Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SPEW Babble #44

MerryD
    *pokes SPEWlings*

Where have you all wondered off to?

I don't have anything to do, but don't feel like not doing anything. Such an awful paradox. >.> It's very hot and I'm mostly just waiting around until 2:30 for then India vs. West Indies cricket match, because then at least there will be something to watch. :]

Soo . . . without further ado, Soraya's TQ:

I've noticed that some authors on MNFF only respond to some reviews, while others respond to all, and some don't reply to any of them. What do you think of that? Do you reply to all your reviews? Why or why not?

I am one of those who hasn't responded to all. I am generally an easily distracted person, so it often takes me a few days to respond to reviews. And sometimes a bit longer than that. I have some reviews that are a few years old and it seems a bit pointless to go back and answer them now, especially since they're mostly from members who are no longer active on the site. In those cases though, they are reviews from my friends and I probably already thanked them through another medium. Or I just trusted that they knew I loved and adored them to infinite amounts anyway. XD

Now, I respond to all of my reviews because I have nothing better to do. >.>

I think generally the people who don't respond to reviews are very busy, easily distracted, or don't know how to properly express their response to the review. I have been all of those and I've reviewed people who are all of those.

In some cases, responses to reviews are the author defending/explaining the "problems" with his/her story. Although, I have done this too, I realise that I'd actually prefer just a simple "thank you." I point out "problems" because I want to help the author improve his/her writing and the story, not because I want to attack his/her story or anything. *shrugs*

/long answer

And I guess I'll answer my own TQ as well:

How do you choose the stories you review?

In short, what Jess said. >.>

I sometimes feel bad that the stories are review are ones I consider "good" and my reviews are mostly me heaping praise on the author with one or two nitpicky things. I wish I had the patience and the ability to kindly phrase criticism so I could review the "bad" stories and help out the authors who actually need help. *sigh*

I tend to review stories that are darker and heavily emotional. What can I say? I love picking out gorgeous metaphors and squeeing over them.

baah, it's hot. I sweating from just sitting. :[

Also, extremely belated CONGRATULATIONS! to Jess for her first and second place wins in the last Great Hall challenge. You ROCK!

<3

--Mere

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Mere
    Also, extremely belated CONGRATULATIONS! to Jess for her first and second place wins in the last Great Hall challenge. You ROCK!
    Thank you! *squish*

I'm glad Counting the Ways did well, because writing that story ate my soul and a bit of my sanity, and honestly, after I was done, I wasn't even sure I liked it. :/ However, when Carole told me it was probably my best story, I felt better about it. The Proposal was written in 45 minutes for the sake of having something to submit to an extra category (points whoring, anyone?). I was surprised that it did well. Broom Ride was just fun. I'm so happy that Ravenclaw cleaned up in that challenge. It pleases me much.

In some cases, responses to reviews are the author defending/explaining the "problems" with his/her story.
    I have no problems with people defending their story to me via Author Responses. In fact, I prefer it that way. If I have issues with something in the story that I point out, I would much prefer to know whether it's an actual issue or if I missed the point completely. Most of the times, the author genuinely did have something planned and my lack of understanding was indicative of a slight fail on their part to make it happen. There are other times, though, that I completely missed the point of something, which inhibited my enjoyment of the story. When I realise this, I can go back through the story with the foreknowledge of the intended theme and find that it was actually done correctly and that I have the attention span of a squirrel. Which happens... a lot. >.>

I am a flag-flying member of the Defensive Author Club. I cardinally dislike being told that I have done something incorrectly or even badly, even if it's true -- especially if the reviewer has no better ideas or what I would consider the appropriate background to back it up. I have a hard time swallowing criticism from reviewers who can't be bothered to spell or type correctly or ones who don't check their own notions at the door before reading. I get that my opinions on certain things are different, but if one isn't interested in reading about my opinions/views, then why bother reading my stories? It baffles, I tell you. BAFFLES!

/rant

That being said, I do enjoy well-thought reviews, because they help me build better stories in the future. I don't typically change stories after I've written them, but I do take concrit into consideration for future fics.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

jenny b
    Break out the chocolate frogs, because I've got a fantastic surprise for you all!

Welcome to SPEW, Danielle/Simply Being, Meg/MissMeg and Alex/welshdevondragon!

TRIPLETS!

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Enemies of the Heir, Beware...of the Petrified Cat!
    NEWBIES!!!! Welcome to SPEW!

I have to say, I just noticed that there are no male members of SPEW yet. Hmm.

/random thought

Anyway, congrats!!

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    YAY!!!!!

Newbies are always a pleasant surprise, but you three will be wonderful to have around. Oh, to have active peoples again...
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Simply Being
    WHOOO!!! I'm a SPEW-er. Can't you see my SPEW-ly glow? And hey Meg! We're double threats now! Thanks for the welcome, I'm excited to join!

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Oh wow! Triplets! Hiiiiii there! And I don't think I've ever said hello to Soraya, soooo... hello there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessssss
    Oh, to have active peoples again...
    One thing I know for sure is that I'm going to be active again. XD

I miss fanfiction.

How do you choose the stories you review?

Same as Mere and Jess, however, I have left reviews that are more or less saying it was only "good." But I did take caution on how I said it. I'm careful to say that the characterisation wasn't enough or the plot needed some more spice to gather more readers. Of course, I don't ever want to upset an author, so I leave a paragraph or two about the things that I loved from the story.

-Dinny

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Thanks for all the welcomes. I'm ecstatic to be in SPEW (as well as amazed that I actually got in). By the way, isn't my newbie tiara beautiful. I think I'll wear it to class on Monday.

-Meg

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    Hello! I'm very happy to be here and hello to my fellow spew newbies- and siblings? and to all the ones who were already here! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better
    Banner by Minna.

MerryD
    eeeeeeeeeeeeek newbies! *bounces* And triplets! *bounces more* I was a triplet, too! Sadly, I'm the only one left . . . :[

And, Jen, I just have to say, Meg's banner is like the most adorable thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Soraya
    I have to say, I just noticed that there are no male members of SPEW yet. Hmm.
    There have been some male members, though they are a bit few and far between. BB [Sainyn Swiftfoot] was a member once. I think he's the only guy who's still active on MNFF that is an ex-SPEWer.

In a very belated response to the discussion Jess and I sort of started about defending stories-->

I understand your point. For me, though, the "problems" I point out rarely take a lot away from the story. I prefer responses that say things like "You pointed out my favourite line/part" or "I'm so glad you saw what I did there--I wasn't sure if any one would catch it" etc. I spend most of my review writing praise and I guess I'd just appreciate equal acknowledgment of that.

--Mere