Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SPEW Babble #44

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    Interesting. I'm with Alex, though, on the editing review responses thing. Sometimes there's things I'd like to add after I've hit the submit button. Then again, I should really think about what I want to write in the box and hopefully it won't happen as much. *shrugs*

Alors, j'ai trois questions pour vous. (Et si vous ne parlez pas francais, vous devez aller Google Translate.)

(That was very bad French, by the way.)

I don't have that many stories on MNFF, but out of my collection, I've found that the one with the most views is my oldest story. But the one with the most reviews is my WIP. Which is more important -- views or reviews?

In answer to my own TQ, I think reviews are more important if I'm eager to know what people think of the story. But, if I just wanted to know if people are actually reading the story, it's better to look at the views, I suppose. My latest chapter of Checkmate got validated the day before yesterday and while it only got one review, I'm sure people are still reading it because of the view count going up.

We've mentioned one-liner reviews and duplicate reviews. Would you prefer not to get them?

Any reviews are much appreciated, so even if it's just a line, at least the person is taking time out to actually bother to review. As for duplicate reviews...I bet the person didn't realise. No one does it on purpose. Besides, it ups my review count

Do any of you guys post on other sites -- even LJ? (My name on LJ is Soraya786. I created one a long time ago but then I neglected it, so feel free to add me and then we can chat!!) Do you find that when you post on sites like LJ, FF.net, etc., that you receive more reviews?

I post on FF.net and HPFF but to be honest, Checkmate hasn't been well-received there in terms of reviews. It's improving, but still, I think I prefer reviews on MNFF for my WIP. Even my oneshots and poetry, though, they get more reviews on MNFF than FF.net or HPFF. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I think it's a good thing, because MNFF is moderated strictly, so...yeah.

Off to school now. Long babble!!

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    I don't have that many stories on MNFF, but out of my collection, I've found that the one with the most views is my oldest story. But the one with the most reviews is my WIP. Which is more important -- views or reviews?
    I don't think either number is all that important. All read count shows is the pattern of the general MNFF readership. If you, for example, wrote a Harry/Ginny and a Cedric/Cho side by side, I guarantee that, by the end of a month, the Harry/Ginny will have three times the number of reads as the Cedric/Cho, even if the latter is a much better story with more plot and better characterisation. Conversely, though, mainstream stories tend to receive more squee reviews and one-liners. So, that leads me to believe that reviews are more important, but only by what they say, not how many.

That being said, I would venture to say that Collateral Damage is, by far, my most successful fic, followed closely by Brazen.

We've mentioned one-liner reviews and duplicate reviews. Would you prefer not to get them?
    I'd be lying if I said that squee!mails (what I call review emails) don't make me ridiculously happy, even if they are one-liners or duplicates. I don't mind either one, actually. I welcome all feedback, even if it is in causality loop form (duplicates).
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    Soraya, je ne oublie pas mes GCSE francais! Je comprend (It makes me so happy when I can understand french still- it doesn't often happen.)

I agree with Jess that views only really shows MNFF readership. Like my story with Draco has far more views then my other ones, and far more reviews, whereas my story with mainly OCs has by far the least reads of any of my stories.

The number of views only bothers me if no-ones reviewing. Like with Thin Red Lines I think by the time I had chapter ten up there were only three reviews, but around thirty people who seemed to read it every time a chapter gets posted. Now more people are reviewing the number of views doesn't bother me as much- which is nice.

Jess- I'm not surprised Brazen is your second most popular fiction. It is brilliant. My story with the most views is nowhere near as brilliant but is a one-shot. Oddly loads of people seem to be reading it recently so I suspect someone recommended it somewhere but haven't seen where or who.

And I wanted to call a story of mine "Collateral Damage" but was sure I'd already read a story on MNFF called that- searched and found Jess's. Now I have to go back to title scouring, which is fun.

Duplicate reviews are a bit annoying because, like Mere said, in your inbox it says you have two reviews when actually you just have the one, but I think everyone likes their ego massaged occasionally (not too often) by squeal reviews.

Do any of you guys post on other sites -- even LJ? (My name on LJ is Soraya786. I created one a long time ago but then I neglected it, so feel free to add me and then we can chat!!) Do you find that when you post on sites like LJ, FF.net, etc., that you receive more reviews?

Someone suggested I post Thin Red Lines on FF but no-one there was interested. I think five people read it. Besides on MNFF the quality control is so much better, I rarely go on FF anymore unless to look at an author I found on MNFF. Having said that, I'm considering posting my WIP on FF, jsut because I've written the beginning and the end and it gets....complicated. Possibly outside MNFF allowances and I've tried rewriting it but then it just sounds....weak. Still it's chapter 17 of a story the middle of which isn't written, so it might change.
    Banner by Minna.

MerryD
    ooh, Jen, thanks so much for badgering Anna for her banners! I was looking through the SPEW banners page the other day and got so disappointed when I saw that most of hers had randomly disappeared. >.>

Which is more important -- views or reviews?

I'm with Jess on this one--neither number is more or less important. Personally, I think how you feel about the story has a much greater value than reviews/reads. I know my worst story has the most reads and reviews, but I know it's terrible. Conversely, two of the stories I consider my 'best' have the least reads and a small number of reviews.

But, my story with the most favourites is one of my best. So. hmm.

Honestly, the duplicates are a bit disappointing. >.> Like, I see that I have two new reviews and it's a bit of let down to find out that I only have one new review, twice. I like the 'OMG SO COOL UPDATE NOW !!!!!!!!!1111' ones because it makes me feel like I'm doing something right, lol.

--Mere

jenny b
    Oooh, I love review talk!

About the oldest stories having the most views - that's the same with me too. They used to get way more reviews as well. I think that's just to do with the whole MNFF world getting smaller, rather than a reflection on my writing, since I doubt I've worsened over the years

As to the one-liners, I find them quite scary sometimes. Maybe I just get scary reviewers, though. I didn't update my WIP for about three or four months, and I stopped wanting to update it because some of the reviews were just a bit rude and mean with their UPDATE NOW sentiment. But I did update it, and now they're happy with me again. I hope. >.>

And Alex, I LOVE Laura Marling! She's gorgeous. Have you heard the Dharohar Project by her and Mumford & Sons? It's a Bollywood EP and it's AMAZING. /fangirling.

jenny b
    Sorry for the double-post, but my sleepy, over-studied brain just had an idea.

I'm always trying to improve the way SPEW runs, because I want you guys to enjoy it here as much as possible and get the best you possibly can out of our little group. But it's really hard to try and evaluate it from my perspective, and it's difficult to try and gauge the response of SPEW as a whole to how things are being run. So I thought I might try a survey.

There's only ten questions relating to SPEW, the activities we do and how everything is run. It's totally anonymous, so feel free to say what you like. I'll be the only one reading them (and Hannah) and we won't know who has written which answer. If you have anything mean to say about us, now's your chance!

Seriously though, I would appreciate it SO MUCH if you guys took the time to fill it in. It's all for your benefit, so please help me out here. I know it'll be harder for the newbies since you're just finding out what everything in SPEW is, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts as well. I don't need detailed essays, so if you can take five minutes to do it I'll love you forever.

If you have any questions about it just ask here or PM me, and you know if you ever have any issues with SPEW or suggestions then my inbox and AIM window are always open. <3

(And let me know ASAP if there are any problems with the survey, since I've never made one before and I'm just hoping I did it correctly >.>)

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    So few people have heard of Laura Marling, even though critics (quite rightly) love her and she gave the second best acceptance speech ever when she won her Brit award (the best obviously being Helena Bonham Carter for The King's Speech Bafta) even if Boy George seemed to have completely missed the point of her song "Rambling man".

Yes, I've listened to Dharohar Project by her and Mumford & Sons. It's amazing, although it's not really Bollywood (when I was in India I did sort of get the Bollywood craze and even was in a bollywood film but now I've left it's slightly too cheesy for me, most of the time), but Rajasthani folk mixed with their brand of folk. I love Johnny Flynn as well, have you heard of him?

And Soraya, I thought I'd tell you here just in case anyone else has a view on this, "My Sister's Keeper" is the one Jodi Piccoult I read. I really didn't like it, and we did it for my book club so can remember the reasons, but will only rant against it if you say you don't mind

I've tried setting up an AIM account, but when it asks for a zip code it rejects my UK post code (well, the house I lived in six years ago's post code, because I still don't understand why they need it). I've tried searching for a UK AIM but can't - can any other Brits help me out?

