Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WEEKLY CHALLENGE. The Founders- Week 1. RESULTS

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!

WEEKLY CHALLENGE. The Founders- Week 1. RESULTS

I Welcoooome all of you to Hogwarts!

Closing date: Sunday 9th October 10pm BST

"You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago - the precise date is uncertain - by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. They built this castle together, far from prying Muggle eyes, for it was an age when magic was feared by common people, and witches and wizards suffered much persecution."
    -- Professor Binns (CS)
    Hello, there! Welcome to The Three Broomsticks Founders Challenge, WEEK 1!

As a twist on our regular weekly challenges, this barmaid has decided that it would be fun to have four weekly challenges spread over October all based around the Founders of Hogwarts.

The prompts for these challenge are pretty simple really, each week you will be given the name of a founder and based around that you must create a drabble of between 300-500 words.

Your prompt this week is:
    HELGA HUFFLEPUFF

Rules:
    300-500 words
    MUST be set in the Founder Era.

Form for your drabbles:
    PHP Code:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [
    B]House:[/B]
    [
    B]Title:[/B]
    [
    B]Ratings/Warnings:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]Favourite Founder:[/B]
    [
    B]A/N:[/B
    There will be SEVEN points for participation if you complete all four drabbles.
    15, 10 and 5 points will be awarded each week for first, second and third place respectively.

Please direct any questions to the Question Corner thread =)

HAVE FUN DRABBLERS!

~Madam Russia and Madam Carole xxxxx
    Last edited by Russia Snow; 10-04-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    I'm dreaming the hardest.

Thank you Nadia/majestic_ginny! <3
    Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    Name: Minna
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: A New Life
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st-2nd, none (unless slavery counts...)
    Word Count: 440
    Favourite Founder: Probably Helga. House pride ftw.
    A/N: Technically I prolly should've used "thegn" instead of "lord" and "theow" instead of "slave" but meh I figured I'd go for easy readability. (Obviously I am a geek). Also, loving this idea for weeklies!

It was in Helga’s thirteenth year that everything changed. One day she saw her father talking to a stranger. He wouldn’t tell her what the conversation had been about, but whatever it was made him look ten years younger. It would be months before she realized what he had done, and by then it would be too late.

He had come, a rich lord, and bought her from Gyric. She could not protest, of course; she was, after all, as good as property. Her father begged her forgiveness as he said goodbye; that what he had done, he had done out of love.

“I want a better life for you,” her father had said fervently. “You’re bright. You’ll make something of yourself. And maybe someday you can come back and free your old man, eh?”

“I promise,” said Helga. “I promise I’ll free you.”

“I love you,” her father said, and then it was time to go and she was hugging him and weeping.

--

Helga dried her tears on her sleeve, and looked up at her new owner, chin jutting stubbornly though she knew she should act meek.

“Don’t look at me like that, little one,” he said, his grey eyes twinkling, and Helga was surprised to realize that beneath the hardness this man looked kind. The next thing he said surprised her even more. “I’ll free you when we get home. We’re none of us slaves where we’re going.”

All she could do was gape.

“Magical folk must needs stick together,” the lord explained. “So many of us must live as Muggles, pretending magic does not exist, shutting away that part of ourselves because we haven’t the time or the resources to train our gifts. Life has given me great fortune, and so I try to help where I can. My friend Sigbert met your father some months ago, and I learned about you through him. The rest, of course, you know – except, of course, my name, which is Osric. I hope you will use it.”

Helga was stunned at his generosity. Some churchmen, she knew, regularly freed slaves for the health of their souls. But this man, she realized, meant to give her a home, a wand and an education.

This promised gift was precious beyond words, and she suddenly understood what her father had meant about her making a better life. Part of her ached hollowly for what she was leaving behind, but another part was warm with the kindness of this stranger. If everyone where she was going was like Osric, perhaps she might be happy there, someday. But she would keep her promise.

She would.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Name: AidaLuthien
    House: Hufflepuff!
    Title: The Beginning
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st-2nd, none
    Word Count: 390
    Favourite Founder: Probably Slytherin.
    A/N: Let's see if I can actually participate for this whole month.

Helga Hufflepuff walked in the forest near her home, with some of the older children. She listened to them identify plants, their names in Latin and Greek, their various qualities, how and when they should be harvested, and their uses in Potions. Occasionally she would point out a detail they had missed, or praised those who did well.

The younger students were practicing their reading and writing. She would have to check their work when they got back. Many came to her completely unlettered, and even those with some basic literacy skills needed to learn the Greek, Latin and runes that were necessary to practicing magic.

She sighed under her breath, then smiled. Helga hadn’t intended to start recruiting students until after she had a school set up, but she could not, would not turn away a soul in need. She may not have had a real building, courses, levels, or other teachers, but she had herself, her own house and her own dedication to the children and to their eventual school.

These children needed her. Some of them were orphans, a few had been abandoned by their horrified Muggle families, and at least one had run away from an abusive master.

She could do some things for them, but she was still only one witch. She had written to all of the brilliant wizards and witches she could think of, but she hadn’t had many replies yet. Many simply did not see the need for a school - pure-blood and half-blood children were taught by their parents, and Muggle-born children were rare enough that some wizards and witches did not believe that they existed or that if they did, that someone else would take care of them. She was starting to get frustrated.

Helga realized that the light was starting to fade. “We need to start heading back,” she told the small group of students, and started ushering them back to the house. She brushed an errant strand of red hair back into place.

When they reached her home, she realized that someone was standing by the door. Helga squinted into the light, trying to make out the figure.

The figure waved. “Helga! It’s been too long!”

She recognized that voice. “Rowena!” She would have help, and if Rowena had come, then others would too. Hogwarts would be built.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

secret_hermoine
    Name: secret_hermoine
    Title: The Forest
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st-2nd Years/None
    Word Count: 500
    Favourite Founder: Rowena Ravenclaw
    A/N:

There is something magical about the stillness one can find in the Forest outside the school. Something peaceful. There's a reason that it is forbidden to students. It is dangerous. But it is also wonderful, if you know how to behave in it. There are creatures here that would kill you if you look at them wrong or violate what they perceive to be the order of things. But in most cases, if you behave in an unassuming way, they will go about their business and let you go about yours.

I come here often after classes to be alone. To make peace with the creatures here. I dream of a day when the students could understand how to be in the Forest without fear. When the creatures would accept a joining of worlds without harm. On that day even people would understand each other. But, if that day does come, I am sure that it will not be in my lifetime. I will work for it, but it will have to wait until someone else comes along to finish what I started. I watch for that person every year when we choose our new students. But I am getting old and will not be around to teach much longer. Salazar already handed his post over to Gareth Selwyn, and this is Rowena's last year teaching. I only hope that we can find a way to maintain the strong base that we have given this school.

I quietly walk through the dark trees towards the edge of the forest. As I get closer, the sunlight begins to filter through at an angle, creating a halo about the tall, slender trunks. There is beauty, even in this seeming darkest of places. As I emerge from the trees, I see the tall, sweeping form of my best friend coming to meet me. She falls into step next to me as we both head back to the castle.

“I worry about you, you know. Spending so much time in the Forest.” Rowena's voice is clear and strong.

“I know, but you shouldn't. If I leave the creatures alone they leave me alone.”

“I don't trust them. If I did, I would be in there every spare minute. Just think, such a large concentration of magical creatures. It would be so easy to get one to study.”

“You have to understand them to study them. If you understand them, they will trust you. They would come to you. You wouldn't even have to capture one.”

“That's your talent, Helga. You know I lack patience.”

“And no matter how long I stay in the forest I'll never find out as much as you would about it just given a day.”

“We each have our own talents, but it is only when they are combined that we can really make a difference.”

Isn't that what life is supposed to be all about? Cooperation towards a common goal of progress?

Time Traveler Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Name: iLuna17\iMusic17\Ellie
    House: Slytherin
    Title: An Act of Kindness
    Ratings/Warnings: 3rd-5th years, implied abuse
    Word Count: 343
    Favourite Founder: Slytherin
    A/N: This is slightly weird, but it portrays a different beginning of Helga Hufflepuff.

A small child, no older than two, lay huddled in a basket, left on the steps of the village church. Her parents had been very poor, and when her father had passed her mother simply hadn’t had the means to care for the child along with her older brothers and sisters. So she had given her up, though it had broken her heart to do so. Even more shamefully, she had placed the child there under the cover of night, as to not be embarrassed or shamed by the other inhabitants of the town.

The child, even so young as she was, was obviously beautiful. She had delicate gold curls that framed her heart shaped face, complete with bright blue eyes. The girl slept innocently, not knowing what her future was, or what her mother had done. As she slept, every so often a color would escape her small fists. She was a witch.

A family as poor as the child’s family appeared seemingly out of nowhere. The father’s eyes were a cold gray, and they constantly glared at the eldest son, who seemed to be at the age of seven. Thinking no one was around, the father took out his wand and there was a flash of purple light. Suddenly the boy was lying on his back, gasping for air.

“Come. Salazar will follow when he learns how to respect his elders.” So the family disappeared again, leaving the boy wheezing on the ground. Salazar just sat there, struggling to breathe for a few minutes before forcing himself into a sitting position. In the moonlight the bruises on his pale skin become prominent. The boy sat up gingerly and started to follow after his family. Then he noticed the other child. He walked over and saw the colorful wisps of smoke.

“Who would have known? Little Helga Hufflepuff, a [I]witch[/I} He chuckled. “Come, Helga, we must return to my father’s fen. There we can see about your magical skill, aye?” The child just slept on. Salazar smiled, and disappeared with a crack.
    my page
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and banner by TM_Wandstick.

No matter what anyone tells you, words and ideas can change the world.
    (The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Name: Iwannabeanauror/Caroline
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Hufflepuff Rainbow
    Ratings/Warnings: 1-2 years, none
    Word Count: 340
    A/N: I really dislike House steryotypes, which is why I had to have Salazar act the way he does (so that I can disprove a Hufflepuff steryotype). However, I am not trying to insult Slytherins.

Helga twisted her short red hair around her finger and sighed; Hogwarts was opening to students in two days and she still felt unprepared. As the founder of Hufflepuff House, it was her responsibility to be completely ready. She had almost everything done; her class list, lesson plans, classrooms organized. The only problem was choosing House colors. Godric was able to decide on red and gold only moments after being prompted to choose a week ago. Salazar chose green and silver almost as fast. Rowena, on the other hand, took some time and did a little research before settling on blue and bronze. Now, only Helga was left to choose.

Although she had originally thought of using blue, she knew that Rowena liked the color and did not want to say anything about using it; she wanted to avoid conflict whenever possible, a trait that was in her students as well. She wanted her House color to symbolize loyalty and happiness, two virtues she felt were exceptionally important. Orange, maybe? It was bright and optimistic, but it didn't seem quite right. Pink? It was the color of love, but was it too close to red? Sighing, Helga allowed her eyes and mind to wander. Outside her window, there were bushes of yellow roses and red poppys, as she enjoyed adding bright colors anywhere possible. Yellow? "That is it!" Helga declared with a note of excitement in her voice. "That is the Hufflepuff House color."

Noticing that she still needed a second color, Helga bit her lip. "The second should be a dark color," she thought. Then she remembered a conversation she had with Salazar a few days ago, in which he remarked that Hufflepuff was the 'pushover house.'

"I'll show him!" she said with an undertone of defiance. "the second color of Hufflepuff house will be a color that seems to demand respect."

She did a quick sketch of the House crest, coloring it not only yellow, but black as well. ""There, now the Hufflepuff rainbow is compete."

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Name: Eleanor Lupin
    House: Hufflepuff (Slytherin on Pottermore!)
    Title: She Took The Rest
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st-2nd Years - none.
    Word Count: 495
    Favourite Founder: Rowena Ravenclaw probably.
    A/N: This is my first drabble, let's see how this goes!

"If we’re going to put them all into groups together, then we should be able to pick who we end up with. Make it a - a bit of a contest. Have them compete to see who's group is the best.”

The speaker was Godric Gryffindor, a tall man with carmel-coloured eyes that always seemed to burn with a sort of wild bravery and fury. Helga had always been puzzled by Godric’s obsession with competition, and when that was coupled with Salazar Slytherin’s need to win and Rowena Ravenclaw’s constant yearning to be the best at everything, it made for awkward situations, and it was all Helga could do to not rock the boat. Now was no exception.

A smile spread on Salazar’s face. “Alright. I want … I want the cunning. Ambitious. The ones who know what they want and how to get it. The … smart.” His eyes danced with a kind of mischief, as he looked over at Rowena, who immediately realized what he was saying.

“No.” Her blue eyes narrowed, “Not the smart. There is a difference between cunning and intelligent. I want the intelligent. Witty, maybe. After all -”

“Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure, Ro, we know. I don’t care who you lot pick, I want the brave. Nervy, chivalrous.” Godric’s chest puffed out a bit.

Rowena rolled her eyes. “But there’s also a fine line between bravery and recklessness, and you don’t seem to have found that yet.”

“You two can take what you want of the leavings, but I want the best. Only the best.” He looked around as if daring them to argue.

Helga suddenly felt an urge to say something, if only to stop the fighting. “What about everyone else? The ones who aren’t brave, or intelligent or ambitious enough for you? Where are they supposed to go?”

Rowena, Godric and Salazar all looked around at each other.

“Give them to Salazar.” Godric immediately said, at exactly the same time as Salazar suggested they go to Rowena, and Rowena delegated them to Godric. Salazar railed against Godric’s suggestion, whilst Rowena shouted to Salazar all the reasons why, logically, her group was the worst place to put them, and Godric insisted that they simply could not be placed in his group.

