Chanté (with an accent)

Author's Page:
    Alohomora!

Accreditation Number:

PI:2001791098

Availability:
    Available!

Genres:
    I will take just about everything, except Poetry. There are many other betas who have more experience and could help you much better than I could. Also, tread carefully with Marauders fics. I won’t take them if they are centered around the Marauders (or OCs there for the sole purpose of falling in lurve with the Marauders), but other characters (such as Severus!) are perfectly fine. Everything else you can send right my way! (And I love Dark/Angst!)

Ships:
    I will do anything except Slash, Student/Teacher, and James/Lily. I especially love non-canon or unusual ships and ships (or just stories) involving my boys, Severus, George, Theodore, and Salazar. (Particularly, Sev/Lily, George/Angelina, and Salazar/Rowena). But as I said, I'll take everything (except those three).

Ratings and Warnings:

1st-7th Year: Just my thing!

Professors: Please take it to another beta. I am not always comfortable with some of the material in these fics, so another beta would be better for you.

Sexual Situations: I won’t take anything extremely graphic. It’s hard to explain where my line is with what I’m comfortable with and what I’m not, but if you have doubts, you might want to PM me an excerpt and I can say “yeah” or “nay”. If you don’t want to do that, you might want to find another beta.

Non-Consensual Sex and Dubious Consent: See the above. I will take it if it isn’t described too graphically, and if it is well-written. Please don’t use these as plot devices JUST to make it more dramatic. I do not like melodrama.

Slash and Student/Teacher: I would appreciate if you took these to another beta.

Alternate Universe: Why are you using this warning? Is it an interesting ‘what if’ scenario? Then send it my way! Is it an excuse to make characters act in ways they normally wouldn’t (OOC), in a situation OTHER than Humour? You probably shouldn’t send it to me. I’m likely to beat you over the head with a frying pan.

Abuse, Suicide, Mental Disorders, Self-Injury, and Substance-Abuse: I actually would love to beta stuff like this. I like stories that deal with mature themes, BUT (and this is a big but) it has to be well-written. Again, I do not like melodrama or just added into the characters past to make ‘characters more interesting’. Please do your research and describe things realistically. So send them my way, but expect me to be critical.

Anything else: It’s just my cup of tea!

One-shot or Chaptered:

All of the above!

Turn Around Time:

I *should* be able to get it back within a week (I generally get it back even sooner than that). But if I'm going to be longer, I will be sure to let you know.

Permanent Y/N:

If I take a chaptered fic, I would like to stay with it. I don’t like beta-ing single chapters (unless it is the first chapter), because I can’t really help plot-wise or comment-wise. But I will take single chapters, if you only want someone to look over grammar and spelling mistakes. Just let me know what you need. I don’t mind being a second or third beta either.

Strengths:

I like to consider myself pretty good at spelling and grammar. However, I think I’m best at sentence structure and flow. If something just doesn’t sound quite right, I will point it out to you with suggested fixing. Characterization of (most) canon characters and OCs. For more info, see comments on my beta-ing style.

Weaknesses:

Briticisms. I can check for spelling and I know a few words, but I am American so I can’t help that much.

Beta Experience:

I was in the Beta Guild a year or two back, but I went on hiatus. However, I am back and (hopefully) better than ever. I beta-ed many fics when I was here and even got nominated for Best Beta in the QSQs a couple of times.

Beta-ing Style:

I am an extremely picky reader and it comes forward in my beta-ing. I tend to leave lots of comments, pointing out the good, the bad, and the things I think might need to be tweaked. However, I try to give as much praise as I give critique, and a lot of them are more like ‘suggestions’ anyway. That being said, if you are looking for a really nice beta who will sugarcoat things, that's probably not me. I am honest (even brutally so) and open with critique, and that sometimes makes me sound harsh. So, if that's not something you want, maybe I'm not the beta for you. Also, I am a great beta if you want to bounce ideas off of or ask opinions or brainstorm. Just shoot me a PM/e-mail.

I like to see the fic a couple of times. The first time will be full of comments and corrections. The next time will be just to make sure I didn’t miss any errors or that errors weren’t created when changes were made (there’s a difference between revision and editing, and editing always comes last, as my English 102 teacher made us learn). I respect your wishes if you don’t want to send it back the second time, but I would really love it if you did.

Oh, and I use track changes on OpenOffice or color changes on Word (I used to do track changes on Word, but have a new laptop and a version of Word that doesn't let me do it...so, yeah).

Method of Contact:

After you post here, I will PM you my email address. I’ve made one specifically for beta-ing (since things have a tendency to be lost in my main account), so you might want to PM me back to tell me it’s been sent.

Other Information:

I like chocolate. Not that you care. :P

Beta Works:

The Flawless Caper by Liandrin
    Dark Was the Night by welshdevondragon
    More Than a Divided Country by OliveOil_Med Chapter 2 and onward
    Saving Dominique by U-No-Poo
    Promises by Golden_snitch91
    To Calm The Conscience by welshdevondragon
    Haunted House: Dead by Northumbrian
    Dark Was the Night by welshdevondragon

(List includes what I have beta-ed since returning to beta-ing, not my entire history. That would be much too lengthy)

If I've beta-ed for you, and your story is now up, PLEASE send me a link. I want to try to keep this updated.

PHP Code:
    [b]User Name:[/bYour name on MNFF (and on the Beta Forums if they're different)  
    [b]Story:[/b] Story title, linked if you already have a chapter published  
    [b]Genre:[/b] Is it a romance? a mystery? dark/angst? (etc.)  
    [b]Ships:[/b] This is short for "relationships." If there is a romantic pairing in the story, tell us who you'
    ve linked up.
    [
    b]Rating and Warnings:[/b]  
    [
    b]Word Count:[/bRemember that the minimum word count for chapters on MNFF is 800-1000 words!  
    [
    b]One Shot or Chaptered:[/b]  
    [
    b]Expected Beta Time:[/bHow soon you wish to have a reply (1 dayor 3 daysa weeketc)  
    [
    b]What do you need to most help with?[/bGrammarCharacterizationA hand to hold while you take the ‘leap of faith’ with a brand-new story? (just don’t squeeze too hard. I have arthritis!) 
    [b]Permanent Y/N:[/b] If you're looking for a permanent beta (Yes or No)  
    [b]Summary:[/b] Short summary of the story. 

cutycatv

Helena Ravenclaw story

Hello!! I am cutycatv (the Helena Ravenclaw story). I would love love love if you would be my beta! You seem perfect!! Also, I am new to the beta boards so sorry for my ignorance but I have a question!! What is PM?? I would just like to say I am completely OK if you have other things to do and it takes longer than a week to read my story!!

thegirllikeme
    Awesome! I look forward to working with you.

PM is Private Messaging. It's a tool we use to communicate directly with each other (similar to e-mail but just within this site). It is located on the top right-hand corner. I just sent you a PM containing my email address, so you should be able to see it.

And by the way, welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy it here.

thegirllikeme
    ((This is meant to be after Jess's post. Those pesky nargles!))

Jess, I would absolutely love to beta this for you. I actually saw it and wanted to read it, but never actually got around to it. I'll PM you my e-mail address and you can send it right over.

To all others, I am still available.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    User Name: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Story: Dark Requiem
    Genre: Marauder Era
    Ships: Nothing, really. It's more one person obsessing over another
    Rating and Warnings: 6th-7th Years: Abuse, Character Death, Violence
    Word Count: 3423
    One Shot or Chaptered: One-shot
    Expected Beta Time: Whenever... not too bothered about it.
    What do you need to most help with? I finished this a couple months ago and rushed to meet a deadline, but I feel like it could be cleaned up a little bit. Since the character in question is one you tend to prefer, I thought I could both test out working with you as well as get some work done on a fic that could use some TLC.
    Permanent Y/N: No
    Summary: The irony does not escape Severus Snape as he seeks to gain the favour of the Dark Lord on, of all nights, Christmas. The spectres of days dead and gone spur him on to complete his mission, but can the fond memories stop him from committing an unspeakable act?
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

