Thread: Seventh Annual Secret SPEW!!! *SIGNUPS*

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

Seventh Annual Secret SPEW!!! *SIGNUPS*

SECRET SPEW VII!

Sign-ups run from now until October 10th, and assignments will be sent out no later than October 12th.

Stories are due December 15th, and will be posted beginning December 24th.

Sign-Up Guidelines / Rules:
    • Post your request in this thread by Wednesday, October 10th.
    • Requests should not contain anything inappropriate for MNFF.
    • If you are currently or will be on hiatus through the duration of the swap, you may still participate, but ONLY if you can guarantee that you will still be able to turn in a gift on time. If you do sign up during a hiatus and fail to make the deadline, it will bar you from participation in the following two story exchanges. Please, donít make me do that.
    • Do not request a fic if you are not absolutely sure you will be able to take the time to write one for someone else. If you have to pull out due to unforeseen circumstances, then please notify me as soon as possible so that I can arrange for another story to be written. I CANNOT stress this enough, guys. It's a killer trying to find someone to write a pinch-hit two days before the fics are to be posted (especially in the Christmas season).
    • This is a SECRET swap. Don't let anyone know who you're writing for under any circumstances. If, of course, you use a SPEWer as your beta then they might figure it out/need to know, but they can't tell anyone either (obviously).
    • Use this format for your request post:
      PHP Code:
      [b][u]What Youíd Like to Receive[/u][/b]

[
      B]Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: [/b]
      [
      b]Prompt(s): [/b](Try not to be too restrictiveTheyíre writing the story for younot youJust give helpful suggestions for guidance.)
      [
      b]Preferred Rating Level: [/b](If you donít like smutsay so. If you donít like family-friendly fluffthis is where you ward off Ye Fluffy Bunnies.)
      [
      b]Mood/Themes: [/b
      [
      b]Squicks: [/b](These are things you wish NOT to receive. If you donít want slashsame-sex pairingscross-generational romanceSirius daughtersHarry siblings, or forgotten Maraudersdraw your line in the sand HERE.)
      [
      b]Warnings out of your comfort zone: [/b]

[
      b][u]Your Writing Preferences[/u][/b]

[
      b]Limitations: [/B](characters you canít seem to get rightgenres with which youíre not very familiarPOVs you donít like overmuch)
      [
      b]Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: [/b]
      [
      b]Your Writing Peeves: [/b](Things that would make your eyes and fingers bleed to write)
      [
      b]Warnings out of your comfort zone: [/b
    • Please try to make all stories wintry or holiday-ish in some way. It doesn't have to be overwhelming, even just the setting. Remember to keep in mind who you're writing for. When requesting, feel free to mention a winter or holiday theme you'd like, or alternatively anything you don't want.

Submission Guidelines / Rules:
    • The story must be betaed and the beta credited in your author notes. There are no exceptions. Don't PM to ask if it's really mandatory, I'll say that it is.
    • All stories should be rated appropriately for the recipient [meaning their taste, not their age.] If you're writing for someone who does not generally venture into 6th-7th Years / Professors, then do not write that kind of fic. Also, this pertains to content and warnings, as well.
    • If you wish to include smut and you know the person you're writing for will enjoy reading it, then you may write it. It will be posted on spewswap, which has no rating guidelines. However, keep it in the realm of good taste and no themes contradictory to MNFF submission guidelines (incest, bestiality, heavy kink (though if I have to explain this theme, chances are you wonít end up writing it anyway). . .you get the idea.
    • When submitting your story, please include this header:
      Title:
      For:
      Characters/Pairings:
      Rating:
      Warnings (if any):
      Authorís Note:
    • If desired, please also include a note from you to your recipient.
    • Stories do not need HTML tags for me to post them to the spewswap community. I only ask that you double-space your paragraphs as you would when submitting a fic to MNFF (a complete empty space after each paragraph. If you use MS Word, make sure the Add Space After Paragraph is NOT being used, as LJ deletes these spaces now >.<).
    • Stories should be emailed to me [Jess] by the due-date. If you donít know my email already, PM me and I will give it to you. Please send it as an attachment. Do not put the text in the body of the e-mail.

All stories due December 15th.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    What You’d Like to Receive

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: I'm a big fan of dark/angsty but also the opposite, shameless fluff. I love minor characters but also if you can write a major one with a minor one, that would be brilliant (particularly a rarepair). I'm a big fan of SSP too, especially femmeslash. Any POV is fine.
    Prompt(s): (Try not to be too restrictive. They’re writing the story for you, not you. Just give helpful suggestions for guidance.) Any song by Adele! My favourite ones currently are Set Fire To The Rain, Turning Tables and Someone Like You.

And just some more one- or two-word prompts: fire, friends, princess, red, rose, rain, dance, ice, hot, honey.

