Thread: Limits of 'Accidental' Magic

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

Sitting in a corner writing suspiciously.

Limits of 'Accidental' Magic

Okay, so we know that in canon the young pre-hogwarts children are capable of doing magic when under duress and are also sometimes able to manage some early control (such as Lily in DH) but how far would these abilities go?
    In PS Harry apparates onto the roof of his school and regrows his hair, and Lily in DH manages to control the growth of a flower. Ron mentions that the twins once turned his Teddy into a spider pre-Hogwarts. But how powerful/varied could a child's magic be?

(This initially occured to me because I was planning out at fic in which the younger sister of a Muggleborn student uses 'accidental' magic to apperate to help her sibling several miles away and I was worried it was implausible, but then I got to thinking about it more generally.

Ascendio
    Well I think that your situation would actually be plausible, seeing as it seems accidental magic works mostly under severe situations when the character is under a lot of stress, almost like an adrenaline jolt. But then again, in cases like Lily Evans and most especially Tom Riddle, they can control it. With Riddle, he could even sense that he had some sort of special power, while Lily and Harry just seem to think there's something a little different with them.

Tom appeared to have a lot of control of his magic even from before knowing wizards exist, so I think it depends on the ability of the wizard themselves. Neville wasn't able to use his magic until it was a life or death situation, and he wasn't very talented at all at first, while Voldemort excelled in school.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    This initially occured to me because I was planning out at fic in which the younger sister of a Muggleborn student uses 'accidental' magic to apperate to help her sibling several miles away and I was worried it was implausible, but then I got to thinking about it more generally.
    I'd be very wary of this. Harry landing on the roof might not be Apparition, but him flying - like Lily seems to do when she's hovering in the air after jumping from the swings. It's also a very short distance - not the miles you're talking of - and it's accidental. The situation you're describing sounds deliberate. She knows she needs to rescue her sister whereas Harry just wanted to escape.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird