Thread: 2015 Quicksilver Quill Awards — RESULTS!

Apple Wood Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron

2015 Quicksilver Quill Awards — RESULTS!

Hello everyone!

It's the moment I know you've all been waiting for - the QSQ winners are ready to announce. Although we had some issues before the QSQs got on their way, I am extraordinarily pleased to announce our very diverse and enjoyable set of winners. I hope this is a sign of buzzing life in MNFF!

As always, I would like to profusely thank the judges, without whom we would have nothing at all. I would also like to thank those of you who took the time to vote in the various polls and FQSQs. As this year's nomination list was smaller, we do have fewer winners, but all of this year's winners are extraordinarily good, and I can't wait for you all to see the results.

Before I get on to the list of the winners, we have the annual banner reveal. This year's winning banner was designed by the very talented...um...me. Here is a preview:

All winners and judges will receive their banners soon after I post this. All three banners are extremely similar.

Now, without further ado, I present to you, the winners of the 2015 Quicksilver Quills!

General

Tiny Animals by Oregonian
    This is a wonderful Missing Moment...absolutely beautifully written. It gave us chills and made us think hard about the British social services system. It is thought provoking, stays with us, and is so sad...totally different from the other winner. They are both stellar examples of what their categories should be. We can't even make a meaningful comparison because both stories are so good.

AND

The Not-So-Fast And the Furious by minnabird
    We thought this story was hilarious. The two winners are so different it's like comparing apples and oranges. Neither is of higher quality than the other, and The Not-So-Fast and the Furious was excellent. Although we didn't need to read previous stories in this timeline, we definitely want to now. The characterization is great, it felt good to read, it was funny and it made us throw back our heads and howl...uh....we mean laugh.

Dark/Angst

Astriferous by Padfoot11333
    This story has everything dark/angst requires: romantic angst, parental angst, existential angst, overwhelming doubt, and rough struggles. At the same time, it radiates stardust and there is a strength in Merope that is not often mentioned: the hopes for her son. There is also very vivid language that captures the raw textures of Merope's world, leaving us as readers in no doubt of what is happening to her.

Post-Hogwarts/Next-Generation

One-shot - Now and Forever by Northumbrian
    This unique story was full of creative ideas and contained some seriously cool magical elements. The thought of a statue deciding where it wants to be and then to travel to that place is very funny, although the main thread of the story is rather sad: how important is to those involved that only the fallen be memorialized at Hogwarts. We’ve never read another story like it, but it fits right into the Wizarding World; it feels like it could’ve sprung from Rowling’s own imagination.

Chaptered - Friends and Foes by Northumbrian
    This story is great fun: the characterisation is golden, the writing is crisp, enjoyable and engaging. It has plot in spades, a good balance between plot and exploration of family as a theme, and OCs with drew us in. A major asset of the writing is how grounded it is in both Britain and Rowling's world. It's well-paced, well written and, most importantly, enjoyable to read.

AND

Allegiance by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    This dark story moves seamlessly between past and present in a way that is not a device but a definite strength. The plot is promising, the writing is powerful, and no characterisation can compare to what has been done with Draco here: the story has delved into aspects of his character that are complex and beg for sympathy without straying from the character we know in the books.

Poetry

Early, Early Spring: Professor Sinistra Reflects by Oregonian
    I absolutely love the imagery in this piece. The clear picture it painted hooked me and the kaleidoscope of shifting springtime images and the easy rhythm carried me through. The language flowed well from one thought to the next, and the rhyme scheme seemed effortless. It stuck in my head because it gave me a surprisingly good idea of Sinistra's character, and a convincing one. Far from being confined to her Astronomy Tower, she is a woman deeply in tune with the beauty and order of the world around her. Everything, in its way, serves not only to be beautiful but to characterize Sinistra and show how she sees the world. It’s a subtle and lovely character piece.

Non-Canon Romance

James and Me by Northumbrian
    This story amply demonstrates Neil’s solid craftsmanship with his accustomed complexity of plot unfolding in his straightforward, unaffected style. The smoothly flowing narrative treats us to a friendship developing slowly and cautiously into a romance, built on the ruins of previous relationships of both characters, in a setting of forgiveness and redemption. The story springs from a rich background of Neil’s extensively-chronicled head canon, with a broad cast of well-developed canon and non-canon characters and carefully detailed scenes. The theme of budding romance is interwoven with the tension of straddling the line between the Muggle and magical worlds, and a hint of startling revelations about the legends of Robin Hood and his merry men.
    ♥♥♥ Lily Writes ♥♥♥

Banner by the opaleye. Avi by TM_Wandstick.

Apple Wood Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    And now for the FQSQ! Thank you all for your votes. I am incredibly pleased to announce the winners of this year’s Outstanding Contribution to MNFF award.

The FQSQ banner is:

(also created by me)

I would like to genuinely thank EVERYONE who has participated in MNFF - from those who work tirelessly behind the scenes coding, modding and keeping everything tidy, to those who are active and welcoming participants in everything that goes on. These awards - from the voting to the judging to the TWELVE banner entries that were submitted - would not have gone on without you all. While this award might symbolize an Outstanding contribution, I think it’s important to recognize all of the smaller contributions that people do every single day on this website. Especially with a dwindling fanbase, every member counts.

The winners of this year’s award are:

Oregonian
    She is definitely the most dedicated in keeping forums active. Vicki's Holiday Table idea and her active posting really helped bring spirit back into MNFF....she is, in my opinion, the one that really helped bring the boards back to life. Vicki has tirelessly taken up the mantle of a changing fandom and never blinked at the challenges. I really respect how much effort she's put in for the MNFF community. No one deserves the title ‘Cheerleader’ more than Vicki does.

AND

Padfoot11333
    Lily deserves major kudos for running the QSQs and recent challenges more or less singlehandedly. She has worked tirelessly on the QSQs as well as modding and running The Three Broomsticks and giving us a great drabble challenge that attracted ten entries (that's wonderful) and got us writing again. Her enthusiasm is contagious...an enthusiastic and welcoming staffer. I can’t think of something Lily hasn’t done.
    ♥♥♥ Lily Writes ♥♥♥

Apple Wood Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    There is one last post I need to make, and that is to thank the people without whom these awards would never happen - the judges!

The following list of people gave up their time, reading and commenting on stories and helping to make the near-impossible decisions as to which stories were most worthy of an award (because there were many nominees who could easily have won).

These awards have become one of the most important events on the MNFF calendar and they mean a lot to a lot of people, but they take a lot of work and organisation to keep running smoothly.

This year, to thank all of the judges for their hard work, they will all receive a personalised banner, designed, once again, by the very talented...me. Here is a preview of the banner:

The first extra-special group of people I would like to thank are the committee leaders, who guided the judges through the process and helped drive the judging forward and ensure results could be published in a timely manner, as well as doing some of the reading and commenting themselves. They are:

Oregonian
    Nagini Riddle
    1000timesingoldenink
    BrokenPromise

Next are the people who supported them through the process - the judges. These people read all the nominees and ensured every story was given the discussion and attention it deserved. Hopefully, I have included everyone on here, but if you think your name should be included then please do let me know (and accept my apologies for missing you).

crazy717
    fynnsmom
    Kerichi
    laurskii
    minnabird
    WeasleyMom
    WrenWinterSong

With that, and with a tear in my eye, I bring the 2015 QSQ awards to a close. I have loved running these awards so much and I hope that I have done a good job of it If you have any question/concerns/feedback etc about the awards then please let me know. I will send out banners asap. You may post in this thread to squee as you see fit.
    ♥♥♥ Lily Writes ♥♥♥

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Sirius Black Has Made It To The Muggle News
    Am I allowed to just write "squee?"

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! Congratulations to everyone, and thanks for all your hard work that goes into writing these awesome stories, and also that goes into judging, organizing everything, and keeping participation up. Our group may be small, but we are a mighty bunch! I can't wait to see what else we can do!

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Beset by Owls
    Aww, congratulations, winners! <3 All of you deserve your awards! Fabulous writing.
    nicole

lovely banner by minnabird | icon by etherealnetwork @ lj
    fics

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Thanks for the awards and the kind words. I'm no feeling guilty about how infrequently I visit these pages. I’ve been busy in real life, and I'm also having some issues uploading stories to this site, so you haven’t seen much from me recently. I’m still working on James and Me, and on Friends and Foes, (and Strangers at Drakeshaugh, too). Hopefully I’ll get something new posted soon.

Congratulations to the other winners. I’ll try to read (and review) the winning stories. It's the least I can do.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Thanks for the awards and the kind words. I'm no feeling guilty about how infrequently I visit these pages. I’ve been busy in real life, and I'm also having some issues uploading stories to this site, so you haven’t seen much from me recently. I’m still working on James and Me, and on Friends and Foes, (and Strangers at Drakeshaugh, too). Hopefully I’ll get something new posted soon.

Congratulations to the other winners. I’ll try to read (and review) the winning stories. It's the least I can do.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Kill the Spare
    Wow, that's really cool. *polishes old PH crown*
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Obliviate!
    Oh my gosh, thanks so much. Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to all the judges whose hard work went into bringing us these decisions, and to Lily for running the show.