Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver Weapons

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    Maple_and_PheonixFeather
    I think that in the case of Voldemort's shield, the dagger, and the sword, JKR isn't meaning that they are MADE from silver, but rather that they are a silver COLOUR.
    The sword at least is canonically silver. Griphook has a rant in DH in which he explains how Goblin silver is essentially indestructible and imbibes whatever makes it stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    But Tim, I know you tend to favor 'gritty' over 'whimsical', so I think as long as you can explain favoring steel over silver in your stories, I think you can make it work.
    I like whimsy. But as you probably deduced grittiness is the better mindset if you want to design a proper weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian
    As I said, there may be magical reasons why goblins choose silver. Perhaps the folklore is right, and it’s possible to drive off ghosts, fairies, witches, goblins and other malevolent supernatural creatures with “cold iron”.
    Perhaps the anti-arcane qualities of iron make it difficult to forge with magic. Conversely, silver's good electrical conductivity might also lend to easy charming. The strengthening/sharpening spells added to the metal would probably be more important than the actual physical qualities of the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Steel is magnetic which is rather a poor quality to have in a magical sword if your enemy can hold up a magnet and get the weapon from you.
    Bringing a magnet to a sword fight is an excellent way to get yourself killed.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Bringing a magnet to a sword fight is an excellent way to get yourself killed.
    It is indeed. But if your opponant is the only one with a sword - like Neville with the Sword of Gryffindor - then it's an excellent way to disarm him, especially if you can cast a Protego Charm.
    And having a huge magnet in battle, like one of those ones used at recycling plants - Wow, I can see the comedy moments now.

The sword at least is canonically silver. Griphook has a rant in DH in which he explains how Goblin silver is essentially indestructible and imbibes whatever makes it stronger.
    Good point. I think you've just answered your own question. Silver - especially goblin made silver is essentially indestructible and imibes whatever makes it stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It can probably conduct magic and absorb magic better than another metal.
    Conversely, silver's good electrical conductivity might also lend to easy charming. The strengthening/sharpening spells added to the metal would probably be more important than the actual physical qualities of the metal.
    Glad we agree about something.
    Last edited by Equinox Chick; 06-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird