Thread: Canon of Information

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

Canon of Information

I was just over at Hypable reading the reviews of the first of those who have managed to gain entry into Pottermore beta. An example of what they say we will find out is backstory to Professor McGonagall.

That bit is just the beginning of it all. The idea of the amazing batches of information we will receive over the the following years, I expect it will revive fanfiction plots and ideas exponentially.

As I understand it, only information that is contained in the books constitute canon (according to mnff Help section). I know fanfiction writers constantly refer to Rowling's interviews previously for new, fill-in-the-blanks information on new characters. But now that will be mechanical and new information will keep on coming.

My question (more than suggestion, unless it triggers a debate) is whether we still ought to stick to the way canon is currently defined at mnff. Writers here are going to use that information to be inspired anyway, but will it have any effect on warnings placed on the story that utilises information from Pottermore? Not canon or canon?

I understand that this can be wholly sorted when we know the nature of information Pottermore will reveal, but it's starting now and the information will leak already before October, and meanwhile we could give this some thought.

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    I think anything on Pottermore should be treated as 100% canon, especially the longer bits written by JK herself. I think until the site is open to everyone we should refrain from posting about it in non-designated threads, so as not to spoil it for those who haven't gained access.

I'm absolutely loving it, the detail and backstory provided for some of the characters is just incredible, it would be foolish to disregard it.

NoxLeviosa47

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    The subject of the information released through Pottermore is currently under discussion by the moderators. Please do NOT post anything released on Pottermore unless it is a specific thread that carries a warning about potential spoilers. We don't want anyone who does not have access at this time to have their experience spoiled as Josh said.

My question (more than suggestion, unless it triggers a debate) is whether we still ought to stick to the way canon is currently defined at mnff. Writers here are going to use that information to be inspired anyway, but will it have any effect on warnings placed on the story that utilises information from Pottermore? Not canon or canon?
    As far as treating the information as canon, and the definition on MNFF, that is also being currently discussed by the moderators. As the backstories are all written by JK herself, they are canon and will be treated and looked upon as such. As the information is released through Pottermore, the moderators have a reference thread to refer to so they can check quickly to verify the canon information from there.

As far as warnings, this is also being discussed. We are discussing adding a warning such as Pottermore disregarded.

As I said, we are discussing the issue of Pottermore as we know many of our members have registered or are planning on registering for it.

By the way, if you go to the top of the page and click on Settings, then click on Edit Profile on the left hand side, you can add your Pottermore name to your Profile. That is a new feature our lovely Roxy Black added for us so we can all find each other.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iMusic17 View Post
    What about houses? If we were sorted differently on Pottermore, (grrrr I want my email), then would we change over here? Because even though your test was the best I have taken by far in terms of non-obvious answers, isn't anything JK writes canon?

Hmm. What JKR writes is canon, but I think it would be too much to say that our Sorting is canon. We aren't really a part of her universe.

I was somewhat taken aback to find myself in Slytherin at Pottermore, but that's okay. I've always suspected a lot of Slytherin traits in me, just didn't imagine they were more prominent. MNFF put me into Hufflepuff, and I don't mind that either, because I have a lot of badgeriness in me as well. Also, I know a lot of my friends are happier with their sorting here than on Pottermore.

The point is, we don't have to change our own rules because of Pottermore. Just because Ron/Hermione was endgame, it didn't stop people from writing Harry/Hermione.

~Natalie
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Time Traveler Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    What about houses? If we were sorted differently on Pottermore, (grrrr I want my email), then would we change over here? Because even though your test was the best I have taken by far in terms of non-obvious answers, isn't anything JK writes canon?

Regarding the back stories I have not had a chance to read, I think they should be canon, because if they are as interesting as everyone says, why not include them? I like the idea of Pottermore disregarded warning though, and we should possibly have a written pre-Pottermore warning, too, in case something we have written clashes with Pottermore.
    my page
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and banner by TM_Wandstick.

No matter what anyone tells you, words and ideas can change the world.
    (The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    - Maybe also a Pottermore spoilers warning, if you're going whole hog with the Pottermore warnings. Just a suggestion.

As to the idea of re-Sorting - eeps no, I like being a Puff and idk if I'll be a Puff on Pottermore. Pottermore is cool, but honestly I think I'll always identify with my MNFF house, no matter what Pottermore says.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Well, reSorting based on Pottermore would be problematical and also irrelevent given that the questions on Pottermore are totally different.

I am, by the way, a now proud member of

SLYTHERIN!!!!!

I can't quite believe it, but that's so cool.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Hmm, I must agree with Minna and Carole. I haven't received my welcome e-mail yet and I have a feeling Pottermore is not going to make me a 'Puff. I definitely wouldn't like my house here to be changed. I am too used to being a 'Puff because I feel I belong there. And re-Sorting will be too much for the Mods, too.
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Okay, just to reassure everyone, we will not be resorting anyone on here. We've always had our own sorting test and we always will. There are too many issues associated with re-sorting to pottermore standards (plus some of us refuse to accept our pottermore sortings and won't be leaving our MNFF houses without a considerable fight).

We're still discussing how MNFF needs to change its warning and canon rules in order to fit with the new revelations of Pottermore. Hopefully we'll have something to tell you soon.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.