Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beauxbatons

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Beauxbatons

I'm writing a fic about a girl who goes to Beauxbatons but I know very little about the school. I know they wear robes of blue silk, the palace is thought to be in southern France and Fleur say's in HBP that they sit their OWLs in their 6th year but other than that I know very little. Do you think Beauxbatons has a house system like Hogwarts or do they have common rooms for each year instead, also do you think it is a good school (do they get good results or do they not do so well in certain subjects) and do you think they have the same lessons as Hogwarts or will they have some extra's?

Any help will be welcome,

~Abi~

p.s I apologize if this is in the wring place, mods feel free to move it.

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I have the basics of a fic about Beauxbatons, so I have thought about the House system etc etc. Whilst I do think they'd have some sort of House set up in place - most schools encourage competition, after all - I think you have free rein how you set this up.

There's no reason, for instance, to have a Sorting based on characteristics that a hat happens to find in an eleven year old's head. To me that's like a Muggle school deciding to put all the very bright children in one house. At my son's new school they operate a house system (it's not a boarding school) and they've made sure they spread them equally by intelligence and sporting ability.

So, back to my story ... I decided Beauxbatons was split into four Towers (North, South, East and West) and the pupils were randomly put into them, although families/siblings would be placed in the same house. They could have a certain amount of choice. Yes, it's far more boring than a Sorting Hat, but it seemed fairer to me.

I think they have the same sort of lessons. Fleur seems very adept at spells, but you could add some others. Durmstrang teaches Dark Arts and not Defenbce against, but I can't see Beauxbatons following suit. Perhaps Charms is a more important subject for them. Fleur didn't appear to Transfigure anything in the Triwizard tournament but that could be because she was better at Charms. Cedric and Krum relied more on Transfiguration. You could look at them learning languages. I know that's not particularly magic, but they can at least speak English, Ron and Harry don't know any French at all.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Thank you Carole!

I was thinking, do you think Beauxbatons would have the outdoorsy lesson's (i.e care of magical creatures)? Also do you think they would have lessons about mythology and magic in other countries?

As no one else has replied in here I thought I would try to revive the thread. How do you think the pupils would get to school? Would they use the carridge that Beauxbatons came to Hogwarts in or would they have other ways?

Again any help welcome!

~Abi~

JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

JoshB
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy717 View Post
    I was thinking, do you think Beauxbatons would have the outdoorsy lesson's (i.e care of magical creatures)? Also do you think they would have lessons about mythology and magic in other countries?
    I imagine they would have CoMC lessons but they'd be more Grubbly-Plankesque: studying unicorns and generally more elegant creatures than blast ended skrewts. Perhaps a more passive approach, studying and observing the creatures rather than actually hands-on 'caring' for them.

I'm not sure if it's likely that they'd have lessons about other countries but perhaps they just have a better general magical knowledge than British wizards: most of the students and even ministry people often appear ignorant of foreign cultures.

As no one else has replied in here I thought I would try to revive the thread. How do you think the pupils would get to school? Would they use the carridge that Beauxbatons came to Hogwarts in or would they have other ways?
    As to getting to school I doubt they use the carriage, that seemed to be for the purpose of showing off and would be impractical for 100s of students to use. Maybe they're expected to make their own way to the school?

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Thank you!

I agree about the care of magical creatures classes being more about studying and observing creatures and about the way the students get to school.

Another question: How many pupils do you think go to Beauxbatons and do you think and foreign pupils go there?

~Abi~

JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Fourth Year Slytherin
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    How many pupils do you think go to Beauxbatons and do you think and foreign pupils go there?
    I think it would be reasonable to imagine that pupils attend Beauxbatons from throughout the Francophonie (the French Commonwealth), but that might suggest a certain lack of national pride, so it probably wouldn't be very common. Just like Draco considered going to Durmstrang, I'm sure other francophones might have the option if not the pleasure of attending.

Transportation is always a messy topic (I also had to explore it for my Durmstrang fic, where I decided to play off of the boat concept, and have students piling into boats and being sucked into bodies of water near their homes that pop them up underneath the Durmstrang caste). However, there's no reason why the Beauxbaton system shouldn't be more like Hogwarts (a central point of departure--King's Cross). Perhaps somewhere in Paris? Gare du Sud? (which is currently and conveniently abandoned), or perhaps a secret stop on the Parisian metro. If that sounds a bit too similar to Hogwarts, you could indeed explore the horse and carriage option.

Rowling's characterisation of Beauxbatons suggests a slightly delicate, well mannered people used to the good life. I imagine their transportation, whatever it is, to be equally comfortable and high-class. Even if they were putting on airs for the benefit of the international community at the cup, Fleur did have a lot of complaints

-Merlynne

EDIT: Yay! My post finally went through. I wanted to add that I agree that Beauxbatons probably wouldn't have a house system because it is quite British (BUT some schools in Canada do have houses--private schools and the like, mostly. We do like to think we're rather British, what with the Queen being our head of state and all )
    Last edited by Merlynne; 08-08-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Post finally went through!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    I find the idea that Beaxbatons is more like a Finishing School than Hogwarts kind of strange. It's a school and since Magical Creatures are an important part of the Magical World I think they'd learn about all of them, rather than just elegant creatures. Most of the students and probably the teachers found the blast ended skrewts odd- that was Hagrid rather than Hogwarts.

I think, given France has a larger population than Britain, there owuld be more students though how many I'm not sure. I don't think JKs numbers for Hogwarts quite add up.

Also- just based on the fact that generally people on the continent speak more languages/ are closer to foreign countries than Britain is (being an island) that there would be more foreign students and also a general awareness of foreign cultures taught.

In one of my story's a British child goes to Beauxbatons because her father is a Death Eater in Azkaban, and her mother thinks she'll be happier in a foreign country (and she's partly French anyway so can speak French already), and whilst at Beauxbatons learned German and Italian. But most of the time I treated the school as a school pretty similar to Hogwarts (though it didn't have a house system).
    Banner by Minna.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med View Post
    I doubt very much that Beauxbatons would have a house system. The house system is a uniquely British concept. They may have houses at schools in Australia, but it is something you almost never see in the United States or Canada. So I doubt that a school without British origins would have one.

While I agree with you that the house system is quite a British thing, and that the school wouldn't really have houses, they still need to split them up somehow. I agree with Carole they would probably "sort" them into different houses/towers/classes at random. You just can't have a practical magic class with forty children. Groups need to be smaller, hence the large group of pupils needs to be divided.

I always got the impression that Beauxbatons was a very competitive place, so whether you have them compete between classes, or between individual pupils is up to you but I do think there would be some sort of "who's the best" contest. Sticking with Carole's idea, you could well have the students from the North tower sticking their nose up, because they had the best average at the end of the last trimester.

As to how many pupils attend Beauxbatons, and where they come from I can see parents throughout Europe wanting to send their children to Beauxbatons; things like these just always depend on the parents' character. For example, someone who thinks that Hogwarts sets the wrong priorities, or that their methods are too crude or whatever might prefer Beauxbatons. Maybe they go through old records and find out that Beauxbatons students have a much better shot at an open-end career. While reading the books, I got the feeling that Beauxbatons has high standards regarding discipline, and there certainly are parents who would appreciate that.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Thank you!

While I was reading the books I tended to feel that Beauxbatons is a very proud and disciplined school as when ever Madame Maxime came into the room they all stood for her.

Another question: Do you think Beauxbatons would have set classes? I was thinking that they could be mixed for their first year but after that they would be put in a class with people around the same ability as them. With this idea do you think that after their OWL's (would they call them that) could some people take advanced subjects (i.e. charms, potions, transfiguration)? Do Beauxbatons students take NEWT's (again would they be called that?) the year after their OWL's as I have always been a bit confused about that since they take OWL's in 6th year.

Any help welcome

~Abi~

EDIT This should be after OliveOil_Med's post. Damn nargles!
    Last edited by crazy717; 08-07-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Post nargles are at it again!

JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I doubt very much that Beauxbatons would have a house system. The house system is a uniquely British concept. They may have houses at schools in Australia, but it is something you almost never see in the United States or Canada. So I doubt that a school without British origins would have one.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!