Thread: February Challenge ~ ROUND ROBIN~ Judged~

Hybrid View

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

February Challenge ~ ROUND ROBIN~ Judged~

Welcome to the February Three Broomsticks Challenge
    Round Robin.

Here is a resurrected competition for all you budding drabblers. There are points to be earned and much fun to be had when you participate.

How to play:

Similar to QWC, each person takes turns to write a drabble of no more than 100 words and no less than 90. (I will check this).

The drabbles should fit together to form a coherent story (ahem).

The title, subject and first drabble will be set by the barmaids.

You do not have to write from the same person’s POV all the way through. So if Neville is talking to Ginny in one drabble, you could start the next one with Professor Snape watching them.

Do not crush people’s ideas and ships. If you dislike Seamus and Hannah kissing, you can’t write the next drabble having her kiss Draco and thus ignore the nice Irish boy. You could – however – have her thinking ‘Oh, I think I prefer Draco.’ Play nice, though. Scuttling a ship, or idea, in a demeaning manner isn’t big or clever and may result in docked points and/or disqualification.

You may write as many drabbles as you wish providing you don’t double post.

Correct spelling and punctuation should be used at all times.
    Points.
    This competition will run for 4 weeks.
    Week 1 – 1st – 7th
    Week 2 – 8th – 14th
    Week 3 15th – 21st
    Week 4 22nd – 28th

You can earn up to 5 points per week. There will be 2 points for every drabble with correct SPaG, and 1 point if there are minor errors. Complete and utter literary abominations may well face ordeal by cake woman.

The person who we think has contributed the most in terms of story, participation, enthusiasm and fair play will gain a further ten points for their house.
    Please number all your posts. The Nargles have time turners and the posts may appear out of order.

Because of this, we strongly suggest you read through the story before you post otherwise your post may not make any sense.

Ask any questions here and we’ll answer as soon as is barmaidly possible.

So, without further ado, welcome to

The Three Broomsticks St Valentine’s Day Massacre (?)
    Round Robin Competition.

The scene: Hogwarts, year seven
    The Time: February 1998
    The Characters: Anyone who was at Hogwarts during the Deathly Hallows so that does not include The Trio, The Twins, any Muggle-borns, a living Professor Dumbledore or Luna Lovegood (she’d gone by then). All these people can of course be mentioned, though.

Drabble 1

Walking into breakfast, Neville noticed Ginny listlessly chewing on a piece of toast. From the rather sad look on her face, he knew she was thinking about Harry again. He wanted to offer some words of comfort, but anything he could say would only sound trite. She needed a distraction. Merlin, they all did!

“Ginny,” he whispered. “I’ve had an idea.”

“What about?” she mumbled.

“Valentine’s Day.”

Ginny pulled a face. “Neville, you’re very sweet, but this isn’t the time to get romantic.”

“I agree,” he said, grinning. “But it could be the time to get revenge.”
    Happy Drabbling!

THE BARMAIDS
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Drabble 2

Noticing the sixth-year Slytherin prefect walking by uncomfortably close to them, Ginny gave Neville a meaningful look, letting him know that they would have to pick up the subject in a more private locale. The latter nodded in acknowledgment. There was only one place where they could be sure that their conversation would go unheard: The Room of Requirement.

Later that evening, Ginny found herself pacing next to Barnabas the Barmy and focusing on her need to be admitted to the room. Finally, the doorway appeared, and she found Neville already inside, looking like the cat that ate the canary.
    Word Count = 100

*does the spam dance*
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Post #3!!

“What do you think?” Neville asked, gesturing grandly at the walls of the Room of Requirement.

Ginny’s mouth fell open. “Neville... what... is all of this?”

His expression turned a bit sheepish. “I’ve been talking to Seamus about some Muggle things. Things that could help us fight back against the Carrows.”

“Neville, what are we going to do with these? Will they even work at Hogwarts?” Ginny asked.

