Thread: Character search?

Essence_of_Lily

Character search?

Hi,

Recently, I've been wanting to read som Katie/Oliver stories, and so far, I've only been able to find one: Into the Ashes by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor. I'd love to read some more, but I haven't had any luck finding any in the Other Pairing category. Maybe there should be a more specific search for a fic, like, using characters? There's a search like that on Fanfiction.net if you want to know what I mean, and it does help a lot with trying to find fics that are rarepairs.

Clone Club Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Ultimate Chess
    That would be great...however I believe at the moment it's impossible to get up. There's a ton of problems going on with the site and trying to add this on top of it all would be verrryyy difficult. However once the problems all get solved, I think this would be a wonderful idea. Not sure how hard it would be to do, though, and it might not work as well as you would hope.

_Lily_
    Lily Writes ♥ alisonhendrxes blogs ♥ @lilysinsistence tweets

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    I agree. I think it's a great idea, but I doubt it will work very well. There are so many characters and bugs in the site that it would take forever to get up and running.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeanauror View Post
    I agree. I think it's a great idea, but I doubt it will work very well. There are so many characters and bugs in the site that it would take forever to get up and running.
    That really isn't so much the issue than there are so many previously existing stories which would have to be retagged with the new software, it's almost not worth the effort. Only a small fraction of the authors on the site are still active and would be aware of the change in order to edit their stories. It simply doesn't make it practical at this point. I'm afraid sifting through the summaries is pretty much the only way to go about things at this point.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Unless of course we have more pairing search options for some of the more popular yet unlisted pairings.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    It's a great idea, but I agree with the others that with all the other bugs the site's got going on it'd probably be a lot to try and do right now.

However

I DEFINITELY think there should be more search options so that you can search specifically for certain pairings. For example, I think Ted/Andromeda really should have a category to themselves, I'm so sick of trying to narrow things down using the advanced search. I mean, it works to some extent, but the amount of Andromeda/insert-death-eater-name-here fics I've stumbled upon by mistake when I'm trying to get to a romance fic that is actually and only about Ted/Andromeda is getting really irritating. Definitely go for more search options. There's not even a Neville/Luna category!
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    I think the problem with having it by character is that, like someone else said earlier, it would only apply to stories published from a certain point, meaning older, but definitely applicable stories, go unread.

I think the best way to search for a specific pairing is to ask in the Fiction Junction- there you can be as specific as you want. Also not every Ted/Andromeda story (or similar pairing) would fit into a Ted/Andromeda category- I've written a Ted/Andromeda romance, admittedly with other characters as equally important, but for that reason wouldn't place it there. Some people place the stories by categories/ timeline/overall mood but most importantly its where the author felt their fic would be best represented. I think its an advantage of MNFF that you can only place a story in one category, even though it could work well in several, as that is much easier to understand than having several category options. Also from the summary/ knowledge of an author's style/ scan read of reviews, you can usually tell what the story's focus will be.

Also if there is a story which you want to read, but you can't find, then maybe try and write it yourself- other people might be wanting the same thing, and if you think you'd enjoy reading it, then there's a good chance you'll enjoy writing it.

Just my thoughts-
    Banner by Minna.

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Why Are We Looking for Trevor Right now?
    If you're searching for something specific in other pairing and having trouble finding it, try using ctrl+F. I've noticed that most authors list the pairing within their summary. So rather than trudging through hundreds of summaries, if say you're looking for an Oliver/Katie use ctrl+F to search 'Oliver/Katie' or just 'Oliver' while you're viewing the list of other pairings. Every time his name is listed in a summary will then be flagged for you and you can just read those summaries over instead of looking through countless summaries and finding nothing.

Just my two knuts!

-Ash
    Probably on Permanant Hiatus

Banner links to my new story Pictures in the Life of a Werewolf! Feel free to read and review!

Banner by the Amazing Nadia/majestic_ginny