Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March Activities 2011

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Title: The Good Daughter
    Word Count: 530
    Author's Note: I'm really just adding this to meet the fifty characters requirement. And to say that Petunia wasn't as much of a b**** to write as I thought she was going to be.

When she was eleven years old, Petunia brought home a Certificate of High Achievement in Academics — the only girl in her school to do so. She had gone out to dinner with Mum and Dad and Lily and turned red with embarrassed pride as she listened to their praise. In the back of her mind, a small, arrogant side of her had thought, I’ve left some big shoes to fill.

When Lily was eleven years old, she had found a letter in her mailbox, formally inviting her to the school that Petunia had only heard whispers about from the shifty boy that always watched them in the park. Their parents had taken Lily out shopping, buying her special equipment for her special school with more money than they brought home a month. They had been glowing as they told Lily how wonderful she was, how bloody unique she was to be accepted to a school like this.

That weekend, Petunia had stayed home in her room, rereading Jane Austen’s Emma. She soothed her hurt pride with the fact that Lily would most likely fail out of that school — she had always been rubbish at maths and history, after all. Perhaps the new school would reject her once they saw that she was not a serious student. She had kept her fingers crossed as she turned the pages of the book; though she knew in her heart it was only a silly superstition, she hoped for a higher power to make her wishes come true. For what would her academic certificates mean if Lily could perform the impossible?

Lily had promised to write every day that summer, and though Petunia had brushed it off as though she didn’t care, she was irked when the letters began to grow fewer and fewer. She wondered if the teachers would query about Lily’s family life… when she closed her eyes every night, the conversation was visible beneath her lids.

“I wonder if talent like this runs in the family. Have you any siblings, Miss Evans?”

“Oh, I’ve a sister, but she is rather boring.”

“Tut tut. Boring is what makes a good student. What is her name?”

“Petunia.”

“Petunia…that name rings a bell. Perhaps we ought to enroll her immediately, in case we’ve overlooked her magical abilities thus far.”

Sometimes, it was so real she would wake up and wonder if her letter had been sent yet.

She waited four years, but it never came. She had given up being a good student by then. Only half of her heart went into her studies, perhaps a fifth of her time was spent studying. The other four-fifths were spent doing things that she would come to regret, things that she scorned later in life and tried hard to protect her dear Duddy-kins from. She had stopped trying to earn her parents’ pride, for she knew well that it was foolish to try for something that would never happened. The absence of a letter had taught her that much.

And who was she to try to be the good daughter, when it seemed as though Lily was good enough for the both of them?

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Name of the Story: Whirlwind
    Author: hestiajones
    Rating: 6th – 7th Years
    Word Count: 11195
    Warnings: Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity, Substance Abuse
    Number of chapters: 4
    Last updated on: March 20, 2011 (Completed)
    Summary: "Do you remember me?" he asked.
    She did, but she wasn't sure what to feel about a guy who had suddenly reappeared after a decade. But over the next twenty-four hours, her life was going to change, and all because of him.

Name of the Story:Prefect Paralysed
    Author: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Rating: 3rd – 5th Years
    Word Count: 1173
    Warnings: None
    Number of chapters: 1
    Last updated on: February 8, 2011 (one-shot)
    Summary: On her first night of patrol, Molly Weasley was armed with the basic rules of how to be a prefect, but one guideline had been woefully omitted from the list: what to do when a handsome delinquent robbed her of her ability to think.

Name of the Story: Forever Entwined
    Author: lucca4
    Word Count: 4091
    Warnings: DH Spoilers, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity
    Number of chapters: 1
    Last updated on: November 2, 2010 (one-shot)
    Summary: From the first time Rose Weasley saw Scorpius Malfoy on the Hogwarts Express, she knew they were fated to be enemies. At least, that was the plan. But as the years went on, she found that it was easier said than done. The gap between who she was and who her family wanted her to be was always widening. Her life becomes a tangled web of mistakes and regrets as she finds herself drawn to the one boy she was told to hate, until finally she makes a choice. A choice that might have just lost her the only one who had always been there for her…

Name of the Story: Jemzi
    Author: Belledeg
    Word Count: 93043
    Warnings: DH Spoilers, Self Injury, Sexual Situations, Slash, Strong Profanity, Violence
    Number of chapters: 24
    Last updated on: January 31, 2010 (Complete)
    Summary: Jemzi Zabini is the seventeen year old daughter of Blaise Zabini and his wife Harper, and is about to join her fellow witches and wizards at Hogwarts for their final school year. Jemzi is famous for being the once best friend of Albus Potter. However, a mysterious argument last year that only the two of them were witness to has ruined their friendship and they are now practically enemies. No one knows the reason for their fall out, only that it has caused a great divide in their friendship group.
    Jemzi's best friend and Albus' cousin, Rose, suspects that their friendship expired because of strange and unwanted feelings between them. Feelings which, despite their fall out, have not gone away. Feelings that are similar to those she has for a certain Slytherin...
    So can the next generation of Hogwarts students learn to forget past actions and forgive?

