Welcome to the Handbook,
Here you can find hints, tips and tutorials from moderators and members of the boards that will help you on your first steps around these forums.
The first thing to do is register! If you haven't done this already, click the link at the top of this page and follow the on screen instructions. Once you've set up an account you can get sorted into a house.
The four houses are taken straight from JKR's wonderful books, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin and Ravenclaw. Each of these has their own Head of House and Prefect who look after the house forums and look after its members.
The heads of each house and their prefects are:
- Head : Karaley Dargen - Kara
- Prefect : muggle girl marauder - Lea
- Head : mudbloodproud - Terri
- Prefect : Phoenix5225 - Kim
- Head : ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor - Jess
- Prefect : The Ebil Minions (in other words, by committee)
- Head : NikkiSue - Nikki
- Prefect : Viv - (Viv!)
You can go to any of these moderators for help and assistance, they are all happy to help.
To get sorted you must send a private message to the SortingHat, requesting a sorting quiz. It will then PM you the quiz and any further instructions in a reply.
I hope to see you in one of our fantastic houses soon! When you find out what house you are in, your name will be sent to the Head of that House and they will add you to their usergroup. Don't worry too much if this takes a little time, it just means that your HoH is slightly busy - you will be sorted shortly.
The next thing to do before you start exploring the site is read the rules. A lot of members skip this but it is essential if you don't want to lose any points for your new house or receive a worse punishment. Below is a list of the main rules of the Beta Boards and links that will take you to the rules and policies that MNFF and the Beta Boards hold.
Fanfiction Writing Help and Policies
General Beta Boards FAQs
- No netspeak. Please use English in full sentences with appropriate grammar and punctuation, to the best of your ability.
- Avoid spamming. Please read an entire thread before posting to be sure you don't repeat something that's already been said. If you don't have something substantive to add to a conversation, please refrain from posting.
- Do not put offsite fanfiction links, email addresses, or other inappropriate links in your posts. They will be deleted by the moderators, and repeat offenders may be banned from the boards.
- Be respectful and helpful. Remember that we have people of many ages and nationalities using these boards. Some of them are here to practice learning English. Flames and sarcasm will not be tolerated.
- Avoid double-posting. If you were the last person to post in a thread, please use the edit button to add to your post instead of adding another post. There are some exceptions to this rule. Exceptions are noted in individual forum rules/announcements.
- Custom Avatars and Signatures are permitted. Avatars may be no larger than 100x100 pixels and smaller than 20k. Signatures must take up no more than 500 pixels in width and 300 pixels in height, including all graphics and text. Offensive graphics and/or text may be deleted at the discretion of the mods. Animated avatars or signatures are for moderators only, any other animated graphics may also be deleted by mods.
- This is intended to be a family-friendly set of forums. It is not the place to troll for your next date. Unsafe internet practices and inappropriate material will be dealt with swiftly and severely by the moderators. If you notice something that concerns you, please contact a moderator.
Now the boring rules part is over, it's time to introduce to the boards themselves. Below is a complete guide to the forums and the features which our members can use.
Welcome to the Boards!