Thread: A traitor in the Order

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?

A traitor in the Order

I have this memory that it says somewhere that during the First War they suspected a traitor in the Order and it was one of the Marauders and that's why Remus wasn't chosen as Secret Keeper (?). I have a couple of questions on this:

A) Did I completely imagine this or is it real?
    B) If real, did it necessarily have to be one of the Marauders, or just someone in the Order?

Mainly my question is if it would be plausible for the Marauders to trust Remus still if, say, the Longbottoms and Dumbledore got killed and they decided to find a new place to hide.

Would be helpful if, in your answer, you provided quotes. I love quotes. I just can't seem to find them. >.<

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Quote Originally Posted by PoA p. 252
    "But then ..." Lupin muttered, staring at Black so intently it seemed he was trying to read his mind, "...why hasn't he shown himself before now? Unless-" Lupin's eyes suddenly widened, as though he was seeing something beyond Black, something none of the rest could see, "- unless he was the one...unless you switched...without telling me"
    Quote Originally Posted by PoA p. 271 - Sirius
    But you, Peter- I"ll never understand why I didn't see you as the spy from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoA p. 273
    "Remus!" Pettigrew squeaked, turning to Lupin insead, writhing imploringly in front of him. "You don't believe this ... Wouldn't Sirius have told you they'd changed the plan?

"Not if he thought I was the spy, Peter," said Lupin. "I assume that's why you didn't tell me, Sirius?" he said casually over Pettigrew's head.

"Forgive me, Remus," said Black.

"Not at all, Padfoot, old friend," said Lupin, "And you in turn will forgive me for believing you were the spy?"
    Hopefully that helps.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Yay thanks Maple. I can't think why I didn't think of looking in PoA. -rolls eyes at self-

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    B) If real, did it necessarily have to be one of the Marauders, or just someone in the Order?
    It had to be someone close to the Potter's - that's what McG said in POA. Thing is, if you're going AU and killing Nev, then Snape wouldn't have warned Dumbledore that the Potters were the target, and Peter might not have been a spy. It was his closeness to the Marauders that Voldy was interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by POA The Marauder's Map
    'He was sure someone close to the Potters had been keeping You-Know-Who informed of their movements,' said Professor McGonagall darkly. 'Indeed he suspected that someone on our side had turned traitor and was passing a lot of information to You-Know-Who.'
    Mainly my question is if it would be plausible for the Marauders to trust Remus still if, say, the Longbottoms and Dumbledore got killed and they decided to find a new place to hide.

If they haven't narrowed the spy down to someone close to the Marauders, then Remus could well be above suspicion.

There doesn't even need to be spy.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Thanks, Carole, you're a star. Obviously I need to re-read the books before writing an AU that diverges in Marauder Era. xD