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Award: Best Poem
    Author/Story: Harmony by hestiajones
    Link: http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/view...7842&chapter=1
    Reason: It was like a window into two lovers’ lives. The simplicity (it’s only 100 words) of it was so beautiful. The twists in words and the heartfelt expression for passion was truly one of a kind. I loved every single thing about it despite it being Harry/Hermione. I don’t even ship that pairing! There really isn’t much to say since everything I would describe it with is synonyms of ‘beautiful’ and ‘perfection.’ Poems are meant to be subtle, piercing waves that gather around the ankles, drowning a part of ourselves that we may never have known to exist. I think that this poem absolutely qualifies for it.

Award: Best Tear-Jerker
    Author/Story: I Love You This Much by MagEd
    Link: http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=70989
    Reason: It’s a pretty old story, but I just can’t let this one go. The first time I read it, Severus stayed in my mind for a whole week. Whenever I think of him then, I felt sad. Unbearably sad, really. Maggie’s writing struck me so bad that there are more than two times that I cried from just remembering the story. She wrote Severus wonderfully, and reading about how he thinks and feels convicted me. His growing heartbreak was breaking mine. The story left such a great impression to me that even after two years, I still remember how it felt when I read it.

Award: Best Minor Character-Centered Story
    Author/Story: What Lies Behind by C_A_Campbell
    Link: http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=86973
    Reason: A quiet Slytherin’s mind is one of the most mysterious places in literary fanfiction. Chante delivered the story of Theodore Nott. I think that’s the best explanation I can give. She wrote the story of Theo Nott. His character was so pronounced, exceptionally fleshed out, and just so alive. Not to mention that the narration was completely remarkable along with the plot. The whole thing was incredibly moving. It showed a lot of insight in war and family. Gorgeous story.

Award: Most Promising Author
    Author/Story: lucca4
    Link: http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewuser.php?uid=145725
    Reason: I’m not just saying it because I’m friends with her. I do mean it when I say that in the present group of newbie writers, Ariana is the most promising one. If you read her stories according to the dates published, you would see how earnest she is in improving and delivering an amazing story. Her writing as of now is growing to be lyrical and captivating. Paragraph by paragraph, her narrative grows in its intensity, captivating the reader more and more. Her stories are becoming excellently pronounced in plotline (well, she has mostly one-shots now, but still) and most especially, characterization. I honestly would love to see more from her.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    …I think I'm allowed to post here now? Hopefully.

Anyway, thank you both so, so much for your reviews. They really meant a lot to me, since I rarely get new reviews for my stories anymore. Thank you very, very sincerely .

Soraya:

Jess said in her review that you're a younger writer. I'm fifteen. Are you a lot older than me? Your writing style is very mature!
    Thank you! I am sixteen, so I'm not that much older than you. But it's really my goal for my writing not to be reflective of my age. I want people to read my stories and I don't care too much if they like them/dislike them but I don't want it to be judged on my age.

Do you plan on writing any more Scorose fics? (Maybe a chaptered one...*hint hint*)
    Haha, no, I don't think so. I prefer Scorpius/Lily or other rarer pairs -- so if I wrote a chaptered it would be about that pairing probably.

Do you think that in retrospect, it was possible for any of the Marauders to be the traitor? Or did you think it was inevitable Peter was the one?
    Hm… it might just be my personal bias against him, but I think that if one of the Marauders was going to be the traitor it would be him. He's weaker than his friends -- not physically, maybe, but the depth of their friendship never meant as much to him as the others, I think. His sense of self-preservation always overruled his loyalty for them. War really shows their true colors in this aspect. Sirius and James and Remus were ready to fight for a greater cause, but Peter just wasn't. I think he would have been content to sit and stay safe until the storm passed, but since his friends were fighting he felt obligated to fight, while still trying to keep himself as safe as possible. I don't think any of the other Marauders felt like this, at least not constantly, and so in this way I think he was set apart from the rest of them.

Hannah:

Where do you get your inspiration from?
    Random, everyday things. I can be eating cereal or driving to school or taking a math test and my mind will start to drift and I'll start to think about something that I would have so much fun writing. That being said, it's really hard for me to make myself get inspired…when I was writing Defiance, for instance, it was for a class prompt and it took me so, so long to think about what to write.

What do you think is the greatest strength to your writing? What about weakness? What do you find hardest? Easiest?
    My greatest strength… maybe dialogue? It's also the easiest part for me. I love playing out in my head what I think the characters would say. I think my greatest weakness is definitely plot. I'm not very good at thinking of big, elaborate plots that make readers want more and more. It also ties into what I think is hardest about writing: writing something interesting. It's difficult for me to think of what people would want to read more of…and finding the fine line between an intriguing read and an eye-rolling soap-opera. .

Thank you both so much for the questions/reviews!

xx Ariana

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.