Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Para Bailar La Babble, Se Necesita una Cuarenta y Cinco!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Hello, everyone!

I'm actually so happy I just took the leap to join. The waffling has been going on for a year, I tell you :/

Ironically, I was drinking coffee as I read all that, but I do really enjoy tea as well. I'm an orange pekoe girl myself, though I do drink a variety of herbal teas, and "bedtime" tea when I'm stressed.

That banner is gorgeous! Haha, yay! I'm so glad to be here!

Maple
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

MissMeg
    Welcome Maple! It's wonderful how SPEW is getting bigger!
    -Meg

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Hello, SPEW-ers Terribly sorry about my unplanned hiatus, but I'm back now... What have I missed?

Oh, and welcome fellow newbies
    Student * Wannabe Author * IB Survivor * Ravenclaw

Also known as Ithinkrabis2people - nothing like a crackpot theory that doesn't work out

MissMeg
    I'm required to write several reviews for my English class (which are being due tomorrow), and I'm thoroughly not enjoying writing them. They take the same amount of effort I would give to a SPEW review, and I know that nobody but my teacher will read them. I really appreciate when I get lots of indepth feedback on my stories, and I enjoy knowing that the author will appreciate and benefit from my reviews. Since I'm reviewing published books for English class, I know the author isn't going to read or benefit from my review (especially since the author of one of the books I'm reviewing is dead), and it seems rather pointless to spend two hours that I could spend writing a review that would be read and appreciated by an author here, who would hopefully benefit from my critiques. I'm curious about what you all think about writing reviews for published books:

TQ: Do you ever write reviews for published works? Do you enjoy writing them as much as you enjoy writing reviews for authors on Mugglenet Fanfiction and other fanfiction sites?

My enjoyment of the assignment was also not helped by the fact that the review my teacher wrote for an example was not up to SPEW standard. She spent most of the review waffling about how she dreamed about the characters, and other things along those lines, and very, very little space was used for actual critique/recommendation.

I now probably should get back to writing the last review for English and studying for the rest of my exams. *sigh*
    -Meg

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Quick Question: What is LoveNotes? :S

TQ: Do you ever write reviews for published works? Do you enjoy writing them as much as you enjoy writing reviews for authors on Mugglenet Fanfiction and other fanfiction sites?

I can't say that I have done, not since school at least. In fact, I think that may have been a homework thing once or twice, but we're talking 5ish years ago, so I honstly can't remember! I suppose that, even if the writer doesn't benefit from them, you will, because to articulate how you feel about the piece on paper might highlight areas you yourself could improve, if you see what I mean? I mean, I suppose you could achieve the same thing with SPEW as well.

Although if your teacher is useless, then it's generally a pointless exercise anyway! :P

Also known as Ithinkrabis2people - nothing like a crackpot theory that doesn't work out

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Enemies of the Heir, Beware...of the Petrified Cat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Quick Question: What is LoveNotes? :S
    Alex, LoveNotes is when we write drabbles for each other featuring certain pairings. It's kind of like a story swap, only with drabbles, and there are a lot more of them I've received some lovely ones so far (I <3 whoever wrote them ) and it's a tradition in SPEW apparently. I haven't been around long enough to know, though, lol.

Do you ever write reviews for published works? Do you enjoy writing them as much as you enjoy writing reviews for authors on Mugglenet Fanfiction and other fanfiction sites?

Um, no, not really, unless squeeing over the last episode of Sherlock and discussing theories on LJ counts XD Tbh, I don't have a blog or anything for me to post reviews on, apart from Livejournal, and I don't post on it often enough for people to care if I did review stuff. Also, since October 2011, I have read -- I kid you not -- one novel. I started reading Great Expectations two weeks ago, and I haven't got very far >.< It's my final GCSE year and reading books has become a luxury rather than a given, which is a shame because there are lots of books I'm eager to read atm.

And would I enjoy reviewing other works as much as MNFF reviews? I don't think I would because one of the things I love about reviewing is that authors respond to reviews. You wouldn't get that if you just reviewed something else for fun/because you had to. I like to know what the author thinks of what I think, if that makes sense. Or, failing that, I would like to at least know that the author acknowledged the fact that I reviewed them.
    Last edited by babewithbrains; 01-24-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Oh, thanks, Soroya! How does one get involved in this?

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Enemies of the Heir, Beware...of the Petrified Cat!
    Alex, here's the thread about everything to do with LoveNotes, but I'm afraid the deadline's already passed :S

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Ahhh, I see... my bad! Thanks anyway!

How is everyone?

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Alex, if you want to participate in LoveNotes, as you really didn't get the chance to sign up, feel free to go ahead. At the very least it will give those who had their eye on certain pairings only to have someone swoop in and take them the chance to look at some new ones.

I'm feeling magnanimous, heeee.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.