Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British XIV

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Um for children, Coco-Pops, Rice Krispies or Frosties.

For adults, Special K, Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Cornflakes.

If you google Kellogs, then you should be able to track down the British versions of cereals. We tend not to have the really highly coloured and extra sugary ones that are in the States. (Or perhaps I'm just very mean and don't buy them.)

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick View Post
    Um for children, Coco-Pops, Rice Krispies or Frosties.

For adults, Special K, Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Cornflakes.

If you google Kellogs, then you should be able to track down the British versions of cereals. We tend not to have the really highly coloured and extra sugary ones that are in the States. (Or perhaps I'm just very mean and don't buy them.)

~Carole~
    Okay, thanks a lot, Carole.
    Kindly disregard old posts by me. I was an irritating kid who didn't understand grammar.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    This is awfully specific but... does anyone know some slang for gay people that Dumbledore would have known in his youth/teenage hood? Or should I make up some wizarding slang?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Uhm well, I'm not that old. I would suggest you look at cockney rhyming slang (iron for iron hoof being one) or stick to something like 'queer'.

Gay as a term for homosexual men didn't really come into common usage until much later, but 'gay' as a term for immorality was coined by Chaucer. A 'gay house' was a euphemism for a brothel.

You might be best inventing something.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Another (hopefully) quick question - do British people use pinewood for coffins? I was thinking of using the term "pinewood box" in lieu of coffin (feels more morbid and appropriate to the character's mood) but is that term very American/slightly Old Western?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    If you're talking about the same era, then no. Although these days coffins are generally more eco-friendly, I don't think pinewood would be used. Oak is more likely.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Clone Club Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Seeking Keys
    I have two questions, both of which are quite stupid. (seriously, feel free to laugh at me).

Firstly, in Britain, is the meal order breakfast-lunch-dinner or breakfast-dinner-supper? (Sorry, but I have to know.)

Second, do you really have tea (like on a daily basis)? Is it for special occasions only? What would you eat at teatime?

Thanks!

Lily xxx
    Lily Writes ♥ alisonhendrxes blogs ♥ @lilysinsistence tweets

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    Lily-it's breakfast, lunch, dinner. Except Christmas dinner, which is usually served between 3 and 4ish (I think/ that's how most families I know do it). Supper is like a small meal you have in the evenings, if you had a big lunch, say.

Most brits drink tea or coffee on a daily basis. However afternoon tea is usually for special occasions/ a treat and is normally comprised of either crumpets, jam and tea, or scones, jam, cream and tea.
    Banner by Minna.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Um, well, I sort of disagree here, because people call things by different names depending on background and regionality.

Breakfast is a given. Then lunch (probably) then it can be either dinner, supper or tea.

On the whole, I tend to think of 'dinner' as the main meal of the day. My kids will have a school dinner (at midday) unless they're taking in sandwiches in which case it's 'packed lunch.'

I rarely call it supper - I think that's quite oldfashioned - but I cook 'tea' for my kids. Tea that Alex describes is 'high tea' at 4pm (ish). In reality the only people that have 'high tea' live at Downton Abbey.

Sorry no definitive answer for you. I'd check the books and see what Harry and the others eat. I don;t think you can say anything is wrong, exactly, as long as you keep breakfast where it is and don't have lunch at 8pm.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Please explain tea to me.

Not the meal, though that's a bit baffling too.

When I think of tea, I think of my wonderful assortment of loose-leaf glory in tins in my desk drawer that my co-workers make fun of me for (until they have a sore throat and I say, "I've got a tea for that!"). I've got oolong, assam, green, white, red, herbal. I have teas that flower in water and teas that you can steep all day and teas you want to take out of the water after three minutes. I have teas you want to add sugar to and teas you should leave virginal. I have spicy teas, fruity teas, bitter teas, sweet teas, smoky teas, minty teas. I love tea. (I've also typed the word "teas" enough times for me to think it is misspelled.)

However, I get the distinct feeling that when you folks say "tea" you mean something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT. I just don't know how different.

Please explain tea to me. Explain as though you would to a child. A very thick child.

banner by the ever wonderful Nadia
    - AcaciaCarter writes - @AcaciaCarter tweets - AcaciaCarter drabbles - AcaciaCarter duels