Closed Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part 22

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Sorry for missing your post the first time round - I've reset your password and sent you a PM

2. 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM
    Reason
    Problem resolved

True American Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Seeking Keys
    Hi =)

Remember how a couple months ago we had issues w/ trying to read higher-rated stories? And how that got fixed?

Well...not so much. A couple minutes ago I was trying to read Gmariam's Somewhere Only We Know and I was thrown into the circle of sexual situations and profanity. I thought it might just be that fic and so went to test read one of my own fics, Droobles Blowing Gum. The same thing happened. This is kind of weird because just a couple hours earlier I read Equinox Chick's Monochrome and there were no issues.

EDIT: Well, it seems that Monochrome isn't rated Professors. But going off of what Abi said, these problems do seem to be new.

It might be just me/my computer, or it could be something else. I thought I'd let you wonderful mods know.

Lily xxx
    Last edited by Padfoot11333; 12-24-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Lily WritesLily BlogsLily Listens

banner by theopaleye | avi by me

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Just to add to Lily's query: Monochrome, although a Professors rated fic, is rated as 3rd-5th with a strong warning because of this issue. This is why Lily was able to read Monochrome and not the other stories.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

5. 12-24-2011, 07:00 PM
    Reason
    Repeat question

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    We are aware of this issue and it has been put on the list of noisome Nargles. Any story that generates a popup warning (6th-7th Years and Professors) will be temporarily unreadable. The only way for these stories to be accessible is for the authors to change the ratings to 3rd-5th Years and post the proper warning/ratings in the summary instead. Other than that, it's unfortunately not something that can be bypassed by users. :/

EDIT: OH! I was reminded by the wonderful Gina/Gmariam that there IS a way around the looping warnings. Add the following on the end of the url address, and it should go through the correct way:

For 6th-7th Years: &warning=5

For Professors: &warning=3
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor; 12-25-2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

7. 12-29-2011, 01:58 PM
    Reason
    Taken care of.

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    Hello! I hope this question hasn't already been asked, but the search function isn't working for me at the moment.

I'm trying to submit a story, but I'm having formatting problems. My ending html tags for italics keep getting removed, causing the entire story to be italicized. I try to go back and re-insert them, but they still get cut off.

I'm also having the same problem that others have mentioned with the dashes.. They appear as two question mark icons and a quotation mark. I was able to get around this by using "&emdash;" in their place, but if I preview the story more than once, that stops working.

Thank you!

EDIT: Thank you so much! I was unaware of that function. And yes, the italics turned out to be an error on my part.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    PoeticallyIrritating,

We are aware of the search function not working, and it's being worked on. We're also aware of the nasty little question mark box. It appears when the archive server runs into a special character that it doesn't recognise. Right now, most of these are characters that MS Word creates with auto-formatting, such as 'curly' quotation marks/apostrophes, em-dashes (—), en-dashes (–), and letters with accent marks. The problem with the quotes only happens with certain fonts, so if it's not happening to you, then keep using the font you are. The dash problem is unavoidable if you use HTML, so you will have to, after you paste your text into the submission page, manually substitute all em-dashes and en-dashes with regular hyphens. Use two subsequent hyphens in lieu of an em-dash, and that seems to work well and look good and mostly the same.

Of course, the easiest way to avoid all of this is, if you use Firefox or Internet Explorer (doesn't work with Safari or Chrome), is to use the TinyMCE editor, which you can turn on via the Edit Preferences page under Account Info. It's basically a rich text function, and it copies all of your formatting straight from Word — no tags required. If a word is in italics in Word, then it will appear thus in TinyMCE. It also allows you to use em-dashes and doesn't give one hoot about how curly your quotation marks are, hehe. It's a bit different to get used to, but it's currently the only fully functional way to avoid the question mark thingies.

Not sure what to tell you about the italics coding. We've not seen any problem with those, so perhaps you could double/triple check that you don't have a stray one in there somewhere.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

10. 01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
    Reason
    taken care of

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    I'm having a spot of trouble with my account. Certain threads (the beta one, for example) are telling me that I'm missing a security token or something like that, and others just don't show up at all, I'm just given a white page. Is this my account, or my computer, or just a site thing/rule I don't know about? I've been able to access the beta thread just fine before ...
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if there is any word on the archive glitch that keeps 6th-7th year stories from being read because the warning just keeps looping you back to the summary page? It seems to come and go, and some of us have lowered the warning with an author's note, but it's sort of disheartening to think of how many stories are not being read because readers just can't get to them and give up. I only changed one of my stories, and although I don't have many 6th-7th year stories, it would be nice if they were consistently accessible for readers.
    Also, any word on board nargles like Array and the security tokens? I long for the day when I can get on the boards without that screen telling me I'm missing security tokens.
    Thanks!
    ~Gina

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls
    Hey,

Just wondering if there's any problems with the submission queue as of late. I submitted over a week ago and still haven't heard back; any way of checking that my entry submitted properly? If it helps, it's a chapter of 'Saving Dominique' in the Next-Generation category.

Jordy

Back from a ridiculously long hiatus.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Sorry to be a pain, but I had a message from a reader saying she was having trouble accessing my story. I assumed it was because of the ratings issue so went to lower the rating, only to discover it was already a 3rd - 5th.

The story is Apparently Asleep and she'd read chapter 2 but couln;t get to chapter 3. The user is 19, so I think she's old enough ...

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Closed Thread