Thread: Lupin's Employment?

Hybrid View

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Lupin's Employment?

EDIT: Should be post one. Someone call Luna and get the Nargles out of the system

I was wondering, do you think that Lupin found getting employment hard from the moment he left Hogwarts, or only after Umbridge passed the anti-werewolf legislation "a couple of years ago" - Sirius (OotP)

Rowling said somewhere(?) that James supported himself, Lily and Sirius after they left Hogwarts, but Remus wasn't mentioned.

If you think he would have been able to get a job, what sort of job?

If not, how did he get by for 16ish years.

Thanks
    Jess

(sorry if this post appears to be formatted weirdly, i'm posting using my phone and can't use any of the formatting tools. Will edit if it looks too bad after I press submit)
    Banner photographed by me and edited by xBeccaxBlackx
    It was worth the chocolate : )

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"
    Gerard Way

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    JKR said that James supported Lupin after they left school. Sirius could support himself because of the gold his Uncle Alphard left him. I guess that would mean paying the rent and bills etc on a small flat or something while they were in the Order. I guess that he'd only have gone into a full time job after Voldemort fell and the Potters were killed. Perhaps the fact that he'd been in the Order made it easier than it might have been to get a job, or maybe Dumbledore recommended him for something.

Personally, I don't think he stayed in one job for long, rather he moved from job to job when either people found out about him, or he was sacked. He's very good with Dark creatures and remedies, so I would have though he'd had jobs in those areas. Perhaps he went abroad where they might be more tolerant, or just ask less questions. I think that the type of jobs he had weren't very well paid considering the state of his robes etc.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Sorry this reply took so long, internet has been weird
    And i'm not double posting, the Nargles are at it again

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire at Dawn
    JKR said that James supported Lupin after they left school. Sirius could support himself because of the gold his Uncle Alphard left him.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leaky Cauldron
    Harry often wondered about his parents lives before he died. What did Lily, James, Remus, Lupin and Sirius do after Hogwarts?

JKR: To take Remus first, Remus was unemployable. Poor Lupin, prior to Dumbledore taking him in, lead a really impoverished life because no one wanted to employ a werewolf. The other three were full-time members of the Order of the Phoenix. If you remember when Lily, James and co. were at school, the first war was raging. It never reached the heights that the second war reached, because the Ministry was never infiltrated to that extend but it was a very bad time, the same disappearances, the same deaths. So that's what they did, they left school. James has gold, enough to support Sirius and Lily. So I suppose they lived off a private income. But they were full-time fighters, that's what they did, until Lily fell pregnant with Harry. So then they went into hiding.

TLC Transcript, Open Book Tour, NYC, October 19, 2007
    I did wonder why she said this, because you're right that Sirius would have had his uncle's money.
    I can't imagine James not offering to help Remus out.
    Any thoughts?

Personally, I don't think he stayed in one job for long, rather he moved from job to job when either people found out about him, or he was sacked. He's very good with Dark creatures and remedies, so I would have though he'd had jobs in those areas. Perhaps he went abroad where they might be more tolerant, or just ask less questions. I think that the type of jobs he had weren't very well paid considering the state of his robes etc.
    I fully agree with this, thank you

Perhaps the fact that he'd been in the Order made it easier than it might have been to get a job, or maybe Dumbledore recommended him for something.
    This could work, thanks so much

Jess
    Banner photographed by me and edited by xBeccaxBlackx
    It was worth the chocolate : )

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"
    Gerard Way