Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ideas Station

avenger_of_dumbldore
    I am a Gryffindor looking for a partner for the pairing drabbles, but will not be here after a few days, so would need to find a partner and get writing fast.

UPDATE: I have to get somthing done to my PC earlyer then I thought, so I cant take part in this... sorry!

whatapotter
    The new weekly drabble challenge looks like lots of fun! I am, however, partnerless - so I'm a Hufflepuff searching for a partner. Anyone wanting to check out my writing can go to my author page here.

PM me if you're interested! xx

EDIT: Partner found! xx

Sour.Apple.
    I've recently found my way into the new Weekly Drabble and it looks interesting. Now, the only problem is finding a non-Slytherin person to pair up with. Any takers? Just PM me if you feel up to the challenge(>_<) My grammars decent, but sometimes my muse is lacking.

[EDIT] Writer found. ^_^

Oppungo
    I'm a Gryffindor looking for a partner for the latest Weekly Drabble contest. There's a link to my author page here, and I've won a few of these drabble contests before... *Goes off to find obviously lost modesty* PM me if you're interested!

EDIT: MrTibbles has just agreed to be partner! Good luck to everyone else!

Dean Thomas
    Gryffindor looking for a partner in the "Pairing Up" Weekly drabble contest. I've written two before and received an honorable mention (I suppose I could call it that, I got five points for some reason) for the McGonagall drabble contest.

Links to my fics in sig for a sample of my writing. PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: Partner found.

AJ Seawiel
    >.>
    <.<

I feel like I'm designing a Classifeids ad... with that in mind:

Slytherin. Looking for partner from another house for Partner drabble. Must be openminded to my ideas and must have some of their own. Must be good at grammar. Must be prompt and dedicated to project. Doesn't have to be good at humor. (Although, that'd be nice.)
    Notes on Self: Has entered two previous drabble challenges so is fairly new to drabble writing. Has a oneshot and first chapter of a WIP posted; link to author's page in siggy. PM AJ Seawiel if interested. I look forward to working with you!

Cheers,
    AJ

Undividable410
    wow, there are a lot of people that have posted these things looking for partners for the drabble contest.

I'm in Slytherin and looking for somebody to pair up with. If you want to look at some of my writing, you can click on the greyscale banner in my siggy. It will take you to one of my stories. I also have posted in the last two weekly challenges.

I'll edit this when I have found somebody.

Also, good luck to everybody participating in the challenge!

~Sarah Rose

EDIT: I have found a partner,

Periwinkle
    Not seen a lot of discussing in here lately, so here's a TQ:

A lot of information vs. little information

We've seen lengthy drabbles out there and we've seen short, simple drabbles. Some have many details, explanations and info while others are straightforward, clear and easy to read. Some authors might say that longer fics are better because the author has included more information and therefore gives the reader more to work with. Others argue that shorter drabbles are better because they're short, simple and therefore more effective.

So what kind of drabble do you prefer? Do you have a preference at all?

Discuss.

Undividable410
    Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle
    Not seen a lot of discussing in here lately, so here's a TQ:

We've seen lengthy drabbles out there and we've seen short, simple drabbles. Some have many details, explanations and info while others are straightforward, clear and easy to read. Some authors might say that longer fics are better because the author has included more information and therefore gives the reader more to work with. Others argue that shorter drabbles are better because they're short, simple and therefore more effective.

So what kind of drabble do you prefer? Do you have a preference at all?

Discuss.
    I guess it would depend on the type of effect you are trying to give your reader. I think a more moderate amount of detail is good, since drabbles are supposed to be short and we don't really need to know too much about, let's say, how a cat cleaned itself. The main topic is always important to consider. Is somethign happening that needs to be explained? Or is the main event something that the reader can assume the background information for.

If the author is going to leave a lasting effect on their readers, details can be very helpful, but too many can bore a reader. Take for example, a short Marauder's era drabble, with the classic James and Sirius pulling pranks on Snape. We want to know what types of jinxes and and curses they put on him, how he reacted, where it all took place, and what effect it had on the characters as a whole. We don't however want to know the exact colors of each of their shirts, pants, socks, shoes, shoelaces, you name it. Nor do we care to hear about the perfect, or crummy if you prefer, weather conditions if the scene takes place inside, unless it relates directly to the mood of the drabble. A case where weather may be important is if you were saying something such as "With the dark, foggy weather looming just outside the castle, Snape's day was already quite unpleasant. The hanging moisture had soaked his robes, and he was surely feeling quite depressed when..."

If you are going to have something seeming more dramatic and artistic, details are your friend. If you are going to quickly explain something that has happened so that there is a better understanding of another event, the basic facts will do.

Personally, I love details, especially if they create a mood or get inside the head of a character. Any time an author uses the perfect adjectives to describe what is going through a characters mind, I'm practically in heaven.

Periwinkle
    Time for me to answer my discussion queries...

I think it all comes down to what genre you're writing.

Genre

For romance drabbles, I think more information is better as opposed to little information. In romance, generally we want to know as much as we can about the characters, what's happening around them and how they got to where they are now. You want to know their history, their thoughts etc. By gaining this information, you can make your own opinion concerning them.

Now, this doesn't apply to say, a Dark drabble. In Dark drabbles, authors tend to go towards the mysterious aspect of them, giving as little information as they can and yet giving enough so the reader feels thoroughly energized. For example -- do you, as a reader, want to know how Draco got there, who was with him and what their plans are? Most likely the answer is no. For Dark drabbles, you want to form your own ideas as to what the characters are going to do. We can't forget sentence length here, either. Authors will be all the more likely to include passive sentences, shorter sentences and more punctual phrases to build up the suspense, something you won't see as much in other genres.

There are, however, exceptions to each genre. Sometimes you want to know as little as you can, other times you want to know as much. Your personality plays a role too.