.

She saw him once a week. Those days were the ones she looked forward to. It was like clock work, he would get there half an hour before the meeting started and speak with her. One day though, he came even earlier.

"Ah, Miss McGonagall, just the person I was looking for." Albus' voice sounded from above her.

Minerva lifted her head from the paper she had been staring at for the last twenty minutes.

"Professor Dumbledore, how are you?"

"I quite well. I see you're work is...simulating." his blue eyes twinkled.

"Oh, it is very, sir." she said hoping to sound sincere.

"Have you ever thought about a different field of work?"

"All the time." she answered before she could stop the words from coming out of her mouth.

Dumbledore chuckled at her response.

"How would you like to teach?" he asked.

"It would depend on the subject."

"Well then, now that I'm the Headmaster at Hogwarts, we need a new Transfiguration teacher, would you be interested?" he asked with that twinkle never leaving his eyes.

"Yes, I would be very interested!"

Minerva told herself she took the job because she really wanted to teach. But, she also knew that living in the same castle with Albus Dumbledore again was a really good reason too.

Third Year Gryffindor
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Name- wendelin the wierd
    House- Gryffindor
    Title- empty
    Length- 353 words
    Warnings- CD

Minerva McGonagall looked down at the dusty floor. It was old and cracked, worn by generations of students walking on it, but it still stood, never again returning to it’s former glory. It would never gleam as it once did. It had lost it’s shine

She understood it perfectly. She walked up and down wondering what she had done to deserve this, she had always been a perfect little sister to him. Above all, she loved him. That’s it, she thought angrily, I did nothing to deserve this.

When her classmates had bullied her around or called her an ‘insufferable know-it-all', he had always been there to protect her. Gradually they left her alone. He was her shield against the world and the perfect big brother. He willingly listened and helped her as she poured out her troubled feelings to him. His warm words of comfort and praise were exactly what she had needed, a shoulder to cry on. They had quarreled at times of course but it was quickly made up especially when he had treated her to one of Florence Fortescue’s ice- creams. She had only been twelve then.

She was seventeen now, and this was to be her last year at Hogwarts, the one place which felt like home, the place where both of them had been the most happy, the one place which reminded her of him….

But now he was dead, leaving her alone, with nobody beside her, nobody to comfort her or reassure her that everything would be alright. She was scared.

A door opened softly and Dumbledore quietly walked over to where she stood.

‘Good evening sir.’ Her voice got caught in her throat.

‘Good evening, Minerva,’ he replied his voice carrying a hint of sadness. ‘He was a remarkable young man. I am sorry.’

He was the only one who hadn’t told her that ‘the angels were watching over her brother.’ or that ‘He has moved on to a better place.’ or any of the other useless comments which all her friends had offered her.

He had just said, ‘I am sorry.’

And she knew he meant it.
    Banner by the wonderful Minnabird
    Author Page ~ Banner thread ~
    PI Accredition

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Name: Gemma Hawk
    Title: Passion
    Word Count: 234 words
    Warnings: None!

There is something so sweet about pursuing a passion. It makes you feel as though you’re doing something, as though you’re making a difference for yourself and others. It makes you happy, and you think about it constantly, this passion of yours.

But it is even sweeter to achieve this passion. After years of training and learning, Minerva McGonagall was ready to begin teaching Transfiguration. It had taken her twelve years, but now she was there. Minerva was standing outside the Hogwarts castle, her trunk beside her.

She was, of course, supposed to knock. Headmaster Dumbledore had told her that much.

“Knock and the door will be opened. Once inside you will be directed to my office.”

Minerva just needed to knock. She just needed to raise her hand and tap it against the hard, wooden doors.

So why didn’t she? She asked herself this question, but there seemed to be something life changing about knocking. She wasn’t afraid, not nervous either.

She had to say goodbye to her life as a student here, as someone always striving to become a teacher, to an actual teacher. It was almost frightening to think about.

But what was the point in waiting to knock when she had to get in there at some point?

Raising her hand, she knocked on the door.

And from then on, Minerva didn’t dream of her passion, she lived in it.
    You'll love it.

Banner and avatar by me

evanescence17

Character Drabble entry

Author Name: evanescence17
    Title: A Mother’s love
    Word length: 310

Note: the starting lines have been taken from CoS (Pg 214)

A Mother's Love
    ‘Potter! Weasley! What are you doing?’

It was Professor McGonagall, and her mouth was the thinnest of thin lines.

‘We were – we were - ’ Ron stammered, ‘we were going to – to go and see - ’

‘Hermione,’ said Harry. Ron and Professor McGonagall both looked at him.

‘We haven’t seen her for ages, Professor,’ Harry went on hurriedly, treading on Ron’s foot, ‘and we thought we’d sneak into the hospital wing, you know and tell her the Mandrakes are nearly ready and, er, not to worry.’

Professor McGonagall was still staring at him, suddenly remembering something she'd hoped she'd forgotten long ago ...

‘Mother, look what I found in the shrubs behind our house,’ he held out his tiny palms and there lay a tiny sapling of an innocent looking plant. ‘Do you think I could use it for my fun potion?’ he asked, unable to contain his excitement.

Minerva smiled as she saw the emerging talents of her nine-year-old son as a potion maker. ‘Sure you can Tony. Just be careful,’ she replied gently.

And she returned to the book she was browsing through: ADVANCED ANIMAGUS. Hardly an hour had passed when she thought she heard a rasping noise.

‘Moth..er..mo…ther,’ came the faint gasps from the backyard. Minerva McGonagall threw away her book in her hurry to go and check if everything all right. But on arriving, a horrible sight greeted her. The cauldron had tumbled down and a garish blue potion was splashed on his torso. Minerva McGonagall had her eyes only for dying son as he gasped for air. ‘Moth..er,’ he whispered, his arms finally falling limply beside him. Minerva ran to his side, but it's too late...

...and for a moment, Harry thought she was going to explode, but when she spoke, it was in a strangely croaky voice.

‘Of course, she said, and Harry was amazed to see a tear glistening in her beady eye. ‘It must have been hardest on the people who are the closest to...'

'...I quite understand…’

This is horribly un-betad, so bear with me...