Thread: Magic not working?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!

Magic not working?

I was just wondering - the Imperius Curse, one of the Darkest curses possible, can be fought, not by everyone, but by some people. So do you think that there are other spells/ potions that can also be "fought"? For example potions which don't so much do something to someone, but affect the way they behave. For example say Amortentia. If someone gave someone else who absolutely despised them Amortentia would the residual hatred be enough for the potion not to work?

Can anyone think of other examples where spells/ potions may not work?

Thank you
    Alex x
    Banner by Minna.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    I'd think mind power is the strongest weapon anybody has. I think while unwillingly under the influence of a spell or a potion that's making a wizard do something, their mind would be in a state of question/doubt/surprise/hesitation regarding the actions they seem to be doing unexplained.

They will be complient if the spell or potion is strong enough. But I think there will be times when their personality will question what they are doing and so hesitate in the act. I'm taking the inspiration for this from Harry's mindset as he's throwing off Crouch Jnr's Imperius. Of course the wizard should be a strong minded one.

In case of the Amortentia, the one under the influence could probably be made to like someone they usually detest (sorry, that's what you asked, right?) but I think the idea is that the smells for instance that define that person's love will not change. So they will essentially be in a forced realm. If the potion maker is average at his skill and the subject's hatred is very strong, I suppose it can almost be thrown off - work at some moments and just totally betray at other times, perhaps even wear off before its expected time limit? If the victim does accomplish this, we might have the other person scrambling to feed them again.

I can think of healing potions as other example. In a situation where maybe the victim tried to commit suicide or were in an accident while really upset over something, situations that do happen in RL, I think the Healers would be trying with the best potions available and yet it's possible they don't heal because the patient may not have the will to live or to say that he'll have given up hope.

I don't think though such is possible with the common hexes because with them you either dodge it, shield yourself or you don't. Occlumency and Imperius are the sort of spells which you can probably undo in this sense.

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by welshdevondragon
    I was just wondering - the Imperius Curse, one of the Darkest curses possible, can be fought, not by everyone, but by some people. So do you think that there are other spells/ potions that can also be "fought"? For example potions which don't so much do something to someone, but affect the way they behave. For example say Amortentia. If someone gave someone else who absolutely despised them Amortentia would the residual hatred be enough for the potion not to work?

Can anyone think of other examples where spells/ potions may not work?

Thank you
    Alex x
    I think there are a few factors that go into the relative power of Imperius.

1. The relative power of the spellcaster.

2. The relative will of the victim.

3. To what extent the victim is caught off-guard.

I just don't think it's very plausible for even a very strong willed person to fight off the Imperius Curse if they're asleep. How the spellcaster gets into their bedroom is another question, but I don't think an unconscious mind could fight off the Imperius Curse. I don't know whether Imperius could be cast on an unconscious person either, but for argument's sake, let's say it can.

As for Amortentia, there are two canon examples of Amortentia Potion being used. First by Merope Gaunt on Tom Riddle senior - I don't think he knew of her before she used the potion (I could be wrong), but he still fell in love with her instantly.

Second, Romilda Vane accidentally getting Ron. He's instantly infatuated and even forgets that he hasn't met her (at least according to the movie dialogue, it's been awhile since I reread HBP).

Ron's personality shift seems absolutely outrageous and instant. If someone were given Amortentia from someone they absolutely despised - they might simply not remember. It's possible that the cognitive dissonance of say, Hermoine being given Amortentia by Draco, might make her realize something is wrong... but it might not. e.g. "Draco is so cute. But he calls me a Mudblood all the time! But he's so attractive. Why am I thinking this all of a sudden? Something's wrong." And that cognitive dissonance might allow her to realize that she's been given Amortentia and seek a bezoar.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    First of all, we don't know that it was Amortentia being used in either of those instances. Amortentia is the most powerful love potion, it's not the only one. I'm personally inclined to think that the potion in the chocolates Romilda gave Harry wasn't Amortentia, because the effects we see on Ron are a strengthened form, and I don't think Fred and George (presumably where she got the potion in the first place) would be silly enough to sell the worlds strongest form. Imagine that in the hands of teenagers! Whether Merope Gaunt could have made it, after all she had no magical training to speak of, I'm not sure.

With Amortentia, no, I don't think it would be possible to fight that. A weaker potion, perhaps, if the person is despised enough. Perhaps it's to do with the mind, and spells that affect the mind. You wouldn't be able to resist a trip jinx, but you might be able to resist that charm Fleur put on the dragon to make it go into a trance. If you were strong-willed enough. It would definitely depend on your mental capabilites and the strength of the spell cast in the first place.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!