Thread: Need help with Post Hogwarts information!!

Hybrid View

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow

Need help with Post Hogwarts information!!

Okay first off let me apologize if this is not where this post is suppose to go. Ive looked all in the filing cabinets and can not find a post that helps me with the information I am looking for. Although my story is AU I want to keep as much canon information as possible.
    Okay so here is what I need to know.
    I know that the first appearance of the next gen. kids takes place 19 years later in 2017. At this time James has already attended Hogwarts, and Albus is entering his first year. Now from what I can find looking on here and the internet. it says that Albus was born between Sept 05-aug 06 which would make him between 10-11
    It says that Lily was born between Sept 07- Aug 08 which would make her between 8 or 9
    However I cant find any information on the date or age of James or what Year he would have been in. It seems to me that since Albus and Lily are close in age. that James and Albus would be close in age also.

Okay so now ive rambled on enough and Im losing the point. My story takes place in the month before Ginny finds out she is pregnant with James. So what I need is a suggestion as to the time frame of this.
    How long after the battle would Harry and Ginny have married and How long after would she have found out she was pregnant with James.

I hope this all makes sense!
    Thanks
    Mandi

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    There isn't a date for James' birth, but I would imagine that he's at most two years older than Albus, but I think it could only be one. The way Ginny tells Albus in the epilogue that they wrote to James three times a week last year seems to me that she was reassuring him as it was his first year. James doesn't seem to be the type of boy who would still be shy or nervous and need constant letters at home in his second year, but also, the way he acts seems a little immature, so I can't imagine him being more than thirteen.

You've got a free reign with his birth, but in my opinion, James is a year older than Albus, so his birth would have been in 2004 or 2005. As to how long Harry and Ginny have been married/together before James is born, it's really up to you and how you characterise their relationship.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    I can't find information on James's exact age either, but we know he's at least a year older than Albus (Sapphire at Dawn's interpretation of the scene seems right to me; I would guess he's only a year older). Therefore, he must have been born, at the very latest, in August of 2005, meaning he would have been conceived (again, at the latest) in late 2004.

You do have a lot of free reign with Ginny and Harry's relationship, and I'd say however you interpret their relationship would be fine as long as you justify it. Some things to keep in mind:

1. Ginny still had a year left at Hogwarts at the end of DH, so they couldn't have gotten married before the summer of 1999.

2. Ginny had time to establish herself as a professional Quidditch player before having children, so I'd say the later you can make James's birth, the more logical it would be.
    Eliza

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow

thanks guys! my story is AU like i stated but I do want to keep some of the more important information as true to the storys as possible. seeing as my story is going to be about fred not being dead (because I still refuse to accept that fact that his is lol) I will be changing a few things here and there LOL

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessed_with_jo View Post
    1. Ginny still had a year left at Hogwarts at the end of DH, so they couldn't have gotten married before the summer of 1999.

2. Ginny had time to establish herself as a professional Quidditch player before having children, so I'd say the later you can make James's birth, the more logical it would be.
    Also, the way JKR states it, Ginny played for the Harpies for "a few years...to become the Senior Quidditch correspondent at the Daily Prophet!" (JKR webchat about DH from 30 July 2007). Given that she'd finish Hogwarts by 1999, and Albus is born Sept 2005 (at the earliest), it's safe to say that James is a year, maybe two, older than his brother. Any more with that and Ginny doesn't have time to play Quidditch before starting a family.
    noblefate: writes ~ betas ~ drabbles ~ duels ~ is a proud Turnip! ~ is an Ebil Minion

wonderful banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Hi

Everyone has given you really great answers, I'd just add that, if you make James a second year in the epilogue (I did) then his birthday is 01 September 2004 to 31 August 2005. But, if you puch for an August 05 birthday that meand that Albus,, was conceived within 3 months of Jame's birth. Not impossible, but unlikely, in my opinion.

It's actually possible to make Lily and Al closer in age that James and Al.

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    I expect since Ginny said they wrote to him 3 times a week last year means he was a first year. I expect he'd be born between 01 September 2004 to 31 August 2005. I am writing a next gen fic about him and I have him as April 29 05 and Al 31 August 06.

Nidhi
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!

Ginny_Weasley
    What on Earth did Ginny wear to the Yule Ball? I need full description.. I'm doing an essay on Ginny and the Yule Ball for my teacher and I need this ASAP!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Hi Ginny_Weasley! You might get more responses if you start a new thread with this question.

I don't think Ginny's Yule Ball outfit is ever mentioned in the text...you can take a look at what she wore in the movies, but that's not really canon. Whatever she wore, I think you can count on it being secondhand (judging by Ron's robes) and purchased fairly hastily (she was a third-year, so she wouldn't have known she was going until she agreed to be Neville's date).
    Eliza