Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the delay?

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    I swear this thread has made me straighten out my own personal marauder-era timeline. How I missed this. -sighs-

The hilltop scene could've possibly taken place anytime between 31 July 1980 and 23 Oct 1981 (a week from Halloween with both dates thoroughly extrapolated). Voldemort shouldn't suspect Snape if Snape were to handle things as evasively as he always does. Snape was employed at Hogwarts at the time L/J died. This is canon. Voldemort might actually find it hard to believe that Dumbledore gave Snape the job. It'd go to show that Voldemort doesn't do much rational thinking, does he and merely enjoys ways to get retribution over Dumbledore. But if there's something about Voldemort we know, is that he underestimates others. Time and time again, he's mocked Dumbledore for his theory about love and it's not just love is it? It is about having trust in people and giving them the space to really chose what they want.

I believe Dumbledore trusted Snape's motive to help and that made him worthy of a place as the Order's spy. But offering the place at Hogwarts was an extention of Dumbledore's plan that I think by no means would have happened that night on the hilltop. There is a possibility that it might not have happened for sometime after. Timing is what derives plot in marauder era. Dumbledore must have needed time to think about Snape's loyalty, devise ways in which Snape could help them without alerting Voldemort's suspicions. Even plan decoy missions, so that Snape would bag Voldemort's absolute trust.

If Snape delievered this, which he has proven countless times during the series he can, I don't think Voldemort will be any wiser.

Why I find the complexity of secrecy amazing is that Dumbledore and Snape seemed to know almost everything about who was who (except for Peter of course), but the Order members? Sirius says in POA 'what's Snape doing here?' Shouldn't he know because Snape was teaching there before Sirius got sent to Azkaban. But okay, maybe he couldn't know because do you really keep track of who's teaching at school once you've left?

In GOF when one of the trio mention Karakoff showing something on his arm to Snape, Sirius in Padfoot's Return is wondering what that might be? Did Jo really mean to say that the Order members or first war Order members should I say, did not know about the DE's mark on their arms?

Also, it seems Snape was spying for Dumbledore for at least a few weeks or more before Halloween, yes? There's a reason I believe Peter was just a lowly informant here and not a full fledged spy. If Peter was in the inner most circle, there's no way Snape might not have known about it. Sirius would think he'd been spying occupationally for Voldemort for over a year before Lily and James died because he's had time to think over everything in Azkaban. Sirius in his isolation and hatred would've found a way to link every leak of information during that time back to Peter. And maybe it was true. But there's this whole chance that Peter was actually blundering this whole while so scared he didn't know how to stop.

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Goodness, your post has disappeared altogether.

Back to maths again. Wow. Yeah because if lexicon is right and OOTP17 is the first week of October and that entire chapter takes place within a day (Sry don't have my books on me) then going back 14 years is Oct 1981. This is how I thought this translated to canon. Since fourteen years later, I can't imagine how explicit Snape is about months and weeks and minutes, I think there might be some rein to interpret.

I wonder if he worked there for say thirteen years and ten months (employment starting nov/dec 1981) maybe he'd still say he worked 14 years. Interesting.

I wish I was this detailed about things in RL. If Jo only knew. Hmm.

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    No, it didn't disappear. I deleted it because I realised, having found my copy of HBP, that I was mistaken and then I had to sort out the Brawl *sigh* so couldn't get back and post straight away.

Tthere's a timeline issue with Sirius not knowing Snape was at the school. I doubt he'd just have forgotten - you don't forget what happens to your enemies, even if you are stuck in Azkaban.

Regarding the canon evidence. I never altogether trust the Lexicon or Wiki (they still have Remus as being born in 1958) but when I flicked through HBP (Spinner's End) there is a passage where Bellatrix questions him.

So Snape tells Bellatrix he was at Hogwarts at the time Voldemort fell on Voldemort's orders. He could be lying to her because he does like winding her up ... but it's more likely he was telling the truth. That probably places him as a teacher before J and L died, but it doesn't necessarily mean he started in September 1981 or earlier. I can't get away from the fact that once he tells Dumbledore that the Potters are the target, Dumbledore would wait two months or more before suggesting the Fidelius charm.

Also, it seems Snape was spying for Dumbledore for at least a few weeks or more before Halloween, yes? There's a reason I believe Peter was just a lowly informant here and not a full fledged spy. If Peter was in the inner most circle, there's no way Snape might not have known about it.
    I'm not convinced that Snape was part of the inner circle, either. Peter probably gained acceptance and the Dark Mark when he betrayed the Potters (although was there time to initiate him after he betrayed them and before Voldy killed them?). It seems to me that Snape gained acceptance when he told of the Prophecy.
    It looks as if there are two or three tiers of Voldemort followers (and, don't forget according to Karkarov they worked in small cells) Snape clearly didn't know about Peter, but Sirius does state that he heard DE's in Azkaban cursing Peter for betraying the Dark Lord - that's who Peter was more afraid of.

I wonder if he worked there for say thirteen years and ten months (employment starting nov/dec 1981) maybe he'd still say he worked 14 years. Interesting.
    Unfortunately McGonagall is the only one who is precise with her dates when she says 'thirty-nine years this December' making her start date December 1956 (which probably makes that Dumbledore's start date as Headmaster)
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird