Thread: Lord Voldemort/He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Hybrid View

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?

Lord Voldemort/He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Do you think that after the Second War that people would continue calling him, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named or not?

If they start calling him Lord Voldemort, then when would that happen? Who would hold on to the old convention, and who would call him Lord Voldemort?

Would this happen in print sooner or later than it would linguistically?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I think that people who were in the Order and the DA would probably change over the fastest. I think it might take awhile for others, as they would want to make sure that the threat is for sure over. I think that by the time the next-gen kids are in Hogwarts, he would be refered to as Voldemort in any book, etc.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

PoeticallyIrritating
    I think that, considering the massive stigma associated with the name, and the actual magical Taboo placed on it in the seventh book, it's unlikely that "Voldemort" would come into common usage (at least at first.) The Order and others who fought--those least afraid of him--would likely be more comfortable using his name, while the rest of the population would have such negative associations with the name that they might refrain from using it for a very long time. (I've always liked the idea of it becoming a Wizarding curse word.)

On the other hand, the name "Voldemort" could go out of usage entirely, and, once his background became well-known, he could simply be known as Tom Riddle. His chosen name would surely be referred to in history books and such, but it might not be the common way to talk about him.

If the name did come back, it's definitely likely that it would return to print more quickly, at least for historical/nonfiction books that aren't highly publicized. Publications like newspapers, on the other hand, would be much more sensitive to what the public thinks about the matter, so as not to offend or cause panic.

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien
    Do you think that after the Second War that people would continue calling him, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named or not?

If they start calling him Lord Voldemort, then when would that happen? Who would hold on to the old convention, and who would call him Lord Voldemort?
    I can see it as the sort of thing that will take a while to die out, maybe one or two generations.

I think Harry would advocate the use of Tom Riddle, particularly in the months following the battle as it would be a sign to the Wizarding World that the time of fear was behind them. But I can imagine a lot of the older generations (Circa Mrs Weasely's age? and earlier) being reluctant to use his name, except for those who were in The Order and a maybe some others who were either involved in the battle, or unaffected by it (aka, overseas and missed the whole thing). When you have spent 17+ years of your life being terrified of a name, it isn't something you can just get over. For a large number of them, I can see even Voldemort being a stretch. The finality of seeing Voldemort dead on the floor will have made the use of his name easier in some respects, as it is far more final than the news of the Potter’s house being destroyed and Voldemort gone with only baby Harry left alive. The ability to see the truth with their own eyes will have helped to remove the stigma from the name for some people, but it may not be enough to remove the fear completely.

Remember that even 13 years after Voldemort’s downfall, Harry and Dumbledore were the only two people using his name, even though most of the wizarding world thought him gone. Also the only reason Harry felt comfortable using it through his first year was because he didn’t feel any fear/didn’t have any horrible memories associated to the name, just a flash of green light and a high pitched laugh. This makes me think that the Next-Gen kids (by which I mean the prominent character’s kids, not the whole generation) will have no problem with the name as they have had no reason to fear it, and will be raised in a family where its use is encouraged.

For the rest of the “next” generation, I think that one thing will be invaluable in removing the stigma from the name, and that is attending Hogwarts, and therefore being out of their parent’s influence. If parents aren’t using the name, then kids won’t either, but take them away from their parent’s influence and you can change that behaviour. If you could teach the incoming first years to use Voldemort (Just had a mental image of a first year DADA class being made to chant his name as “Fear of a name, increases fear of the thing itself.”), then the cycle of parents not using it, therefore kids not using it, would be broken and the outgoing 7th years would feel that they can use it freely. When they have kids, the newer generation would be raised by parents who have no fear of the name and eventually everyone would be calling him Voldemort (or if you were to teach Tom Riddle, then Tom Riddle). Also remember that children are easily swayed by their peers. Being in an environment where everyone you know is using the name will make it easier for you to use it, if only so you aren’t teased for being scared of a long dead man.

Another thing that I think will help is Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes (was tempted to say the Weasley twins. RIP Fred). They already have Edible Dark Marks and U-NO-POO.
    I can see a future full of Voldemort themed candies (Voldy-nose: are your friends always nosing into your private business? Teach them a lesson and remove their annoying protuberance with Voldy-nose, the latest in nose removing technology. Um… that was bad lol) and jokes pouring out the doors onto Diagon Alley and warming the hearts of children everywhere.
    I can see a day where on Halloween, a figure dressed as Voldemort would be a common sight in most wizarding towns, and calling “Nice costume Mister” wouldn’t nearly end in death.
    I see… myself not imitating Trelawney anymore….

As for literature, I agree with PoeticallyIrritating.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyIrritating
    If the name did come back, it's definitely likely that it would return to print more quickly, at least for historical/nonfiction books that aren't highly publicized. Publications like newspapers, on the other hand, would be much more sensitive to what the public thinks about the matter, so as not to offend or cause panic.
    The name Voldemort would be excluded from print as much as possible by the Media (however I can imagine Harry losing his temper and insisting that he be referred to as Tom Riddle, at least in any interviews with him). In books, especially school texts, I think the changeover would be fairly quick, especially if the schools were teaching with him as Voldemort.

One thing I’d like to add is that the name Tom Riddle hasn’t actually got as much of a stigma attached to it as Lord Voldemort does. Of all the people in the room at the final battle, only a handful would have known that Voldemort has once been called Tom. This title could actually be the easier of the two for people to use as they have no fear of it.

Hope that helps
    Jess
    Banner photographed by me and edited by xBeccaxBlackx
    It was worth the chocolate : )

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"
    Gerard Way

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Hmm...

well I'm planning to use it in an introduction to an academic type text. I'm guessing the publication date is a good five to ten years after the Battle.

I was also considering having Cho and her husband be the authors, if that changes anything.

I almost want to use Lord Voldemort, especially since Cho fought in the battle, but I don't know if that's too outrageous less than a decade after the Battle.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien
    I almost want to use Lord Voldemort, especially since Cho fought in the battle, but I don't know if that's too outrageous less than a decade after the Battle.

I think you could get away with Voldemort, perhaps dropping the Lord. It's hard to imagine them continuing to call him Lord after he was defeated.
    Seriously cool banner by Julia