Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would rich Pureblood homeschooling be like?

Lovemagic
    I see what you guys are saying. So a rich Pureblood would be taught manners and such, and that's what the question originally asks. Because you've got...I suppose you can say lower upper class, middle upper class, and upper upper class, and those are the levels of society. Lower upper class, we know for a fact the the Weasleys will be there. Then you've got the middle upper class, which encompasses a wider range of Pureblood familes, and then the select few upper upper class families like the Blacks, Lestranges, Malfoys, Rosiers....And they learn how to behave according to their status.

...I forgot what I was going to say, but I wanted to point this out:

there's an essay on the Lexicon that puts Neville in the same social class as Ron. The only two incredibly wealthy students in Harry's year are Draco Malfoy and Justin Finch-Fletchley.
    I've not read this essay, but I've always thought that Neville would be in the middle upper class, his family being fairly wealthy. One reason is that when I read in PS/SS Neville's story about being dropped from a balcony by his great uncle, I saw that he had a large family. The other is reading about Neville's grandmother's attire. She wears such frivolous clothing and I'm quite sure that the material is all real. I can't imagine an average person wearing something like that. Also, Neville's Gran has this air of authority and haughtiness, but perhaps its simply her character. How much is a remembrall, also? It must be a bit expensive, as it's got a fancy bit of magic in it.

And though Ernie does not lord it over other students, I think he had a bit of pomp.

Just throwing that out there.
    Hayden

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Hmm. It depends on what you're defining your classes as. As the general system goes, Ron would actually be lower class because his family hasn't got much money. But if you're basing your system on blood, with the Purebloods making up the upper class, then I guess he'd be up there. But the Weasley's are blood traitors, so would they even be classed as upper class because of their blood?

Having a large family doesn't make you rich, look at the Weasleys! The reasons that essay gives for placing Neville in the lower class with Ron are where they think he lives (somewhere on the Yorkshire/Lancashire boarder) is generally a poorer area, and the fact that he goes to Blackpool on holiday. Ernie Macmillian is pompous yes, but I always got the impression that was a personal trait, not something that has been 'bred' into him, if you like. He only once talks about his blood, and even then it's not in a way that's bragging. He thinks Harry is the heir and wants to save his skin a little.

So a rich Pureblood would be taught manners and such, and that's what the question originally asks.
    I don't think there'd be a specific sit-down lesson on them. Rather, it'd be something that's learned in every day life, just like you teach a child manners. You never sit them down and go 'right, this is how you behave at the table, and this is how you greet an adult' etc etc. Rather, they're told off for doing something wrong ('don't chew with your mouth open' and 'elbows off the table' etc etc), and I think this is how ettiquette would be taught.

Things like cooking they might be taught, but the really rich ones might have house-elves, so that would sort of defeat the point, wouldn't it? Learning to read and write would be the main thing, and some sort of maths and perhaps literacy as well since they have to write a lot of essays at school. Who would do the teaching? Would they hire a tutor, or do it themselves? I can see both happening.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!