Thread: Parents of Muggle-borns

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    And Hermione's parents enter Diagon Alley, would they definitely need the presence of Hermione to do so?
    I think the answer to that is that they very definitely would need Hermione there to be able to enter. She has to tap the bricks to get in for one thing. With Hogwarts and something like the QWC, I'm not sure they could enter. It's possible that all they need is Hermione telling them that the Muggle repelling spells are false and Hogwarts isn't an old ruin, but it's also possible that they just can't enter.

I'm not sure they can get on platform 9 3/4, either. Lily's parents are definitely at King's Cross, but it's not clear which side of the barrier they're on when she talks to Snape.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Ascendio

Parents of Muggle-borns

We know that certain magical places have protection around them to keep the Muggles from finding out about the wizarding world, however, what happens when the parents of a Muggle-born (thus already knowing of and being exposed to magic) enter a magical dwelling? What would happen when they entered the Leaky Cauldron, or Hogwarts? Would they see themselves entering an old ruin, and then what happens once they're inside?

And Hermione's parents enter Diagon Alley, would they definitely need the presence of Hermione to do so?

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    The places obviously physically exist and I imagine once the muggle is made fully aware of them or taken into them they'd see them for what they are. But then dementors can be felt but not seen my muggles, maybe similar principals apply?

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick View Post
    I'm not sure they can get on platform 9 3/4, either. Lily's parents are definitely at King's Cross, but it's not clear which side of the barrier they're on when she talks to Snape.
    I'm almost certain they're able to get onto Platform 9 3/4: at the age of 11 can you really expect children who have had no experience with magic and have no magical friends to know exactly what to do and not properly say goodbye to their parents, when they might not see them for a year?

NoxLeviosa47

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I'm almost certain they're able to get onto Platform 9 3/4: at the age of 11 can you really expect children who have had no experience with magic and have no magical friends to know exactly what to do and not properly say goodbye to their parents, when they might not see them for a year?
    By the same token why would Muggle parents send their kids to a school they'd never visited?

Actually, re-reading The Prince's Tale, Harry is on platform 9 3/4 and Snape is there with Lily and Petunia, so they must be able to get on with Lily there. I would reckon Lily would have to be there, though, or else any Muggle leaning on the barrier could get through. (I know, I've tried)
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Ascendio
    Maybe it has something to do with the knowlege of magic, like once a Muggle is made fully aware that the wizarding world exhists than they are able to enter and see the places that Muggles ordinarily wouldn't be able to?

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick View Post
    By the same token why would Muggle parents send their kids to a school they'd never visited?
    It is a daunting prospect, hence why they'd want to be with them until the last moment, no?

NoxLeviosa47

TheCursedQuill
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascendio View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the knowlege of magic, like once a Muggle is made fully aware that the wizarding world exhists than they are able to enter and see the places that Muggles ordinarily wouldn't be able to?
    I always sort of thought this to be the case. I can't imagine being a muggle married to a Wizard, and not being able to see any of their world...

Though it does make sense that they still would only see Hogwarts as an old ruin, and once inside they can fully see what it is. And maybe if the muggle has no knowledge of the Magical World, they they just wouldn't be able to enter?

There also things like The Leaky Cauldron and St.Mungos that aren't really hidden... they just look like old shops from the outside and muggles ignore them. But a muggle parent of a wizard would be made aware of these places and then could see them more clearly, instead of always just walking past it.

I have a question of my own along the same lines of Muggle parents/muggle spouses. When does it become acceptable to do magic in front of them? Dudley knows magic exists, yet Harry still gets in trouble for performing magic in front of him. If you marry a muggle, surely there is some way you could do magic around them? Same with your parents... once a wizard comes of age, they could do magic around the house... but if their parents were muggle, could they still?