Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minna - Unavailable

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?

Minna - Unavailable

Username: Minnabird - but call me Minna.

P.I. Accredition Number: 5604525785

Author's Page: Clicky

Genres:

I haven't read much D/A or Trio-centric stuff, or SSP, but I'm up for anything, really.

Ships:

Again, probably up for anything, though I'm inexperienced with SSP. I'm not big on Slytherins (especially Draco and Severus) but I probably wouldn't turn down a fic cos it had them in it. It's just a personal reading preference, having sort of glutted myself on Slyth-centric fic, especially Snape-centric - a bit like eating nothing but hot dogs for a month and not really being all that fond of hot dogs anymore. xD Oh, also, OCs and minor canon characters = LOVE.

Ratings and Warnings: I'm not really sure how good I'd be with a Professors fic, especially with the "Sexual Situations" warning, but ask anyway. =)

One-shot or Chaptered: I'm definitely more a one-shot kind of beta. Me = flaky when it gets to be more. >.<

Turn Around Time: I think I'll be pretty quick - within a few days - depending on when I actually start on the chapter (as opposed to receiving the e-mail, glancing at it, going "arrgghhh but I have art homework!" and going off reluctantly to do it. On the other hand, it might be a great procrastination tool...-is a bad student-).

Permanent Y/N: Umm. Yes, I guess, if it's a short chaptered. Long ones, I'm not sure about yet.

Strengths: Spelling, grammar, basically nitpicking your sentences to death. I'm pretty good with canon stuff as well. I'll probably also be able to pick out inconsistencies in plot - at least I notice them when they happen in books, so hopefully it'd work that way in beta'ing as well. I don't have that much experience.

Weaknesses: Characterization and relationships are not really my strong suit. Briticisms aren't either, really - I'm American, and I just take a lot of Americanisms for granted.

Style: Track changes on Word. As for editing style, I tend to do a lot of nitpicking but mostly I'll try to explain why I think something's off/wrong. Expect comments galore, probably.

Method of Contact: E-mail. You're also free to IM me if you want, to ask questions or whatever. If you'd like that, please tell me and I'll PM you my AIM sn along with my e-mail address.

Other Information: I have Word 2007, so if you have another version where I'll have to convert the document, please tell me. =) Also, if you need any help with HTML tags, I'm pretty good with those as well.

A few warnings: I will nitpick very small details, including when I feel the word you're using isn't exactly right. I will ask many questions when I feel things are unclear - these are rhetorical, mostly, and just to show what I wondered about in the unclear bits. I may also occasionally explain in detail why something feels off to me - I feel like I have to justify these things sometimes. Usually it'll involve complicated grammar stuff ("I feel like when you use a dependent clause then a comma before the independent clause, the independent clause has to be stronger/heavier than the dependent clause. Otherwise it feels top-heavy.") I do try to restrain myself; if I don't, feel free to ignore me and just substitute "It feels off." Because I feel like I have to justify and ask questions when things are unclear though, there will be a ton of comments involved. If the idea perturbs you, you may not want me as your beta.

On the upside, this means there are less actual changes made. I mostly just correct grammatically incorrect stuff and misspellings, and leave rewordings to the writer - habit left over from Writing Center in high school, where we weren't allowed to help people rewrite their sentences because then those were our words, not theirs and that would be cheating or something.

If I haven't scared you off and you'd like me to beta for you, please provide me with the following:

PHP Code:
    [b]User Name:[/bYour name on MNFF (and on the Beta Forums if they're different)  
    [b]Story:[/b] Story title, linked if you already have a chapter published  
    [b]Category:[/b] Is it a romance? a mystery? dark/angst? (etc.)  
    [b]Ships:[/b] This is short for "relationships." If there is a romantic pairing in the story, tell us who you'
    ve linked up.
    [
    b]Rating and Warnings:[/b]  
    [
    b]Word Count:[/bRemember that the minimum word count for chapters on MNFF is 800-1000 words
    [
    b]One Shot or Chaptered:[/b]  
    [
    b]Expected Beta Time:[/bHow soon you wish to have a reply (1 dayor 3 daysa weeketc)  
    [
    b]What do you need to most help with?[/bGrammarCharacterization
    [
    b]Permanent Y/N:[/b] If you're looking for a permanent beta (Yes or No
    )  
    [b]Summary:[/b] Short summary of the story. 
    Last edited by minnabird; 06-01-2011 at 03:27 PM.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Yay, first customer!

User Name: ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Story: Not sure yet... I'll think of one later
    Category: Historical
    Ships: Jocunda Sykes/OC Miles Nimbus
    Rating and Warnings: 3rd/5th Years -- Mild Profanity
    Word Count: Prolly around 6K
    One Shot or Chaptered: One-shot
    Expected Beta Time: Not really bothered by this... when you get to it
    What do you need to most help with? The feeling of authenticity, I suppose. Stupid error cleanup. I do lots of those.
    Permanent Y/N: Not necessarily
    Summary: Jocunda Sykes never played Quidditch, but she could fly like a bird. Most people never saw her in the air, never noticed, but the son of a broom magnate saw her in a different light. Her insights into flying made him re-think the craft of broommaking -- and made him a millionaire.

Miles Nimbus was an entitled rich boy with too much time on his hands -- time that he decided to spend bothering Jocunda -- but after a little bit, she started to see that he was other things, too. However, when things she talked about began to manifest in the form of brand new, top-of-the-line brooms, she felt like she was being used and told him things were over.

But when the opportunity of a lifetime presented itself to Jocunda, it forced her to come face to face with Miles after two years. Will it be just like old times, or will they rub each other the wrong way once again?
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Hee. Definitely excited about this fic, Jess. I told you I'd do it already, so I guess I'll go ask if you have my e-mail now - AIM being much quicker than a forum post. :P

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    I'm really sorry, it sounds like an awesome fic, but I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to take on a fic that long right now. Let me know when it goes up, though, because I'd love to read it.

EDIT: Post meant to be after JokerBlue/BlueJoker's

JokerBlue
    User Name: BlueJoker on MNFF, JokerBlue here because something went very wrong when I was trying to register
    Story: So far no title, I'm having a think
    Category: It's a dark historical with an OC.
    Ships: There may be a romantic story line concerning the OC/Charles Potter (Harry's Grandad)
    Rating and Warnings Either Prof's or 6th-7th years
    Word Count: Usually just over 1000 words per chapter.
    One Shot or Chaptered: It will be chapetered and likely to be around 25 chapters.
    Expected Beta Time: A week maximum, preferably within four days.
    What do you need to most help with? Grammar, and I have a habit of making things unclear.
    Permanent Y/N: If you're looking for a permanent beta (Yes or No
    ) Yes, please.
    Summary: A 16 year old Jewish witch named Sofia starts in Krakow during the 1930's. She is able to escape the persecution there when she gains permission to attend Hogwarts thanks to Dumbledore appealing for her. She goes there in the understanding that she will gain permits for her parents and her brother will join the school when he turns eleven, although it is soon apparent that this is not going to happen.
    She lives with a British wizarding family and learns to speak English. She gradually loses her identity and begins a love affair with Charles Potter.
    I won't give away the ending

JokerBlue
    No problem, thank you anyway

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Hey Minna!

You do seem to have a lot of Beta requests and I understand you may be busy (why does the rest of the world have to have exams when I don't?!) but in case you do have time, could you Beta a fic for me?

This is something I'm writing for the Mysterious May challenge.

User Name: Ginny Weasley Potter
    Story: Untitled, as of now, but I'll let you know soon.
    Category: Um... a romance cum mystery.
    Ships: Rose/Scorpius, OC/OC, Albus Severus/OC
    Rating and Warnings: 3rd-5th years, mostly, but may go upto 6th-7th years
    Word Count: about 2000 per chapter
    One Shot or Chaptered: Chaptered
    Expected Beta Time: Asap, but your convenience, really.
    What do you need to most help with? Punctuation, proper phrasing, typos
    Permanent Y/N: Permanent... but if it's not okay for you, then no worries.
    Summary: I'm writing the Trained Professional prompt, which includes a murder to be the centre of the plot. I haven't prepared the summary yet, but here's a briefing:

So, a girl in Hogwarts dies under very mysterious circumstances and a trained professional (here, an Auror-- Harry Potter) is called to investigate the matter. Then the story goes on to show how the case is solved and how several relationships are affected in the process.

I know that's like... super vague, but if you do agree to be my Beta, then I'll send you my story plan right away (if you want me to spoil it for you, that is ).

Thanks!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Alex - I have PM'ed you my e-mail address. =)

Pooja - I think it would depend on how long you plan on making the story. I'm a little tentative about accepting two chaptered fics (even short chaptereds, as these are bound to be). It's not that I don't have time, I just don't really trust myself not to flake out with two chaptereds to deal with. >.> I really am bone lazy at times.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    I hate the Mysterious May prompt because it has given me a plot bunny right in my exam month. My exams finish end of May, and the deadline is 13th June, but I know lots of people are mid-exams/ revision right now, so just seeing if you are free.

User Name: Alex/ welshdevondragon
    Story: Don't know yet. Possibly "Grieving Over Goldengrove Unleaving" (Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem).
    Category: Mystery (for the Mysterious May Challenge)
    Ships: Umm only OCs. And a bit of Lucius/ Narcissa.
    Rating and Warnings: Six/ Seventh. At the moment (I've planned it but my plans tend to change) character death/ sexual situations (more implied/ none explicit) / substance abuse/ violence. Strong profanity. I think that'll be it.
    Word Count: Ah, I'm not sure. Probably about 3000 words per chapter.
    One Shot or Chaptered: Chaptered, but it won't be more than five chapters at the very most, and more likely four (hence me starting it now- if it was a one-shot I'd wait)
    Expected Beta Time: As long as you want- just keep the deadline in mind
    What do you need to most help with? Grammar, specifically commas. Also I've only recently started writing in the third person and am having POV change problems. So if you could keep an eye on that. Also characterisation- there's a few OCs, but some Regulus Black and a lot of Bellatrix Lestrange. I know you said you weren't over the moon about Slytherins, but since Snape doesn't come up I hope you don't mind.
    Permanent Y/N: For this story, yes.
    Summary: Like I said, planning (though written the usual rubbish working drafts for this). But at the moment:

The wedding day of Narcissa Black and Lucius Malfoy should have gone perfectly. And it had, until the afternoon when Gloria Greengrass was found dead. Fabian Prewett attempts to investigate.
    I'm rubbish at summaries (if you wouldn't mind helping me with that, that would be great!)

Hope that sounds interesting/ you have time to read it (I certainly don't have time to write it but am somehow creating that time and it just won't leave me alone)!

Alex x
    Banner by Minna.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Sure, Alex, I'll take it on. I'm done with exams tomorrow anyway. =)