Thread: October Activities 2011

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

October Activities 2011

As you'd have to live in a cave somewhere in no man's land not to recognise, Halloween, or All Hallow's Eve, shall fall upon us as the month wanes. It is a time of demons, spirits, ghouls, and all sorts of fearsome creatures. And, as anyone who loves horror movies can attest, sometimes, being scared can often be rewarding. Oh, what funnnnn. With this, I ask you to…

Name the character/creature/phenomenon/form of magic/etc from the Potterverse that you find to be the most fearsome and tell us what makes said person/object/whatever something that leaves you shaking in your shoes.

As always, ask and answer one TQ, but this time, make your TQ relevant to the character you've named.

With that, I'll start.

Inferi. Is it wrong to say that I hate them because they look gross? When the Inferi touched Harry in the cavern, I shuddered, because their slimy dead!hands...ugh. Also, it has the potential to be the one thing that would make me afraid to die, the idea of someone actually being able to control my remains like a puppet. It's worse than the Imperius because you cannot fight it. Just...no.

How big a part does the concept of death play in your feared thing?
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

QSQ-worthy banner by Minna / minnabird.

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

October Feature: Mystery

With the recent boom in the Mystery category brought on by the Great Hall's Mysterious May Challenge, there are a slew of brand new fics in this formerly diminutive category. Your mission, SPEW is to find a story in the Mystery category and review one.

You don't have to use your review for your monthly requirements, but you must post a review time-stamped in the month of October (this year, you sneaky things, and no two-liner squee reviews) in this thread in order to receive credit for the activity.

As usual, ask and answer a TQ to spark a discussion. Here are a few to get you started.

What are some of the key differences you've noticed between HP fanfic mysteries and the regular ones you find on bookshelves?

Is there such a thing as a cliché mystery plot if no one guesses the 'villain' until the end?

Are certain Potterverse characters predisposed to being involved in mysteries? What are some of these characters and why do you think that is?

As for the rest, you know the drill. The activity must be completed before the end of the night on 31 October.

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare

October Drabble Challenge: Bad to the Bone

Everyone loves a good villain. In this activity, in continuation of my shameless Halloween theme, you will write a drabble from the perspective of a favourite villain of yours in the Potterverse. The hitch, however, is that the drabble must capture the chosen character in a favourable light. That can be tricky. Muahahahahahahaha!

/lameness

Some things to remember:

• As usual, all drabbles must meet MNFF submission guidelines (no horrible grammar or OOCness or things that are forbidden — incest, bestiality, crossovers, etc; you know the rules) and be affixed with proper warnings.
    • They may not exceed 6th/7th Years and may not feature the following content: Non-Consensual Sex, Strong Profanity.
    • The length should be anywhere from 300-800 words; if you exceed the word count and don't wish to cut for length, you may submit your story to the archives and post a link upon approval. However, you will be subject to stricter submission guidelines, and the story must be validated before the end of the month; use caution if you choose this option.
    • Please use the following form when submitting your drabble:
      PHP Code:
      [b]Title: [/b]
      [
      b]Character: [/b]
      [
      b]Rating/Warnings: [/b]
      [
      b]Word Count: [/b]
      [
      b]Author's Note: [/b] 

As with all regular monthly activities, all entry posts must be in before the end of the day on 31 October (US Pacific Time/BST -8). Happy drabbling!

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    Name the character/creature/phenomenon/form of magic/etc from the Potterverse that you find to be the most fearsome and tell us what makes said person/object/whatever something that leaves you shaking in your shoes.

Dementors. I honestly found them so terrifying when I first read PoA and then when I watched the movie, I was really underwhelmed because they weren't quite as scary for me as the books.

There's something so scary about a creature being able to suck out your soul. I mean, not everyone believes they have a soul, but I do, and it's just... so much a part of me that I can't imagine what it would be like to have the Dementor's Kiss on me. Ugggh. And to make it worse, JKR described them so, so vividly in PoA, then in OoTP, and they're just so repulsive, the fact that they breed and stuff is just so ew.

How big a part does the concept of death play in your feared thing?

That's an interesting question. To me, I'd be really scared of losing my soul more than dying itself. Because dying normally would mean my soul would still exist and that only my body would be gone, but the opposite -- it's kind of like an anti-death, the Dementor's Kiss. And that's what makes it so scary -- the one thing that is certain in life is death. Because we all know we're going to die one day. But without a soul, the very thing that defines you, I don't think there's much to live for, tbh.

TQ: Do you think Dementors would have been Harry's Boggart forever?

TQ: There's been a lot of controversy about the books being too scary even for adults. What's the limit for you with scariness -- or do you enjoy being scared?

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    Title:* Finding Foxes
    Character:* Revealed at the end.
    Rating/Warnings:* Violence/ Profanity. Sexual situations sort of, but you may not notice. 3rd-5th, I’d say.
    Word*Count:* 793.
    Author's*Note:**I’m not sure whether this is sympathetic enough, but there you go.

She was not supposed to be awake. She was supposed to be in bed, but she’d known that her mother was out, and knew her father would not mind.

She wanted to investigate the noise in the garden. Obviously it was something the grown ups knew about and did not consider a threat, because the noise had been happening for a few nights now.

Even though she knew her father had heard her, she liked to pretend that no-one knew where she was. She had briefly considered waking one of her sisters and sharing this adventure with them, but changed her mind. Her life was so regimented that it was fun to be doing something alone, something illicit. She turned the key in the lock, opening the back door.

It was a warm summer’s night, and she looked up at the swelling gibbous moon. She realised that she was holding her breath. There was something in the bushes, at the end of the garden. Walking very slowly across the lawn, she shivered with a slight wind.

Crack. She stood suddenly still, worried that her mother was back home, but then realised she’d stood on a twig.

The noise, a strange screaming sound, had stopped. Suddenly something with bright yellow eyes, and reddish fur, and a long tail, burst from the bushes and leapt onto the wall to her left, into the next door garden. She then heard another noise, and glancing back at the bushes, saw another fox clambering over the back wall and away from her house.

So it had been the foxes. She sat down for a few minutes, enjoying the night air, before deciding to go back inside. She carefully locked the back door, and was just leaving the kitchen when the hall light flicked on, and she saw that her mother had returned home.

Her father was talking to her mother, clearly trying to create a diversion, and she tried to take advantage of it, crouching down and walking past.

“Oh, darling,” her mother was saying, hand on his chest. “I’ve had the most exhausting evening. Georgette looked divine, she asked after you, you know. You should have been there.”

She had noticed her mother’s tone change, and therefore made a dash for the staircase, running up, but suddenly felt her body stop in mid-step. She willed it on, but couldn’t move. If she had been able to she would have shivered.

“Darling, what are you doing?”

She felt her body turn round, and she was faced with the piercing gaze of her mother. This was then directed at her father.

“What is she doing awake?”

“Love, she just wanted to be in the garden. I saw no reason––”

“No reason? There are rules for a reason, darling, and she is not supposed to be up past nine o’ clock.”

“But dearest––” her father was saying.

“I don’t like being disobeyed, Cygnus. I will deal with you later. For now––”

She watched her mother raise her wand, and felt herself tense up in preparation for what would come next. The pain was brief, but what hurt the most was the humiliation. She knew other people’s mother’s did not do this, and didn’t see what she’d done to deserve it, other than threaten her mother’s control. Soon she would be in Hogwarts, away from this woman, away from this b••••.

“What did you call me?”

She was in bed. She hadn’t cried. She was proud of herself for not crying. When she heard the footsteps outside her door she thought it was her mother and found she did not care, but when the door opened she saw her father’s form silhouetted against the corridor light, before she closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep.

He sat next to her, and she felt a sudden warmth on her back as her wounds were healed by her father’s wand.

“Your mother does love you, you know,” he said.

She had planned on keeping up the pretence but at this she could not, opening her eyes and saying, “No, she doesn’t so why do you say that?”

Her father was silent.

She sat up, brushed her black hair from her face, and said firmly, “I’m never letting her hurt me like that again. I’m promising myself, and I don’t break promises I make to myself.”

“My darling, you are ten years old. You can’t––”

“I can. I won’t get caught again. Ever.”

Although Cygnus had long been used to the domination of his wife over their household, looking at the determination in his daughter’s black and hooded eyes, he was sure that Bella could do anything she could put her mind to.
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor; 10-18-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Banner by Minna.

Kerichi
    I reviewed The Perfect Alibi by Russia Snow.

When it comes to the TQ's, some HP mysteries I've read, when Aurors or MLE were involved, the authors didn't do enough research on police procedure, even if just learning from television/movies/novels, to make their investigations believable. I do think there can be a cliche plot although the villain isn't guessed until the end. It's the Scooby Doo mystery format where after a lot of red herrings the mask is pulled off someone unsuspected until caught at the end. Aurors are predisposed to be in mysteries by nature of their jobs, so canon Aurors like Tonks or fan-made Aurors (Scorpius and Albus seem to be popular choices as Next Gen Aurors) are natural protagonists in mystery fics.

What secondary character that most readers wouldn't think of as a sleuth (professional or personal capacity) would you like to see as the protagonist of a mystery fic?

h_vic
    I reviewed the prologue of Blood and Roses by Soraya.

Are certain Potterverse characters predisposed to being involved in mysteries? What are some of these characters and why do you think that is?
    Like Paige mentioned, the Aurors are always going to be an obvious choice, but I also think there's much wider scope than that, because essentially most of the books are, at heart, based on the trio solving a mystery, whether it be what the philosopher's stone is and who wants to steal it or who opened the chamber of secrets. I think his natural curiosity and total inability to leave things alone makes Harry an obvious choice for a mystery story.

New TQ: Did you find you approached reviewing a mystery story differently to reviewing other genres?

I ask because I came to the conclusion that reviewing a mystery was actually a really helpful exercise for me. I think most of us have a natural tendency to focus primarily on characterisation in reviews, because it's easiest to dissect and most obvious, but in a mystery, it is actually plot that is the dominant factor, and I felt like that perhaps caused me to approach my review a little differently and frame it differently.