Yes, so another rambly post from me. Sorry. YOu did invite me to join- if you knew I'd be constantly injecting the babble with irreverent and unnecessary details you might not have
    Banner by Minna.

Simply Being
    Je suis dans la classe de Francais AP. Mais, je ne prendrai pas l'examen AP parce que c'est trop difficile pour moi. Il coute trop de l'argent aussi!

View don't mean much to me. I think I'd take a handful of really good reviews over lots of views. This is why I'm in SPEW now I guess! Actually, I don't even check my views. And now that I think about it, I'm not sure how to anymore.

Duplicate reviews are teases! You scroll down and think, "Oh great, another review! How exciting!". But NO. It is the same review accidentally posted twice. As far as the one-liner reviews...they're better than nothing. And it's always nice to hear what someone has to say about your writing, even if it is short. I'll admit, back when I first joined the site I left some really terrible reviews.

Do any of you guys post on other sites -- even LJ? Do you find that when you post on sites like LJ, FF.net, etc., that you receive more reviews?
    I used to have a FF.net account and I vaguely remember posting something. I don't remember receiving any reviews, but I abandoned it pretty quickly so I may have since then. That was a long time ago, however. I basically stick to MNFF for posting fics as well as reading fics.

Er, as a newbie am I allowed to ask a new question?

Do you read HP fanfiction (or any other kind of fanfiction) on sites other than MNFF? Which are your favorites?
    I've read some House fanfic on MNFF and livejournal but that's the extent of it for me.

jenny b
    I agree with you, Alex, in that it's not really Bollywood, but I just didn't really know how else to describe it. And I'm so jealous that you've been to India! Mere is there at the moment, actually. Lucky girls And I've heard of Johnny Flynn but never actually listened to his music. I should check him out.

As to AIM - I'd just google for American zip codes and put one of them in. It's really not that important. I can't remember what happened when I signed up because it was so long ago, but I'm assuming Australian post codes would have the same problem!

Thanks for the people who have responded to the survey so far, I'm getting some good responses. It'll take me a while to go through and see what ideas we can implement, and of course we won't be able to do everything, but rest assured that your suggestions are being carefully considered. It would be amazing if everyone in SPEW replied!

And psst, Soraya - you may want to put a link to the new chapter of your fic in the story update thread! I realised I didn't specify a place for a link, so I corrected it in the original post. Sorry!

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    Ta, Jen. I've added the link now I think it was quite late at night when I posted the update so that's probably why it slipped my mind.

Ooh, it's funny you should mention Bollywood. I used to be really good at dancing to Bollywood when I was around eight or nine, but then by the time I was ten, I'd lost interest. It's loads of fun, bhangra dancing, but it takes up so much energy! And yes, I know exactly what you mean, Mere, about Bollywood films losing their charm. I think the oldies are goldies, in this case.

But there is this one movie my little brother watches like every month that I absolutely adore.
    Which one? I'm pretty well-versed with Bollywood movies. My favourite's probably Main Hoo Na. It's so funny!

Do you read HP fanfiction (or any other kind of fanfiction) on sites other than MNFF? Which are your favorites?

Occasionally when I want to read something new that I know I won't find on MNFF -- such as a Remus/Tonks fic, because I've read all of the oneshots that are Remus/Tonks on MNFF -- I will scout around on Google, checking what the recs are. And then I'd go from there. But yeah -- I rarely read a fic blindly, that is to say without someone telling me it's good. Checkmated.com has some decent stuff and so does Fiction Alley. FF.net...it's controversial but I think there's some good stuff in between the junk.

By the way, my LJ is Soraya786 but I haven't got very far in establishing any friends because of how busy I've been, so feel free to add me now.

And Soraya, I thought I'd tell you here just in case anyone else has a view on this, "My Sister's Keeper" is the one Jodi Piccoult I read. I really didn't like it, and we did it for my book club so can remember the reasons, but will only rant against it if you say you don't mind
    WHATTT????? How on earth can you say that?? Granted, I haven't read My Sister's Keeper, but I've watched the film and if that's anything to go about the book's got to be good. Jodi Picoult is AMAZING. Who agrees with me??

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.