And if you're still not inspired, perhaps a missing moment from the books, preferably one of the last three (that includes between the last chapter of DH and the epilogue).
    Preferred Rating Level: (If you don’t like smut, say so. If you don’t like family-friendly fluff, this is where you ward off Ye Fluffy Bunnies.) I actually don't mind smut as long as it's 6th-7th or lower. No Professors, okay? I have no problem with violence and you can swear all you like. It doesn't faze me.
    Mood/Themes: Dark is always a favourite. If it's romance, bittersweet is my favourite mood.
    Squicks: (These are things you wish NOT to receive. If you don’t want slash, same-sex pairings, cross-generational romance, Sirius daughters, Harry siblings, or forgotten Marauders, draw your line in the sand HERE.) I'd prefer femmeslash over slash, although if the latter is more your strength, go with that. Just don't have anything AU in it. No Dramione, Ron/Harry, Harmony or anything like that. No Harry siblings, no Sirius daughters, no Remus daughters, either. If it's non-canon romance, it has to be a pairing that could be plausible in canon such as Luna/Hannah. (Not that you have to write that -- although I would love you forever if you did )

And strictly NO Snape or Dumbledore centred fics.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: Non-consensual sex is not my favourite thing to read if it's described vividly. References are fine. I also would prefer no dubious consent, AU, Book 7 Disregarded, Epilogue? What Epilogue? and basically just keep it canon.
    Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: (characters you can’t seem to get right, genres with which you’re not very familiar, POVs you don’t like overmuch) I quite like Marauder Era and Trio Era but I'm not quite sure I can do minor characters in both eras justice. By minor, I mean people like Lisa Turpin and Megan Jones who are barely mentioned. Lavender is fine.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: I must admit that I like writing romance but also dark/angsty has become a new favourite of mine to write. My endings are rarely happy. I love writing Marauders, Trio and Next Gen (see limitations on Marauders and Trio). I can do any pairing in Next Gen as long as it doesn't involve Scorpius with anyone except Rose, Lily or Dominique. If you like cousin/cousin romance, too, I wouldn't mind giving that a go, but bear in mind that I've never written it before. I'm probably better at writing het romance than slash but I can give it a go.
    Your Writing Peeves: (Things that would make your eyes and fingers bleed to write) Please, for the love of Merlin, I can't write Dramione or Harmony or the Trio with anyone except who they're paired up with. I also am no good at male/male ships as I've never written them before. I can't write anything non-canon like the above, or AU. Smut is a no-no since again, I have zilch experience. I won't write anything Professors-rated and while I have nothing against student/teacher, I don't think I could do it justice.

I've kind of lost any hope at writing fluff or any more Harry/Ginny or James/Lily but I can have a go if you really want.

That's it!
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: Look above at the warnings I won't read. The same applies.
    Last edited by babewithbrains; 09-26-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    What Youíd Like to Receive

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: I like rarepairs and darker pairs, and preferably non-canon ones, lol. I'm not much of a Marauder fan, but if it's well done, I'm all for it. Post-Hogwarts is a safe bet, especially for damaged characters. Speaking of characters...I like ones without any heavily pre-established portrayals, as they allow for the most freedom. And I like Harry pairings, so he's a green light from me, as well. I don't have a preference for POV, but I do prefer that something isn't written in, say, second person just because the author happens to fancy it at the time. It should suit the story. If the POV suits the story, then I'm happy with. If you manage to figure out how to write second person in future tense, though, I kindly ask that you abstain. XD
    Prompt(s): Hurt, betrayal, loss, found...go nuts. It's yours.
    Preferred Rating Level: Something 6th/7th years or above would be good. I'm not too drawn to lower-rated things.
    Mood/Themes: Whatever suits you bunny.
    Squicks: I'd prefer no Snape pairings, no gooey romance or fluff, sweet canon romance, wangsty Scorose (though the pairing is fine, just no whiny teenage stuff), and I'm not very keen on songfics. While I don't mind using a song as a theme, if the lyrics are intrusive, it a bit off-putting.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: I am an open book.

Your Writing Preferences

Limitations: I am a Marauder-tard, so it's not my thing. I'm also not very good with niceness. It actually makes me feel quite ill. Buuuut, I won't assign myself something I don't want to write, lol.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: Next-Gen, Post-Hogwarts, dark romance
    Your Writing Peeves: fluff, Harry/Ginny, nasty pairings like Snape/Umbridge...you get the picture
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: I'm all good, though I've never actually written AU before.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    What You’d Like to Receive

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: At the moment I really like Historical (i.e pre- Marauders) so that would be good. Otherwise D/A is always a pretty safe bet with me Themes- Slytherins who aren’t evil, Gryffindors who kind of are. Money, power, love, that sort of thing. Characters- I’d rather read minor characters and if you want a pairing then Molly/ Arthur or Lucius/ Narcissa are good.

