Thread: Changes at Hogwarts During the Second War

HARRYHARRYHARRYs_twin

Changes at Hogwarts During the Second War

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've gone through the archives until I hit pre-DH dates and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I was recently writing, the particular scene involving a student receiving a second letter from Hogwarts after the Ministry's fallen and Voldemort is running things. I've written in that there's a letter, addressed to all students, informing of the changes taking place at the school. I was hoping to get some additional opinions on what you think might be different.

Some questions to get you started:

Do you think there would be any additional or modified rules? If so, what kind(s)? We know, of course, that punishments became much more harsh, but I'm wondering if any additional restrictions would be put on the students, such as earlier curfews, for example.

How much information do you think Hogwarts (and by extenstion, the Ministry and Voldemort) would give to the students? Obviously, it would be the twisted version of events and facts by Voldemort, but would they try to go about things as if normal, or what?

georgeisholey
    Oh, goody, this is one of my favorite topics! I'm writing a story about this, too!

Do you think there would be any additional or modified rules? If so, what kind(s)?
    Of course there would be! In mine, all Hogsmeade weekends are canceled, mail is searched upon entering and leaving the castle, everyone must be in bed by eight, nobody is allowed on the grounds after dark, and there's no Quidditch until further notice! That, of course, leaves them basically trapped in the castle until the breaks. It sounds sort of difficult to write without all those extras, but it really just gives the D.A. more rules to defy in their Anti-Voldemort campaigns at the school.

How much information do you think Hogwarts (and by extension, the Ministry and Voldemort) would give to the students?
    In mine, they obviously make all these rule changes in light of Dear Voldypoo's return, but they don't actually explain to the students what's really going on. Basically they say, "Voldemort is back. He is evil and murderous, and in order to protect you from this big bad guy, we lock you up here and throw away the key until Christmas and Summer breaks. This is for your safety." And they leave it at that, because even though people suspect their ulterior motives, they really can't do much about it.

I really hope this helps!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Do you think there would be any additional or modified rules? If so, what kind(s)?
    I think there would be, but not at first, and I doubt the parents would be informed. Restrictions from the off could create an opposing movement right then and there, and they'd have parental support as well. Voldemort wouldn't want the students uniting against him before they've even started the school. Plus, it's not his style. I think outwardly, rules etc would remain similar, but start to get harsher against the students who caused trouble, but only once they'd started to misbehave. The threat of having certain priviliges taken away from them might make students behave, but you need the priviliges in place in the first place.

There'd perhaps be new rules giving the Carrows more power, sort of like the High Inquisitor position Umbridge gave to herself, less tolerance of rule-breaking, sneaking out at night etc. I don't think that to start with there'd be an earlier curfew; it'd just create resentment against the regime. Students who caused trouble, like Neville and co, might have restricted curfews, not allowed into Hogsmeade etc, but student who obey the rules might be okay. The might bring back the whole teacher walking students to lessons thing from CoS. If there are new rules, they'd be rules to keep an eye on students or giving the Carrows more power.

How much information do you think Hogwarts (and by extension, the Ministry and Voldemort) would give to the students?

I think that they'd give the bare bones. They might use the excuse of the threat of Voldemort as a cover, but it depends on the changes. I don't think that you'd be able to use that excuse for cutting curfew, for example. They'd have to explain things like the absence of Muggle-borns and why every child has to go to Hogwarts now, and I think Remus explains the latter. For the former they'd just use propaganda. Basically, they'd do everything they could not to alert the country to what is really going on.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!