Closed Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part 22

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    Is there a way for me to include runes in a chapter of a story? My first thought was to just use odd characters, but it looks... odd.

My next thought was to use links to images of the runes, but while I've seen this done for announcements, and within story notes, I have no idea if I'm even allowed to place a link to an image within a chapter of a story or within the chapter notes.

Also, if using links to images isn't permitted, do you have any suggestions for how to add runes into a chapter (I'm guessing I'm not the first person to want to do somehting like this, but can't recall ever seeing an example of one before.)

Thanks,
    Hypatia
    Photobucket

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    Is there a way for me to include runes in a chapter of a story? My first thought was to just use odd characters, but it looks... odd.

My next thought was to use links to images of the runes, but while I've seen this done for announcements, and within story notes, I have no idea if I'm even allowed to place a link to an image within a chapter of a story or within the chapter notes.

Also, if using links to images isn't permitted, do you have any suggestions for how to add runes into a chapter (I'm guessing I'm not the first person to want to do somehting like this, but can't recall ever seeing an example of one before.)

Thanks,
    Hypatia
    Are these drawn images or actual characters? If they are drawn, then you are always free to start an art thread in Dean's Corner and post your images there (links for larger images or up to five smaller images [signature size and smaller)] and link from that to your chapter notes. Many authors have done this in order to include chapter art for their fics. If they are actual typed characters, you can include them in your chapter, but be advised that the archives are being a bit buggy as of late with special characters. The image route might prove to be the most reliable.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    Actually the images I had in mind were created using Photoshop, so I'm not sure if they'd be appropriate for Dean's corner (I definitely didn't draw them). The runes I wanted to use are from the same alphabet Hermione mentions for O.W.L.S. (elder futhark) and aren't characters that I can use in html (at least, I don't know of a way to).

I could PM the Photobucket links of the images to you if that would help identify how I should proceed.

Thanks,
    Hypatia
    Photobucket

4. 11-13-2011, 10:59 PM
    Reason
    Contacted through PM

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    I was wondering- you know how part of the recent coding problems were the replacement of dashes/ sometimes speech marks/ apostrophes in stories with a weird question mark? Will those- go away, or has it now become part of the coding now, so if we want to remove them we need to do so manually? I hope that makes sense- I just feel it might be putting people off from reading the stories, and definitely with my WIPs I'd be willing to go through the chapters manually, if there was no coding way of reversing this process.

Alex
    Banner by Minna.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

Hi. I've locked myself out of my account again. I tried to remember it; I can't spot the e-mail to change it either. There is no spam folder on my e-mail account. This is the regular archivws account, too. Any suggestions?

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Hello, Modlies .

Whenever I log into the forums nowadays, the welcome message reads "Thank you for logging in, $bbuserinfo[username]", or else it says, "Invalid URL: http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/forums/". Moreover, when I go into my inbox, all the names of the senders are replaced by "Array". None of these are causing major problems, but I just thought I'd let you guys know

Thanks,
    Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Alex: Unfortunately we're dealing with server space issues at the moment which are largely outside of our control. We are working with mugglenet to try and improve the situation but unfortunately we can't say when the issues on the archives will be fixed. We really are sorry about the inconvenience this is causing.

Kuri: I have reset your password for you - I will send you a PM.

Nadia: Thanks for letting us know - your issues have been passed on and added to the list of things to fix.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    Hi. I'm having password problems with the archives. A few weeks ago I tried to log in and got told the password I thought was right didn't match the one in the database so I requested a new one. The email with the new password turned up a week later, but when I tried that password I still got told it didn't match. I tried again to get a new password but that has never turned up in my email account, not even in the spam.

I didn't mind waiting since I had exams, but they're over now and I would very much like to be able to log in again, please.

Thank you mods!

Bec

Amazing banner by the talented Minna!

10. 11-30-2011, 03:46 PM
    Reason
    Contacted directly and sorted out. :)

Siriusblue

Can Someone Help?

Here's a strange issue. My profile says that I am twenty, and I didn't know it until after I was sorted and posted a few times. I am really 14. I would just start a new profile, but I don't want to go through the sorting process and lose my rank. What can I do?

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    The birthdate in your profile was previously set to July 8, 1990, so that's why it thought you were twenty. I've changed your birth year to 1997. Let me know if your birthdate isn't right, though. I can fix that if necessary.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Closed Thread