JokerBlue
    User Name: BlueJoker on MNFF, JokerBlue here because something went very wrong when I was trying to register
    Story: So far no title, I'm having a think
    Category: It's a dark historical with an OC.
    Ships: There may be a romantic story line concerning the OC/Charles Potter (Harry's Grandad)
    Rating and Warnings Either Prof's or 6th-7th years
    Word Count: Usually just over 1000 words per chapter.
    One Shot or Chaptered: It will be chapetered and likely to be around 25 chapters.
    Expected Beta Time: A week maximum, preferably within four days.
    What do you need to most help with? Grammar, and I have a habit of making things unclear.
    Permanent Y/N: If you're looking for a permanent beta (Yes or No
    ) Yes, please.
    Summary: A 16 year old Jewish witch named Sofia starts in Krakow during the 1930's. She is able to escape the persecution there when she gains permission to attend Hogwarts thanks to Dumbledore appealing for her. She goes there in the understanding that she will gain permits for her parents and her brother will join the school when he turns eleven, although it is soon apparent that this is not going to happen.
    She lives with a British wizarding family and learns to speak English. She gradually loses her identity and begins a love affair with Charles Potter.
    I won't give away the ending

thegirllikeme
    JokerBlue - I replied back via PM.

I am tentatively available.

lttlebird
    User Name: littlebird (lttlebird)
    Genre: Difficult to categorize, but I suppose, ultimately, romance
    Ships: Harry/Hermione
    Rating and Warnings: 6th-7th years
    Word Count: >6000
    One Shot or Chaptered: Very long one-shot
    Expected Beta Time: Meh, Whenever.
    What do you need to most help with? I need a sounding board and second opinion. I wrote this thing long ago, before I even knew or cared anything about FF, and now it's time to put it out into the world
    Permanent Y/N: Yes, if you like.
    Summary: The story that's been told a thousand times, a thousand different ways...Harry, Hermione, a tent. There's no dancing, no sudden revelations of undying love. This is a mid-tempo little number. Hard to dance to, but I think the melody is sorta pretty.

thegirllikeme
    littlebird: I've PM-ed you!

still somewhat available

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    I am getting far too many plot bunnies for someone just into exam revision.

Anyway you're American!! That, of course, is not the only reason I want you to beta, but it's part of it. These were two separate drabbles but I'm extending them into a two-shot. It's a sort of sequel to my story "Bryter Later" about a post-hogwarts Draco and his relationship with his new found Squib sister. I've been meaning to write it for ages, and now have (sort of). But it's about Draco (and his sister's) view of important Muggle events, one of them being 9/11, the other being the anti- Iraq war protest in London in 2003. If you are uncomfortable beta-ing that I completely understand, and because it's rather sensitive I want to get it right. And I'd like an American to read it (although it's from the British perspective) to see what they think. I had a beta but she's gone awol, and I've only finished a first draft of the first chapter today at any rate. Anyway here's the form, if you're interested.

User Name: welshdevondragon on both
    Story: Untitled as yet
    Genre: Post-Hogwarts
    Ships: None
    Rating and Warnings: 1st-2nd
    Word Count: Probably about 2000 words each chapter? Maybe more
    One Shot or Chaptered: a two-shot
    Expected Beta Time: As soon as possible but no more than a week is fine
    What do you need to most help with? I know the Draco and Lucy I've created from writing I think fifteen chapters about them. But I want to make sure people who haven't read those think they are characterized well. Mainly characterisation and, in the second chapter, controlling my political views (which I've given to Lucy) and making sure it makes sense from a wizard perspective.
    Permanent Y/N: Just this story
    Summary: Draco visits his Squib sister on two separate occasions, which change the way he sees the Muggle world and his own past. They are September 2001 and February 2003.

Like I said, I completely understand if you don't have time/ feel uncomfortable with beta-ing this. Alex x
    Banner by Minna.