Thread: Muggle Born Children?

PhoenixOrTheFlame

Muggle Born Children?

Ok, I have a question about muggle-borns. If two muggle-borns have a baby, will that baby be magic? If it is, is it still called a muggle-born? And if it doesn't have magic, does that make it a squib or a muggle?

TheCursedQuill
    A squib is someone born from a magical family, but possesses no magical ability. So yes, if two muggleborns had a child and it wasn't magic, he/she would be a squib because both parents are magical. What the child would be considered would be left to what the grandparents blood line was. If the grandparents were both muggles on both sides, the child would be muggleborn. If one grandparent on one side was magical, then the child would be half-blood, but so would one of the parents be (hence, they wouldn't be muggleborn).

There are only three types of blood line that matter in Potterverse before Voldemorts fall:
    -Muggleborn - a witch or wizard born from two muggle parents and four muggle grandparents.
    -Half-blood - a witch or wizard born with only ONE magical parent, OR a magical Grandparent.
    -Pureblood - a witch or wizard born with two magical parents. There parents, however would have to BOTH be purebloods as well. Harry's mum was magical, but because she was muggleborn, Harry was half-blood.

This is what I'm guessing... the more I look at my explaination, the more I confuse myself. The only other choice if not called a muggleborn, then the child would be half-blood, which makes no sense to me because there is no magical person in their family...

-Sarah

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    I think that it will debend on who you're asking.

Draco Malfoy would say Squib

Hermione would say Muggle.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

LittleJM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCursedQuill View Post
    This is what I'm guessing... the more I look at my explaination, the more I confuse myself. The only other choice if not called a muggleborn, then the child would be half-blood, which makes no sense to me because there is no magical person in their family...
    I believe the term "half-blood" is used quite loosely in the series - but like Northumbrian stated, it just depends on who you're asking. The only ones that talk about blood status in depth in the books are the only ones that care about it - followers of Voldemort (such as when Snape is referenced as being half-blood like Harry - even though Harry had two magical parents - because "muggleborns" to them are no better than muggles).

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Magical genetics has been fought over endlessly. From what it seems, most magical parents have magical children - regardless of being Muggleborn or not. Certainly a Muggleborn and a half or pureblood seem to have all magical children. The Death Eaters never claim that intermarriage with Muggles or Muggleborns will cause a decrease in the over all number of magical children.

I'm with Northumbrian on terminology though - someone like Draco would call that child a Squib, someone like Hermoine would call that child a Muggle.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Draco Malfoy would say Squib

Hermione would say Muggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aida
    I'm with Northumbrian on terminology though - someone like Draco would call that child a Squib, someone like Hermoine would call that child a Muggle.
    Except that a Squib is not the same at all as Muggle.

Filch is a Squib and so is Mrs Figg. They both have a perception about Magic that Muggles don't have, which is why Filch can live and work in Hogwarts and Mrs Figg was able to enter the Ministry. It's just that their Magical ability is very, very low, but Muggles have no magical ability or perception at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Squibs
    Squib is the term applied to a child born of magical parents who has no magical abilities; they are considered to be the opposite of Muggle-born wizards/witches.[12] Squib births are rare abnormalities: the only squibs noted as such in the books are Argus Filch, Arabella Figg, and Molly Weasley's second cousin who was an accountant. The Ministry does not require them to be registered as part of the Community.[12] Squibs share some things with wizards and they are aware of and comprehend the wizarding world. They also can see Hogwarts, which ordinary Muggles cannot. However, according to Ron's Aunt Muriel, the custom with Squibs has been to send them to Muggle schools and encourage them to integrate into the Muggle world, which is "much kinder" than keeping them in the wizarding world, where they will always be "second-class". In contrast to most of the wizarding world's acceptance and even respect for Muggles and Muggle-born wizards and witches, it is often considered embarrassing to have a Squib in the family. Rowling has stated that Muggle-born witches and wizards are descended from Squibs who married Muggles; the magical gene resurfaces after many generations unexpectedly.
    A child born to two Muggle-born parents might well be a Squib, or a Muggle but that depends on what genes they have inherited from each parent.

And no, I am not going to get involved in a blooming debate about wizarding genetics.

To answer the original question, a child with magic born to Muggle-born parents, would be a half-blood.

~Carole~
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 09-10-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird