Thread: Squibs

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck

Squibs

I hope I'm following this, but here are a few questions:

Can Squibs sense the Fidelius Charm? Would it be able to protect them?

Squibs are able to hold careers in the wizarding world that don't require magic, correct? I'm just checking here, but they weren't eligibile for magical education?

If a Squib married into a wizarding family, would that be looked down upon? Would they be able to have magical children?

Sense they don't have a wand or magical abilities, what defences would they possess?

Basically, I'd like any detailed information about Squibs. Thank you.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Squibs are able to hold careers in the wizarding world that don't require magic, correct? I'm just checking here, but they weren't eligibile for magical education?

I'm not really sure on this, but I guess Filch is a Squib employed by Hogwarts. But I think I remember reading somewhere that Squibs were encouraged to intergrate themselves into Muggle society. I think there would be very few jobs in the wizarding world that wouldn't require any magic at all, but I guess if there was one, it would be open to Squibs. Remember, though, I think Auntie Muriel says that Squibs back when were hushed up and a source of embarrasment, and I imagine their attitudes would have been a lot like ones we used to have about people with disabilities. They were hushed up and hidden away, so that was probably how Squibs were treated as well, so job opportunites for them might have been thin on the ground.

Ron tells us that Squibs are the offspring of witch and wizard who has no magical power, but we see evidence from Filch's Kwikspell course letter that some people had only a basic magical ability. They had wands but weren't able to do much with them. Perhaps this is a marketing ploy to get people to take the course, but perhaps this says there's various levels, and that you have to have a certain amount of magical power to 'qualify' for Hogwarts.

Can Squibs sense the Fidelius Charm? Would it be able to protect them?

Hmm. Interesting. I'm going to say that it would protect them because the nature of the charm is that a secret is concealed inside a living person. The person in which the secret is concealed might have to be a witch or wizard, or some other magical being, for the spell to work, but the subject could be non-magical. I don't really know what you mean by 'sense' the spell, though. If the spell could be sensed, it would take away the purpose of it, really. Voldemort would have been able to sense that some sort of protection spell had been cast on the house in Godric's Hollow and he'd know that the Potters were hiding there. I don't think the Fidelius Charm is something that can be 'sensed'. If you mean that they wouldn't be able to see the Potters hiding inside, just like Voldemort, I'd say that yes, they wouldn't be able to see them there. What would be the point of a spell that only hid them from certain people?

If a Squib married into a wizarding family, would that be looked down upon? Would they be able to have magical children?

I think it would depend on the era and the family in question. The Black family disowned one of it's sons for just being a Squib, so I think they'd definitely look down on someone who married one. I doubt a family like the Weasley's or the Potters would, but even in Trio era, the Malfoys probably would. Also, look at Neville's grandmother. She's always belittling him for his lack of magical talent in the earlier books. Read into that possibly that she's disappointed he's 'almost a Squib', or that she's disappointed that he's not more like his father. With Muriel's comment in mind, I would say that in the past, yes, a person would be looked down upon for marrying a Squib, if only by their family.

Wizarding genetics doesn't make sense. I think you could probably have it either way.

Sense they don't have a wand or magical abilities, what defences would they possess?

Defences as in what? Would they have the wizarding ability to resist injury more than Muggles? Possibly. Possibly not. I don't think we know enough to say one or the other is wrong. I'm not sure what you mean by 'defences' though, so I can't really comment much furthur.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!