He shrugged. “We have to try, right? Something is bound to work.” He took down one of the large, metal and wood... club things. “Seamus called this... an AK-47.”
    Word Count: 97 words

... muahahahahahaha.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Midnight Storm
    Note that this is #4. I'm sorry I'm from Aus, it always stuffs up the posts for everybody else :/

AidaLuthen, I LOL'd at the last line. let's see what I've got ...

“But what does it do?” Ginny asked.

“I’m not quite sure,” admitted Neville. “But Seamus did say it was destructive.”

Ginny eyed it doubtfully. “How destructive could it be? It just looks like ... wood and metal.”

“Yeah, I know,” said Neville, turning it over in his hands. “What do you reckon this handle thing is? Or this trigger thingy?”

“Maybe we should ask a Seamus before we –”

Crack! A bullet shot from the end and hit one of the Room’s walls with a smash.

“That,” said Ginny, staring at the AK-47, “is perfect.”
    95 words...

~Annie

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Post #5!

“I’m surprised it didn’t just kill us with the noise,” Neville said, eardrums still ringing. He gingerly laid the weapon on a cabinet, hoping it wouldn’t decide to go off again.

There was a knock at the door. Had the bang resounded throughout the entire castle?

The door opened, and in came not a Carrow, but a smiling Seamus. He set his bookbag on the floor and pulled out what looked like a dozen fist-sized metal pineapples.

“What are those?” Ginny asked, eying the objects suspiciously. “And where are they from?”

“These are grenades,” Seamus said, “... courtesy of the IRA.”
    Word Count: 100 exactly

YESSSSSSS.

Tim the Enchanter

EDIT: Post-Nargles attack! Please note the Drabble number!

Carole Edit:Tim, be very careful where you're going with this. Do not get too political.
    Re: I'm not trying to send any political message. I just wanted to see where the next person would take this. Also, one must consider that these weapons have to come from somewhere or someone.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Post #6

Oh Tim... Seamus with connections to the IRA? I'm curious about what you think his back story is.

The pure-bloods exchanged confused looks before turning back to Seamus. “IRA?” Neville asked.

Seamus nodded, solemnly. “The Irish Republican Army.”

“So... they’re affiliated with the Muggle government of Ireland?” Ginny asked hesitantly.

“Not... precisely.” Seamus hedged. He didn’t want to get into the details of Irish nationalism with his pure-blood friends, not now. “The important thing for us is that they have connections, and that I actually managed to get some useful stuff brought here.”

He grinned. “And you’ve proven that at least the AK-47 will work here at Hogwarts. We’ll have to test the rest to be sure though.”
    Word Count: 100 on the nose

Post nargles for the fail.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Sorry, guys, not totally happy with the direction this is taking, so am altering the course slightly.

Drabble 7

“Merlin, you can tell you lot are Gryffindors,” drawled a voice.

Ginny turned round to see her ex-boyfriend, Michael. Although they’d split up over a year ago, she still found him irritating at times.

“Why’s that?” she asked.

Michael rolled his eyes. “Guns, grenades, and all these Muggle contraptions won’t work at Hogwarts.”

“They work in here!” Seamus exclaimed angrily.

“Yes,” Michael said patronisingly. “Because this is the Room of Requirement, and you ‘require’ them to work. But Professor Dumbledore laid enchantments years ago to stop Muggle weapons working. Haven't any of you read Hogwarts: A History?”

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Drabble #8

“What did he do? Alter the laws of physics?” Seamus asked, incredulous. “We know mechanical objects like Colin’s camera and all the clocks work at Hogwarts. The Weasley’s fireworks worked, so chemical reactions are fine as well–”

“That’s where you’re wrong,” Michael interrupted. “Dumbledore cast a spell over the castle and the entire grounds that prevents the combustion of gunpowder. This effectively makes all modern Muggle weapons impotent. And before you ask, those fireworks were using a magic propellant, not gunpowder.”

Neville scratched his chin thoughtfully. “Magical propellant… that’s it! We just make a magical substitute for gunpowder!”
    Word Count: 99

FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Tim the Enchanter