Thread: SPEW Story Updates

jenny b

SPEW Story Updates

Since the old SPEW story update thread was getting a bit cluttered and forgotten, I'm making a new one. Please don't spam it with the fics you already have - only post when you've got something new up! This way we can all see the brilliant fics our fellow SPEWers have written recently

PHP Code:
    [B]Title/Link:[/B]
    [
    B]Category:[/B]
    [
    B]Rating:[/B]
    [
    B]Warnings:[/B]
    [
    B]Summary:[/B

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Title: Checkmate
    Category: James/Lily
    Rating: 3rd-5th years
    Warnings: Abuse, Character Death, DH Spoilers, Strong Profanity, Suicide, Violence
    Summary:
    "Times like these, dark times, it can bring people together. They can tear them apart…” Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, movie trailer

In the midst of the war, two completely different people are brought together and torn apart in equal measure as they battle their way through their final year at Hogwarts. Tortures, abductions and murders are committed right under the Minister for Magic’s nose, secrets are discovered and friendships form while others are shattered to pieces. And, stuck in the middle of all of this, James Potter and Lily Evans realise that, when your world is in uproar, no matter how many secrets you have, no matter what hexes you can do, no matter how popular you are, one fact remains crystal clear: in a war, you’re going to have to take a side…

And if you die while you're at it, well…tough.

I do not own Harry Potter. It all belongs to a certain Jo Rowling.

A big thank you to Stacey and Alex for beta'ing.

All reviews receive a reply!

Chapter Seven, Wishful Thinking, has recently been validated.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    Title/Link: Thin Red Lines
    Category: Dark/ Angsty
    Rating: 6th-7th years
    Warnings: Abuse, Character Death, Non-Consensual Sex, Sexual Situations, Slash, Strong Profanity, Substance Abuse, Suicide, Violence
    Summary:
    It is the 1970s. Andromeda Black, Vivien LaMotte and Titus Rookwood are now members of the adult Wizarding world. They should be young, free and happy.

But...

Titus is gay and trying to hide it from all but Vivien. She is slowly paying for the mistakes of her parents when she makes the mistake of falling for the attached Augustus Rookwood. Andromeda's only problem is that her job involves working with the Mudblood Ted Tonks.

Within a year of leaving Hogwarts they find themselves in relationships which they all, for different reasons, feel compelled to hide. As the disappearances and sporadic violence increases, they face the growing realisation that the side they choose will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Quotation from an unspecified chapter:

I’m scared of what you might say.” I frowned. “Meda, I––” he was speaking so hesitantly, stopping and starting, repeating that phrase for a minute, before suddenly saying in a rush of words, “Oh, what the hell,” and pulling a small box from his pocket and opening it.

Inside was a gold ring with a single diamond. The sun had emerged from behind the clouds moments before and the light caught inside the jewel. If he’d waited five minutes more the sunlight would have gone.

“Andromeda Black, will you marry me?” I didn’t know what to think.
    Chapter 25 just validated!
    Banner by Minna.

Warnings: Abuse, Character Death, DH Spoilers, Strong Profanity, Suicide, Violence
    Summary: “Times like these, dark times, it can bring people together. They can tear them apart…” Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, movie trailer

In the midst of the war, two completely different people are brought together and torn apart in equal measure as they battle their way through their final year at Hogwarts. Tortures, abductions and murders are committed right under the Minister for Magic’s nose, secrets are discovered and friendships form while others are shattered to pieces. And, stuck in the middle of all of this, James Potter and Lily Evans realise that, when your world is in uproar, no matter how many secrets you have, no matter what hexes you can do, no matter how popular you are, one fact remains crystal clear: in a war, you’re going to have to take a side…

Notes: As usual, I'm on bended knees for reviews. Pretty please?

Excerpt:

“Hey, Alice, Davina, you'll never guess who Lily asked out yesterday!”

“Who?” asked Davina interestedly.

“Guess!” Mary sang back. Lily could tell that Mary was enjoying it far more than Lily was.

“Who?” Alice echoed Davina. “Was it Scott Manslow?”

“Nope,” said Mary, sniggering. “Although, now that you mention it, Scott did ask Lily the other day. She just said no.”

“But he’s the best-looking boy in the whole school!” Davina exclaimed disbelievingly. “How could you say no to him?”

“So who was it, Lily?” Alice persisted. “Snape?”

“Are you joking?” Mary said immediately before Lily could answer. “There's no way she’d ask him to—”

“It was James,” Lily interrupted her friend, before she went too far. “I asked James to Hogsmeade.”

Oops. I think I forgot to do this a couple of times. Here's the link to my latest chapter, which got validated a few days ago. Hopefully I'll remember for the next one

Summary: “Times like these, dark times, it can bring people together. They can tear them apart…” Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, movie trailer

Notes: As usual, I'm on bended knees for reviews. Pretty please?

Link to Chapter 10: Cinderella

Extract:

Sirius turned to Lily. “Of course you may try on the slipper,” he told her kindly, handing her the shoe. “Here you go.”

With trembling fingers (which simply added to Cinderella’s anxious persona) Lily slipped on the shoe, which, of course, fitted her perfectly. “And I've got the other one! It fits, it fits!” she said triumphantly, withdrawing the other slipper and slipping it on.

“Oh no it doesn’t!” shouted Professor Sprout.

“Oh yes it does!” the audience yelled back. They had really got into it now, without the need of the cues.

“OH NO IT DOESN’T!” Mafalda and Pramjeet screamed.

“OH YES IT DOES!” roared the students.

“Oh yes it does,” Sirius echoed. He got down on one knee, amidst squeals and wolf-whistles, and asked, “Cinderella, will you marry me, and become Mrs Sirius Lee Charming?”

Lily turned to the audience, clapping her hand over her mouth. She masked her nervousness by continuing the show. “Oh, I don't know what to say!” she exclaimed in a loud whisper. “What should I say?”

“Say yes!” said one of the first-years.

She cupped her hand over her ear. “I can’t hear you! Should I say yes or no?”

“Say yes!” said the audience together.

Lily looked down at Sirius, and for the first time ever, she registered a hint of uneasiness in his eyes.

The show must go on, Lily told herself.

“Yes!” she said finally. Sirius stood up again, and, before she could stop him, he had swung Lily around and kissed her full on the mouth.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    Title/Link: To Calm The Conscience
    Category: Post-Hogwarts
    Rating: 3rd-5th
    Warnings:Character Death, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Substance Abuse, Violence
    Summary:

Draco Malfoy and his Squib sister, who was adopted and raised by Muggles, visit each other. The first visit takes place on 11th September 2001, the second on February 15th 2003 (day of worldwide anti-Iraq war protests), the third in March 2006, and the fourth December 2006, the day of Scorpius Malfoy’s christening.

And although it may be arrogant and wrong, sometimes the conscience is calmed in the most unexpected of places.

This is a sort-of-sequel to my chaptered story Bryter Later. It contains no spoilers for Bryter Later and the basic premise of that story is summarised within this, so you don’t have to have read it to read (and hopefully enjoy) this story.

The character death and violence warnings are just because these things are often mentioned- they are not explicit within the story. The substance abuse warning extends only to alcohol.
    Third chapter just validated and fourth (and final) one in the queue.
    Banner by Minna.