Finally, Helga simply couldn't take it. “I’ll take them!” She shouted above the din, a hint of defiance laced in her tone. “I’ll take the ones that don’t fit anywhere else!” Helga was promptly greeted by three incredulous stares.

“You?” Rowena said skeptically, “Why would you want them? They won’t fit in at all!”

Doubts flashed across Helga’s mind. What if Rowena was right? She usually was, after all. But somehow, Helga didn’t think she was this time. Intelligence and bravery and ambition were all well and good, but there was more valuable traits than just that. Determination. Optimism. Perseverance. Loyalty.

“There are more important things than what’s on the surface, Rowena.”

She’d make it work, she knew it.
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!

WEEKLY CHALLENGE. The Founders- Week 2. RESULTS

(I'm so sorry this is like 4 days late! RL has been getting me dooown!)

I Welcoooome all of you to Hogwarts!

Closing date: Wednesday 19th October 10pm BST

"You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago - the precise date is uncertain - by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. They built this castle together, far from prying Muggle eyes, for it was an age when magic was feared by common people, and witches and wizards suffered much persecution."
    -- Professor Binns (CS)
    Hello, there! Welcome to The Three Broomsticks Founders Challenge, WEEK 2!

As a twist on our regular weekly challenges, this barmaid has decided that it would be fun to have four weekly challenges spread over October all based around the Founders of Hogwarts.

The prompts for these challenge are pretty simple really, each week you will be given the name of a founder and based around that you must create a drabble of between 300-500 words.

Your prompt this week is:
    GODRIC GRYFFINDOR

Rules:
    300-500 words
    MUST be set in the Founder Era.

Form for your drabbles:
    PHP Code:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [
    B]House:[/B]
    [
    B]Title:[/B]
    [
    B]Ratings/Warnings:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]Favourite Founder:[/B]
    [
    B]A/N:[/B
    There will be SEVEN points for participation if you complete all four drabbles.
    15, 10 and 5 points will be awarded each week for first, second and third place respectively.

Please direct any questions to the Question Corner thread =)

HAVE FUN DRABBLERS!

~Madam Russia and Madam Carole xxxxx

Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!
    Thanks for entering!

Week 2 is now open HERE. Enjoy!

~Madam Russia xxxxx

secret_hermoine
    Name: secret_hermoine
    Title: Fear
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st-2nd years, Mention of parental abuse
    Word Count: 500
    A/N:

A tall, dark, handsome man with piercing green eyes stood in the doorway of his classroom. Students milled in the corridors, each going from one class to another. For the most part they seemed to be in groups of three or four, talking happily together without a care.

A tall woman in sweeping blue robes seemed to float towards him. “You look pensive, Godric,” she said kindly.

He sighed. “In a way, I envy them in their happiness. Look at them, Rowena!” he exclaimed, gesturing to a group of children laughing. “I envy them in being able to grow up like this. Their every need provided for. Twelve professors waiting to teach them everything they need to know. Goodness knows I didn't.”

_______

A solitary lamp gleamed by the new church in the middle of town. Silhouetted against it in the dark was the tall but scrawny frame of a boy perhaps fifteen or sixteen. He pulled his tattered jacket tighter around him and tramped down the road, crunching dry leaves under his worn boots.

He barely remembered this town. His had been born here, but had taken his abusive father's wand and left when he turned ten. He struck out across the country, begging a meal off a stranger in this town, stealthily stealing one in the next. Once he was far enough away that he was fairly sure his father wouldn't find him if he even bothered to look, Godric settled down. He chose an inconspicuous alley in Tiverton, Devon to live in.

He tried to earn enough money to keep himself alive by doing odd jobs for people, but eventually they all started asking questions. Questions he was not prepared to answer. So he always ran. Ran far enough away that nobody would recognize him and stopping in town big enough that not everyone would know his name within two hours of his arrival.

Every town he stopped in, he was competing for work with the other street boys. Some were not above stealing from him if they thought they could get away with it. He learned the hard way how to defend himself with and without magic and by the time he was thirteen, he had proved that he was nobody to mess with. But every time someone asked a question about where he had come from or why he was there, he ran.

Eventually he realized that he couldn't live that way. Eventually, he would run out of places to run to. It was time to face his fears and go back to the place that he had hated.

As he walked down the street, he trembled inside, every moment expecting his father to yell from a second floor window for him to come inside and be punished for running away. But to anyone else, the walk was confident, and secure.
    ________

“Those years taught me how to survive-- how to fight. But it was returning to my birthplace that taught me bravery.”