Thread: Heaven, Hell, the afterlife, fate, God? in Potterverse

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?

Heaven, Hell, the afterlife, fate, God? in Potterverse

This question has been bothering me for a while so I wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on it. Now, regardless of your personal opinions/ faith re- a higher power/ the possibility of an afterlife, there is definitely an afterlife and definitely fate within the Potterverse. I think JK said she consciously avoided specifically mentioning religion because she didn't want to upset people/ allow them to get the wrong end of the stick (or something like that) but do you think, considering the afterlife and fate definitely exist, that there is also definitely a God/ some sort of supernatural being/beings? (I think JK is Christian and they are, I think, very Christian books (though not in a preachy way at all) so obviously that influences it but I'm not sure).

Also- there's an afterlife. Is there any evidence within the books/ in interview canon of whether this is divided into heaven and hell? Or is there just one afterlife? Apart from everyone Harry cares about being together, what do you think this afterlife is like? I've read two fantastic stories on MNFF set in the afterlife- The Stones On The Riverbank by Sapphire At Dawn and another one years ago which I can't remember- I will edit in when I've found it.

Any thoughts/ superior knowledge will be much appreciated,

Alex
    Banner by Minna.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Ok, I'm going to try and answer this question in a way that won't offend anyone, and I'm really sorry if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    but do you think, considering the afterlife and fate definitely exist, that there is also definitely a God/ some sort of supernatural being/beings?
    The fact that they celebrate Christmas and Easter suggests some sort of connection to Christianity. Whether it be they just picked it up from Muggles or if there are some religious members, we don't know. Another thing is that the Potterverse doesn't exist in a world seperate from our own, but is rather a hidden world in the midst of the Muggle world. In one of the books, Ginny says "Oh my God" (when she brings Harry a chocolate egg in the library), which also suggests God. Finally, on the Dumbledore tombstone, it says, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" which is Matthew 6:21 and Luke 12:34 (NIV, they both are exactly the same) and the Potter tomb says "The last enemy to be destroyed is death" which is from 1 Corinthians 15:26. To me, this suggests that somewhere, sometime, wizards have been exposed to the Bible, in this case Dumbledore, meaning that it exists (this would be an extrapolation on my part). As for supernatural beings, they definately do exist, as there are ghosts and poltergeists. As well, there are water demons mentioned, though there is no canon evidence for demons in the religious sense (as in the ones that posess, Satan's henchmen, whatever they might be).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Is there any evidence within the books/ in interview canon of whether this is divided into heaven and hell? Or is there just one afterlife?
    The afterlife in Harry Potter has been referred to as "beyond the veil" in some spots. This is something interesting that I read a little while ago. I have theories as to what this might prove, but they remain only theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrews 6:19-20 (NIV)
    It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf.
    The curtain, or veil, as it is referred to in other places, was, in Old Testament times, what seperated man from the Holy of Holies in the temple, or the presense of God. From what I understand from what my pastor was saying (or this is what I thought he was saying), is that the curtain now seperates us God, but upon death, we can enter it, due to Christ's sacrifice. I think that's what the curtain is, I'm not positive, as I don't have a Theology degree or anything

This lends me to think that JKR has a unified afterlife in mind, meaning no seperation of Heaven and Hell, as every character is referred to as behind the veil or whatever. What I do find interesting though, is that Voldemort cannot pass onto the afterlife due to the destruction of his soul. This means that she is saying that your soul passes on, and not your body. If JKR is picturing a unified afterlife somewhat based on a Biblical principle, she may have a sort of Heaven-like place in mind. We note that Harry doesn't need glasses, and that his body was as new when he sets himself to die. That makes me think that JKR's afterlife is free from sorrows, perhaps it is a perfect world.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!