Prompt(s): Floods, storm, nightmares, snow, apocalypse, tea. If you want a song then at the moment all I’m listening to is Arctic Monkeys’ Favourite Worst Nightmare album, particularly Florescent Adolescent (have fun shoe-horning that into the wizarding world) or any Laura Marling song. Alpha Shallows, Alas I Cannot Swim, Rest In The Bed, The Beast or Devil’s Spokes. But basically anything you want.
    Preferred Rating Level: Don’t mind, but I’m not too keen on fluff. Smut is fine by me
    Mood/Themes: Generally dark, but that doesn’t mean it can’t have a happy ending.
    Squicks: Would any SPEWER want Sirius daughters or Harry siblings (says the author of a Draco sibling story- my hypocrisy knows no bounds)? No, please no. I’m fine with cross-generational pairings as long as this is addressed, as it is an issue. Same goes with student/ teacher relationships- while they can work out, most of the time they don’t.

Warnings out of your comfort zone: I’m happy with anything, except maybe dubious consent, since it so very rarely exists. As long as its dealt with well, I don’t mind.

Your Writing Preferences: Preferably minor characters who I have some freedom with. I don’t do fluff, but anything else is fine by me. I like writing about Slytherins (hint hint).

Limitations: Trio and Ginny- I can write them as brief appearances but definitely not a whole story
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: D/A by a long way, though I’m currently enjoying/ being infuriated by Historical (as in 1940s/ 50s). I’ll write about relationships/ moral conflicts- anything you want.
    Your Writing Peeves: Fluff/ non-canon pairings (I’m happy to have a canon character cheat on their canon partner though). I prefer to give a character a pretty hellish time so if you want cute/ romantic then I’m not your girl.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: I’ve never written AU before, but I’ll give it a go if that’s what you want. Dubious consent I’m uncomfortable with, but I think that’s really the only one.
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor; 10-08-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    Banner by Minna.

h_vic
    What You’d Like to Receive Since she'll know who is writing for whom anyway, just ask Jess if you're not sure whether something is up my street or not. She knows my tastes pretty well.

Favourite Themes/Genres/Character/Pairing(s)/POVs: Minor character rarepairs are my favourite thing ever. Write me Ravenclaws (other than Luna) or Lavender/Pansy and I would love you forever. I also particularly like the Hufflepuffs, Daphne, Theo, Katie, Oliver, Seamus, Percy, Charlie and Bill (but just about any minor character is fine by me). I prefer stories with a bit of a darker/angstier tone. I love post-DH stories, where people are dealing with the scars (physical, emotional, psychological ... whatever really) of DH and the battle. I adore candles in fics (random, I know) and I love lots of imagery and symbolism. Something with a the sort of feel of gothic literature would be wonderful. Stylistically, I really don't mind what you do with POV or tense, but I do love non-linear stories.
    Prompt(s): Starcrossed lovers, betrayal, supplication, facades, hollow promises, dancing. I'd love something with a really strong sense of setting, particularly if that setting were a city (I'd love it even more if that city were somewhere with real character like Florence or Barcelona, but really any city would be fine).

"Unsettled hearts
    Promise what they can't deliver
    Bring me the wine
    And the cold night air to clear my head" - Speak the Word, Tracy Chapman

Or else perhaps something inspired by Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah or Sarah Mclachlan's Angel

Preferred Rating Level: Something with a little more weight to it than family friendly fluff.
    Mood/Themes: Dark, bittersweet.
    Squicks: Draco, Dramione, Luna, canon pairings (especially James/Lily), saccharine fluff, cross-generational pairings.
    Warnings out of your comfort zone: Pretty much anything is fine (given the sort of things that I really wouldn't want Jess has ruled out anyway) as long as it's handled delicately if necessary.

Your Writing Preferences I'm sure you've got a pretty good idea, Jess, as to what I can write or what sort of assignment might make me hunt you down!

Limitations: I've not really written slash, so I wouldn't necessarily be much good at it, but I can have a go if needed (although I wouldn't be able to write Harry or Severus-based slash). Femmeslash would be fine though.
    Favourite Themes/Genres/Characters to Write: Minor characters, rarepairs, post-DH messed up characters, D/A
    Your Writing Peeves: *I can't write happy-ever-after fluff. I'm useless with writing humour. I can't write Luna at all. I also can't write James Potter (senior), Dumbledore, Voldemort, Hagrid, McGonagall, Umbridge,%

Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Sign-ups are closed, and the assignments have been sent! If you did not receive yours yet, then please let me know ASAP so I can re-send and then fret that I sent it to the wrong person, lol.

Remember, you have until 15 December to send me your BETAED story, but you may send them in earlier if you like. Happy writing!