Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What color is Firewhiskey?

Hybrid View

alex13

What color is Firewhiskey?

what is the color of firewhiskey?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I don't know if it ever says the colour, it's not on the Lexicon. I would imagine that it'd be like most whiskys and be a brownish-amber, perhaps with reddish or orange tones, considering the name is Firewhisky. In PS/SS, Hagrid takes out a bottle of amber liquid and gives it a swig, perhaps this is it.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

alex13
    thank you very much

keara96
    I would agree with Sarah about the color. That would make since.
    On a slightly differant note, I was wondering about alchoholic beverages in the wizarding world and if there would be a "drinking age." What I've also always kind of wondered is if Butterbeer is alchoholic or not. (If it is that would answer my question about the drinking age, because The Trio for instance drink it in their first year.) I've always thought of it as a kind of like root beer. Not the flavor, but...

This is not really neccesary info for me to know, but since we were on the topic...
    Last edited by keara96; 10-07-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    In Order of the Pheonix, Winky gets drunk of off Butterbeer. Harry states its not at all strong, so it would have a very small amount of aclohol.

As for a drinking age, I know they can't normally buy anything stronger than Butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks while the Trio is in school, but I don't know if it means anything.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by keara96 View Post
    I was wondering about alchoholic beverages in the wizarding world and if there would be a "drinking age." What I've also always kind of wondered is if Butterbeer is alchoholic or not. (If it is that would answer my question about the drinking age, because The Trio for instance drink it in their first year.) I've always thought of it as a kind of like root beer. Not the flavor, but...

This is not really neccesary info for me to know, but since we were on the topic...

We know of Butterbeer, Elf-made wine and Firewisky. There must be more (Djinn, anyone?)

I’ve always assumed that “drinking age” is the same as “legally adult” because that's the way it is in the UK. For Muggles, that’s 18, for wizards (presumably) 17.

Ron and Hermione first drink Butterbeer in their third years, when they go to Hogsmeade, so does Harry, but not until later. For the reasons Maple says, Butterbeer must be alcoholic.

Is it legal for kids to drink it? Obviously, yes.

That isn’t a problem, because in the UK, legally, anything with ABV (alcohol by volume) of less than 1.2% is classed as a soft drink. Bottled shandies and (some) brewed ginger beers are alcoholic. These “soft drinks” usually have an ABV of 0.5%. So you’d have to drink ten pints of the stuff to get the alcohol equivalent of a pint of beer.

As a Brit, I’m not even sure what root beet is. I tried it once (when I was in Canada) and didn’t like it much. It was rather like Dandelion and Burdock (which I never liked).

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

LittleJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    As a Brit, I’m not even sure what root beet is. I tried it once (when I was in Canada) and didn’t like it much. It was rather like Dandelion and Burdock (which I never liked).

-N-
    It's not alcoholic. That much I'm sure of. But, hey, I live in the US and I don't like the stuff either, lol.

I always thought Butterbeer was like a cream soda or something of the sort. Does anybody know what they are really using for the Harry Potter castle in Orlando? I know they are selling stuff for the tourists called "Butterbeer," but since kids can drink it and it's in the US, I'd assume it's not alcoholic. As a fan, I would hope that it followed JKR's vision for what it should be like.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Just to add a touch to the conversation about drinking age, I'm fairly sure that while in the Hog's Head in OoTP , Ron jokes that the man at the bar (presumably Aberforth) would probably sell them Firewhiskey if they asked, and Hermione says that they're prefects and couldn't. So presumably, the drinking age is above 16 (Hermione's age at that point) and therefore must be 17, since Harry drinks Firewhiskey in DH.
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor Lupin View Post
    I'm fairly sure that while in the Hog's Head in OoTP , Ron jokes that the man at the bar (presumably Aberforth) would probably sell them Firewhiskey if they asked, and Hermione says that they're prefects and couldn't.
    True, and that's what I base my "seventeen" comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor Lupin View Post
    So presumably, the drinking age is above 16 (Hermione's age at that point) and therefore must be 17, since Harry drinks Firewhiskey in DH.
    Harry first tasted Firewhisky in DH, when he got to the Burrow. That was immediately after Hedwig and Moody were killed. He was sixteen (very nearly seventeen, but still a few days away). I don't have my books handy, but I think Ginny drank some, too, and she was fifteen. Underage drinking!

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    I'm pretty sure butterbeer must be very mildly alcoholic. After all Winky gets drunk on the stuff therefore it has to be. But since it seems to be the norm for 13/14 year olds to drink it, it can't be that alcoholic.
    Banner by Minna.