Thread: Mirror of Erised

Hybrid View

Ascendio

Mirror of Erised

I hope no threads already exist for this, I couldn't find any.

Anyway, for the mirror of Erised, did Dumbledore mention that the mirror has been in that room for very long? It has been in Hogwarts for quite a while, and in Pottermore we find out some more info about it as well from JKR, (Not saying just incase people would rather wait to find out.) but

Is there any evidence on how long it remained in that disused classroom?

About how many children do you think found it?

Do you think all of the teachers knew of it's existence there?

JoshB
    I don't think other than Pottermore there's much more in the books about it.

Harry found it hard to find, but that could have just been because he was new and in the dark, or it could actually be in a hard to find classroom off an old corridor. I think of it a bit like the Room of Requirement, in a hundred years or so that it's been there, maybe a few dozen students have come across it and fewer knew what is showed, but most remained ignorant.

I'm sure the teachers would have known about it, even if they hadn't gone to see it specifically.

LittleJM
    Is there any evidence on how long it remained in that disused classroom?
    No, I always imagined that it was something Dumbledore had brought in to protect the Stone. This would mean that it might have been there the summer holiday previous, but not much longer before.

About how many children do you think found it?
    If anyone else would have found it, wouldn't they have been caught staring at it, too? Harry and Ron seem to be the only ones that know. Dumbledore himself said that many grown wizards get caught up in the Mirror, so I can only imagine the hype that it would cause to any other inexperienced wizard.

Do you think all of the teachers knew of it's existence there?
    I imagine some did, because Quirrell knew what it was when he reached it. However, Dumbledore was probably smart enough to know that someone in the castle was after it, so I'm sure he didn't let all of the obstacles be common knowledge. If the wrong person knew, they could use it to find out how it worked before it was taken to hide the Stone.

TheCursedQuill
    Quote Originally Posted by SS pg. 170
    "I dunno, I've just got a bad feeling about it -- and anyway, you've had too many close shaves already. Filch, Snape, and Mrs. Norris are wandering around. So what if they can't see you. What if they walk into you. What if you knock something over."
    Possibly if other students found it, they'd feel like Ron. It's definitely something weird, and not all students would like it. Ron grew up in a wizard family, so he knows to take precaution with magical items he doesn't understand. Also, Harry can sneak out of bed at night because he has the cloak. Most students would probably be too scared to go out and look for it at night, and there'd be limited time during the day to sit there and look at it. Older students might go out at night, or even have free time during the day, but I don't think many students knew about it, and those that would have, probably wouldn't dwell on it like Harry did. Harry never knew his parents. Never even seen pictures of them, so it was something very personal and something he wanted very much. Most students would probably see something more like Ron's; them being good at something, or maybe being with their crush at the time; Things a person can see in their dreams because they are physical.

Quote Originally Posted by SS pg. 171
    "And it showed your friend Ron himself as head boy."
    So Dumbledore 1) has been watching the Mirror of Erised, or 2) has been watching Harry. I'm thinking both are true, and he would tell any other students who were caught looking at it the same he did to Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by SS pg. 171
    "you, like hundreds before you, have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised."
    This could mean alot of students found it. Or just a lot of wizards. I think not many students knew about it. It was probably hard to find, and really, throughout the books, have we ever seen anyone just exploring around the castle? If it was in an unused classroom, at the end of a corridor, or even in an unused corridor, I can't see many people finding it.

As for how long it was there, I agree with LittleJM that Dumbledore had it to protect the stone. But then again, if that was the reason, why not just bring it down the trapdoor in the first place?

Perhaps it's reason wasn't to protect the stone from the beginning, but simply something Dumbledore thought of after he recieved the mirror. If this is the case, I can't see it being at the school for very long. If other wizards have seen it and wasted time away at it, assuming these weren't students, then it couldn't have always been at Hogwarts. I can see it being a gift to Dumbledore. Maybe from Flamel? Flamel is old and powerful enough to have such an item, and maybe to show his thanks for protecting the stone, he gave it to Dumbledore.

-Sarah

LittleJM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCursedQuill View Post
    This could mean alot of students found it. Or just a lot of wizards. I think not many students knew about it. It was probably hard to find, and really, throughout the books, have we ever seen anyone just exploring around the castle? If it was in an unused classroom, at the end of a corridor, or even in an unused corridor, I can't see many people finding it.
    Thanks for the quotes! I never realized Dumbledore didn't specify if it was old or young wizards. I guess I always just assumed he meant older. I guess then, it is plausible to think others could have found it. The fact that Harry has a great advantage in his sneaking around also makes a really solid point - what other student would have the freedom to explore in that particular part of the castle at night, with security surrounding the Stone becoming pretty tight?
    Not to mention, I'm sure it was meant to be hidden well.

JoshB
    If anybody wants to know more information, I uploaded the Pottermore information to PasteBin. It answers a few of the questions. Don't click if you don't want to uncover it yourself.

SPOILER LINK http://pastebin.com/ZE8NBDd2 SPOILER LINK

Ascendio
    I think Sarah has a good idea that saying maybe Flamel gave it to Dumbledore as a gift for the help, so considering the stone's been around for a while (It has, hasn't it?) there's a chance it would be in Hogwarts before then. Do you think say people like the Marauders, or Fred and George who scoped out every inch of the castle looking for secret passageways would be likely to find it, or other curious and a bit mischievous children?

TheCursedQuill
    Do you think say people like the Marauders, or Fred and George who scoped out every inch of the castle looking for secret passageways would be likely to find it, or other curious and a bit mischievous children?

This sounds most plausible if any students would find it. It would be the ones who like to know the castle for quick get aways from trouble :P I would imagine Fred and George would have the same reaction as Ron. Coming up in the same family, they too would probably be cautious of it. If the Marauders found it, I can only really see it affecting Remus as he'd most likely see himself normal and not as a werewolf. But I would imagine Remus would tell Harry of this. They'd had some personal talks in their time and Remus would use it as some motivational speech to give Harry strength for... something. Or maybe he wouldn't :P

In any case, as I stated earlier, Dumbledore would probably shoo them away.