Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Being British XIV

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Okay, quick question: Do Londoners read comic books (with Superheroes), or is that just an American thing? If they do, what kinds are there?

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Even though I'm not British, I can answer your question.

Yes. They do. Even Ron reads comics. Marvel the mad muggle.

Nidhi
    Last edited by GinnyPotter; 07-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    [
    Amazing Avvie by Nadia and Beautiful Banner by BP!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    We do have comics (not just Londoners--others as well) --we get the American ones as well as things like The Beano and The Dandy which are probably aimed at people a few years younger than your average superhero comic. And of course Ron has comics, as Nidhi pointed out

A bit more intellectually upmarket are graphic novels--I do not know that many except for Alan Moore, the Hellboy ones, and Neil Gaiman's Sandman but yes, we do have them.
    Banner by Minna.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I used to read 2000AD comics. They featured Judge Dredd, and something called Jonny Alpah who was some sort of mutant super hero.

I think they're still around.

~Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    2000AD is still around, and Dredd, who must be about 60 now, is also going strong in his own comic, other than that "adult" UK produced comics are few and far between, we export most of out talented writers and artists.

Alan Moore now seems to simply rehash and bowdlerise old heroes in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. But there are still some decent writers out there. If a Londoner reads a superhero comic,it will be an american import, our "heroes" tend to be grubby and flawed individuals, although the influence of UK writers seems to have pushed a lot of US comics in that direction.

You have Superman and Spiderman, we had "V" the terrorist as a hero and still have Dredd, who casualy executes criminals.

-N-.

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Thanks sooooo much! You guys have no idea how much this helped!

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Snape Hates Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Aida
    I'm looking for a school with a good piano program. Also one that isn't so gated and far away from everything that someone wandering by on the street wouldn't be able to hear anything... I think. Do most conservatories have sound proof practice rooms these days? Do conservatories have student housing?
    I don't think that any one conservatoire is known particularly for its piano tutors. However, I am not looking to study piano, so I can't be entirely sure. I know that the Royal College of Music boasts about having a lot of Steinways, but I can't tell you a lot more than that. I would choose the one that looks to be in the best location for you. Unfortunately, I can't really help you there either, as I don't know London well enough.

I don't think that practice rooms are generally sound-proofed, and if they are, then an open window could let someone listen in from outside. I was walking past the Royal Welsh College the other day and I could hear an unknown flautist practising. I imagine that similar things could happen in most conservatoires, but Google maps would be useful here, I suppose.

With student housing, I think that first-year students are generally guaranteed a place in the halls of residence, but that after the first year, most students find their own flat, usually sharing with a few friends from their course. It is possible to stay in the halls for your whole degree, but it isn't the done thing. I think that this applies for most unis, and not just conservatoires, but I can't be sure, seeing as I'm still in sixth-form.

Oh, and incidentally, a BMus (music degree) lasts four years over here, whereas most degrees last three (except in Scotland and for medicine). I don't know if that's relevant...

If you want to do more research yourself, the CUKAS website (through which you apply to most conservatoires) will have links the conservatoire's own websites. I could PM you links if you like.

~Sophie
    Avvie by majestic_ginny/Nadia. Banner by clabbert2102/Bella. Thank you both!

I write, I drabble, duel, beta and draw,
    I am a Hufflepuff to the core!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Hello!

I just need to know-- which are the wettest months in London?

Thanks in advance!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    At the moment it's July *scowls*

*sigh*

Poojah, the wettest months 'officially' in London are October/November. Dec-Feb are the coldest and have most chance of snow, which could lead to flooding.

But we have rain all the time. I can't recall a Wimbledon tournament (late June/ early July) which hasn't been disrupted by rain.

*growls and moans at weather outside and starts to build ark"

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    I just need to know-- which are the wettest months in London?
    I'd have to say all of them.

Haha, but on a serious note, no matter what time of year it is, it always rains in England. Always! We've just had the wettest summer on record, which was fun...

If you had to generalise though, I'd agree with Carole and say Autumn time, so October - December really.

Fenella x

Thanks to majestic_ginny/Nadia for my beautiful banner & avvie!
    'There's the silver lining I've been looking for...'