Thread: Animals at the Burrow

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Animals at the Burrow

I remember in the second movie that the Weasleys had some farm animals at their home, but it was never mentioned in the book. Although, from my own writing, I know there are many more details about my characters' homes and lives that a never mention just because it does nothing to further the story. I wonder if this is the same thing.

Do you think the Weasleys would have any farm animals or other animals at the Burrow? What would they be?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

keara96
    I don't remember any mention either about animals in the book. Of course, they would have the ows: Errol and later Pigwidgeon. Other than that, I think you can pretty much do what you want and decide how you want animals at their house to fit into your story.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    They definately have chickens, as Molly says that she wants Harry to "muck out the chickens" (DH 81).
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I remember seeing pigs in the movies. I definitely think they probably would have sheep, cows, or horses, but do you think pigs would be possible? What about ducks and geese? What could be some other possibilities?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    I really don't see the Weasleys owning that many animals. A few chickens is very different to a farmyard full, and I can't help thinking we'd have seen some mention of them during the wedding preparations if they existed.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Sounds good! I can see the practicality of having chickens for eggs, and maybe just one cow for milk, but I don't see the usefulness in many more animals.

Thank you everyone!

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Horses generally wouldn't be useful unless they were actively plowing things. Plus, when you have broomsticks, you don't really need hunters or thoroughbreds for riding.

Sheep and cows need a fair amount of grazing area. I never imagined the Burrow to be up in the north where there's (in my limited experience) a lot of sheep and a fair amount of cows.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    If the Weasleys had a lot of grazing animals, then they'd have kicked off the gnomes. The Weasleys aren't farmers and I think a few chickens is the extent of their livestock.

Horses? I agree with Aida, what would be the point?
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    I would think, from a logistical standpoint, that animals other than a small flock of chickens would be impractical. Once the kids are off to school, the only one home all day is Molly. Arthur is off to work, which would leave her alone to take care of pretty much all domestic affairs. It seems a rather tall task for her to have to clean the house, cook the food, care for the grounds, deal with gnomes when they crop up, and look after her plants as it is, even aided by magic. Adding a stable full of animals would best even the inestimable Molly Weasley, since there's no way the family could have hired any help. And I would think Arthur wouldn't be caddish enough to let her work that hard.
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor; 06-19-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

QSQ-worthy banner by Minna / minnabird.