Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part 22

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    That page usually means the story has been deleted/no longer exists but I can still see it so I'm at a bit of a loss. I will pass on your issue to the tech people. Which chapter were you trying to view? Can you see the contents page but not the chapter, or is the whole thing just missing? And if you follow the link from her author page rather than the direct link to the story, does it make any difference?

I've just noticed the story is missing first chapter which could partially explain the reason it is acting strangely.

EDIT: Ok, the missing first chapter is intentional, and should be back again in a couple of days. Hopefully once the new first chapter has been validated you'll be able to see it, but if not we'll look into it further.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Hermione, you're a girl!
    I *believe* that story changed titles . . . I may be wrong but it may explain things.

I'll take a look and find out if I am mistaken.

~Nicole

Edit: Oh, never mind. If Hannah can see it then I guess you're just part of a special situation. ;-)
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

3. 04-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    I e-mailed a mod about this a few days ago, but thought I'd post here as well just in case there are different opinions on it.

I've a chaptered story, completed and posted on archives, about Draco having a Squib sister who was raised a Muggle. I've just written a sort-of-sequel to it where Draco and her meet at either important points in their lives, or in world events. One of the dates is 9/11 and the other just after the anti-Iraq war march in London in 2003.

I've stated this in the summary, so everyone reading it knows what it's about, but I just want a double check that it would okay to post something like this on archives.

Also the sister is very political, and her politics are important for the chapter on the anti-Iraq war march. I'll say in the author's notes that this is very much her opinion, and what she is saying/ how she explains events is not necessarily objective. She also mentions the Muggle Prime Minister and the President and whilst it's obvious who they are, they are not mentioned by name- is that all right?

SOrry to bother you again- Alex
    Banner by Minna.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Just a note regarding the avatars. We realise they've now all vanished, but I wanted to reassure everyone that we're working on something big that will hopefully solve all the bugs we may be experiencing at the moment. You'll hear more in the next few weeks.

Alex: There's a fine line when it comes to using RL people/events in fics. You can refer to them by position as you describe here and you can make mention of events that were real, and have your characters discuss these events. You can't however, include real people as actual characters beyond this reference.

The author's note is definitely a good idea in this case. What you've planned sounds fine, but thanks for checking

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

6. 04-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Colores
    Emma - it's just a time glitch. Those have been happening on our boards for awhile now. We're trying to get them fixed...

hermione_granger4life
    I have a question about the Beta Board. I posted requesting a beta and got an odd response kind of. The reply to my original thread post ended up being placed above my original post, and the time was at least an hour before I had even posted up the topic. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or what, I just thought it was kind of odd that someone could respond to my thread before I had even posted it. Thanks,

**Emma

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    This chapter just got validated, so I've deleted the question about the chapter and just left the question about category jumping.

I e-mailed a mod about this but she said she had no experience of this. I'm considering moving this story to another category, but someone I beta for was rejected for category jumping. Would it be all right to change the category?

Alex
    Banner by Minna.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Category jumping when there's a legitimate reason is absolutely fine, if you decide there's a better place for your fic. It's usually only an issue when people are repeatedly having their stories rejected and continuously move them to different categories in the hope of getting a mod who is more likely to validate it. It would be unusual for a story to get rejected just for category jumping but as I don't know the specific details, I can't really say.

thegirllikeme
    I sent an email about this as well (in fact, I sent two), but I haven't had any response so I figured I'd ask here.

I haven't been receiving my rejection letters for Mattresses in the Hallway that I've been trying to submit to the Humour category. I know it is being rejected since it has been removed from my Manage Stories. As I said, I tried sending an email like it says to on the Archives, but as I said, I never got any response. I've had betas look it up and down and so I would really like to know why it keeps getting rejected so I can fix it.

Thank you much.
    Chante'

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Chante',

I checked to see who rejected your chapter. It was thechocolatefrog. Send a PM to Hannah and ask her why. Explain you didn't get a rejection letter. It was rejected on 4/22.

Terri
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Closed Thread