Thread: Hair Care etc etc

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

Hair Care etc etc

I was wondering something recently. Do you think wizards and witches have barber shops/hairdressers?

Molly cuts her kids' hair (apart from Bill who is obviously too cool), but what is the point when Charlie sneaks downstairs trying to grow it all back? Do you think she uses scissors or a shearing spell?

Would Hermione wait until she gets home to go to a Muggle hairdressers? Or are there facilities at the school or in Hogsmeade?

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Not sure Hogwarts would have those, though you can easily invent one for Hogsmeade, maybe a small shop which you can have newly opened after the war.
    But can't you just see someone like McGonagall ordering Ron to get his hair cut? I bet she hated it if their hair touched their collars. She wouldn't have liked GOF film hair at all.
    The Slytherins were probably allowed much longer hair and Snape probably didn't mind much about shampooing it.

How does Romilda cut hair in your fic? Does she use a wand?

You've got me wondering about Narcissa, now. I bet she wasn't allowed out to get her hair groomed when Voldemort was in situ.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Waddiwasi!
    Hmm. I think there might be hair-care products manufacturers - Hermione did use that Sleek Easy (or something I am sorry I don't have the books D in GOF. We prolly never heard of them because we were reading the story from Harry's POV, not, say Narcissa Malfoy's.

In Charlie's case, I think if you want to regrow your hair, you could probably use a Lengthening Charm. (LOL I think I made that up.) I'm saying, it could be that way instead of the other way round, meaning, Molly using a spell to cut the hair. To be honest, I found Molly using scissors odd, because I think you can easily do it with a wand (which is what I have Romilda Vane doing it in a fanfic).

Speaking of Romilda Vane, I do think the witching world (heehee) would indeed have hairdressers/barbers who are expert at cutting hair with wands using spells which would probably help retain the cut. Not sure Hogwarts would have those, though you can easily invent one for Hogsmeade, maybe a small shop which you can have newly opened after the war. Or hell even before that. Perhaps, Rowling didn't feel it was that important, but she didn't mention a lot of things - wizard butchers and grocers, for instance.

~Natalie
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Waddiwasi!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick View Post
    But can't you just see someone like McGonagall ordering Ron to get his hair cut? I bet she hated it if their hair touched their collars. She wouldn't have liked GOF film hair at all.
    The Slytherins were probably allowed much longer hair and Snape probably didn't mind much about shampooing it.

How does Romilda cut hair in your fic? Does she use a wand?

~Carole~
    Oh in another fic (I didn't know my fanfics featured hairy issues to this extent), McGonagall orders a young Bill to cut his hair, but then Dumbly allows him to keep it, overruling her. What I'm saying is that I think the students could cut/style on their own, but I don't think they'd find a professional in the grounds.

*has a brief vision of Hagrid cutting people's hair*

Romilda uses a wand in my fic. I thought it was more witchy than using a pair of scissors because in that case, what would be the difference between a Muggle hairdresser and a magical one?

As for Narcissa, hahaha! I suppose she looked haggardly during Voldy's reign at the Manor. Can't picture her asking:

"Excuse me, Master, but I need to get my hair blow-dried today."

(crickets)

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I definately think they use charms. And there are most certainly hair products. And I think Hermione wouldn't wait till she was back in Muggle world to cut her hair...that's 10 months without a trim :O I think the Weasleys would develop hair products in their witches line. :P
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    A few thoughts:

A shearing spell would be good for trims or basic cuts, but it would take a lot of control to get a more complicated hair cut.

This, to me, suggests that there are hair dressers and barbers for witches and wizards interested in fancier cuts.

Maybe Mrs Weasley uses a shearing spell because it's simpler and faster, but uses some scissor work on Ginny?

The idea of charmed equipment would also work - except I don't see charmed equipment being able to tell anything about how you want your cut. I can tell my hair dresser that I want something short, something that will look good under a graduation cap, but you can't exactly tell a pair of scissors anything like that.

As for Hermoine, I'm pretty laid back about my hair, I tend to cut it and then let it grow back in. I only get a hair cut once a year and I have other female friends who do the same. I don't see why Hermoine wouldn't just wait for vacation to cut her hair, if she preferred a Muggle hairdresser.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Oops, accidental double post.

Mods: please delete.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Tafka
    There's a third alternative to charms or muggle scissors: Enchanted scissors! (and combs, brushes, curlers) A proper Wizarding barber might have their own equipment, but instead of using it in the muggle style (someone like Narcissa Malfoy would never stand for that!) they charm the equipment to do the work for them! Of course, then the scissors and such would have to be wizard made to avoid violating the "misuse of muggle artifacts" law...

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Originally posted by Aida Luthien

As for Hermoine, I'm pretty laid back about my hair, I tend to cut it and then let it grow back in. I only get a hair cut once a year and I have other female friends who do the same. I don't see why Hermoine wouldn't just wait for vacation to cut her hair, if she preferred a Muggle hairdresser.
    I'm pretty laid back about my hair too, actually, but I have to get it cut at least once every eight months or so or it goes totally crazy. I have very similar hair to Hermione (wavy and bushy, and far too thick for its own good), and this "health trim" every six to eight months really helps.

Originally posted by Natalie

"Excuse me, Master, but I need to get my hair blow-dried today."

(crickets)

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"
    Hahahahaha!

Originally posted by Tafka

A proper Wizarding barber might have their own equipment, but instead of using it in the muggle style (someone like Narcissa Malfoy would never stand for that!) they charm the equipment to do the work for them!
    Yes, that is a good idea. It would be a lot like Ollivander's tape measure. The only downfall I could see is that some people might view it as the hairdresser being awfully disconnected with his work. If he or she doesn't properly pay attention for a moment, some poor person could end up with a very unfortunate haircut that could be difficult to fix.

I was wondering more about the product side of things. (Though I did like what Aida said about only skilled hairdresser witches/wizards using spells to cut hair.) Do you think witches in particular would use the same variety in scents in shampoos and conditioners that Muggle girls use? Oh, also, do scented shampoos hold the same propensity in the UK as they do in the US? I'm personally rather partial to pomegranate.

Also, where would they get the shampoo? I can understand that we haven't seen much of this side of things because the story's told from the point of view of a boy, but honestly, even Harry's got to buy shampoo sometime. Do you think it's just dispensed in the showers in whatever scent the showerer wishes (sort of in a similar vein with the plates at the Yule Ball), and then refilled by the house-elves?

Banner by the lovely Megan/FawkesToTheRescue

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    OH! I've just remembered Harry's magical shaver that the Delacours gave him for his birthday.

Perhaps Wizard barbers use something like that.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird