Thread: Searching within categories

Midnight Storm

Searching within categories

Hey there, Moddies!

I've kinda always had trouble with the Search tool. Like, say I wanted a chaptered J/L (for a change), I'll choose 'Advanced Search', go 'Romance' and '10,000' - '100,000'. Then, for the Search Term, I put in 'James Lily', and submit. Then?

No results found.

So, anyway, I was wondering whether it would be possible to have a search feature within each category, rather than a main one (because that never, ever turns up with what I'm looking for, for some reason).

I know there's already a search thing in categories with Warnings, Complete, and Alphabatical, but that doesn't really give me what I'm looking for, y'know?

Annie.

Third Year Ravenclaw
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    I completely agree! I always have trouble finding specific pairings in the other pairings category and the search thing never works for me.

If it's not possible then one thing I find useful is how the Same Sex Pairings category has sub categorys where you can filter by Harry/Draco and Remus/Sirius etc. Would it be possible to include more of this sort of thing?

And maybe a lenght filter in categorys like James/Lily and Ron/Hermione

Jess
    Banner photographed by me and edited by xBeccaxBlackx
    It was worth the chocolate : )

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"
    Gerard Way

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie
    I've kinda always had trouble with the Search tool. Like, say I wanted a chaptered J/L (for a change), I'll choose 'Advanced Search', go 'Romance' and '10,000' - '100,000'. Then, for the Search Term, I put in 'James Lily', and submit. Then?

No results found.
    Just so I am clear on this, you are wanting a tool on the archives that allows for you to search by length of chapters/stories within each category?

OR

Are you wishing for a way to be directed to stories which are *either* chaptered, WIP or one shots?

Just checking.

~Nicole
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

Midnight Storm
    EDIT: Someone needs to call Luna about these post Nargles. I'm supposed to be under Jess.

Just so I am clear on this, you are wanting a tool on the archives that allows for you to search by length of chapters/stories within each category?

OR

Are you wishing for a way to be directed to stories which are *either* chaptered, WIP or one shots?
    The first one. I was just giving an example that I couldn't really understand the Avanced Search button. So yeah, a way to search stories by length in each category would be wonderful!

x Annie

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    I think I know what they mean. If one runs the Search function from the Navigation menu and clicks 'Advanced Search', the function hardly ever works.

For example, I just now ran an Advanced Search for 'James/Lily', 'All' ratings, and 10000 - 100,000 word count (of which there are many, which anyone who has laid eyes on the J/L cat knows), but the search results say 'No Search Results'. It's sort of frustrating because it's nearly impossible to use the advanced search for anything.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.