Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPANISH Culture Help

shihtzu71894

SPANISH Culture Help

Does anyone have info on the Spanish holidays and culture? I have a Spanish OC and I want to know what holidays she should celebrate and what customs she should follow.

MrsRuebeusHagridDursley
    Well, if she was Spanish coming from Spain, (which seems more likely if they are interacting with canon character than from Mexico) then here's a list I found on the internet about Spain's national holidays.

Jan 1st: Año Nuevo (New Year's Day)
    Jan 6th: Dia de los tres Reyes (12th night, when Christmas presents are given)
    Mar 19th: San Jose (Father's Day)
    Variable: Viernes Santo (Good Friday)
    Variable: Dia de Pascua (Easter Sunday)
    May 1st: Dia del Trabajo (Labour Day)
    June 24th: San Juan (St.John's Day)
    Variable (mid June): Corpus Christi
    June 29th: San Pedro y San Pablo (St.Peter & St.Paul)
    July 25th: Santiago (St.James, patron saint of Spain)
    Aug 15th: Asuncion (Assumption)
    Oct 12th: Dia de la Hispanidad (Columbus Day)
    Nov 1st: Todos los Santos (All Saints Day)
    Dec 6th: Dia de la Constitucion (Constitution Day)
    Dec 8th: Immaculada Concepcion (Immaculate Conception)
    Dec 25th: Navidad (Christmas Day)

The site

I'm not sure what the individual holidays are about though.

Hope that helps!

shihtzu71894

thank you!

Thank you so much for the information! I will incorperate it into my story right away!

XpadfootxlivezxonX
    Also there is a saints day (im not sure the name i will get back to you on that...sorry)-most spanish natives are named after saints of there middle name is named after a saint- i know that its big in a lot of spanish countries. Also there fifteenth birthday (Quinceañera) party is HUGE its sometimes bigger then a wedding!!! Also they are really big on Holy week some countries even remake jesus's curcifixtion. Spain is big with religious holidays most of them are roman catholic.

Shadowmancer
    I don't seriously know the holidays off hand but I thought you may want to know that there are different variations on the spanish customs and traditions. There is Spain and Latin America. Both of them have similarities and differances. What you need to figure out first is which one you need to know about. Then get in depth with it.

Shadow

Disappearance_26
    Hey there!
    Well, about the Holidays, Spanish people have them, but they don't celebrate them all.
    See, I used to live with a Spanish friend of mine and he didn't celebrate all the Saints' days. You only celebrate the one that has your middle name, or name (i.e. My name is Pedro de Alvarado, therefore, I celeprate St. Pedro's day -St. Peter's)
    But that's not a rule, since Father's day is celebrated by everyone.

About the 15 birthday parties, I believe they're Mexican, not Spanish.

Well, hope that helped.
    Good luck!
    ~D26

Ariel_thespirit
    Well, It actually depends on how religious you feel.

The quinceañera parties are a Mexican tradition, not an Spanish one (believe me, I'm Spanish and I know what I'm talking about)

There are also the days of the regions, which depend on the region (Comunidad autónoma or Authonomic Comunity) where you live. For example, I live in Madrid, and the day of my region, is the second of May, beacuse it celebrates the 2nd May 1808, when the revolt of the people of Madrid against Napoleon's forces took place (there are even two paints by Goya on the subject)

The Saints Day (Día de Todos los Santos) is the 1st of November. It's pretty much our Halloween, when we go and visit our loved ones that have passed away. It even has sweets that are typical of that day, the buñuelos(usually filled with chocolate, cream, and all those things), and the saint's bones (marzipan bombons filled with an egg mix)

helgaandgodric
    Another thing about holidays is it depends on where in Spain the character lives. For villages/towns with patron saints or named for saints they celebrate that saint's day. Also, there are usually certain holidays depending on the region. Like the two week in July where there's running of the bulls and other celebrations in Pamplona.

Kate

LucillaJoanna
    Natalie had given the complete list of the holidays, and there's also the quinceanera by xpadfoot...

But you mustn't worry about observances, modern Spanish people are no longer that devoted to religious holidays. It's Mexicans who are. The only thing that stands out about their culture is a certain hauteur over other Europeans. They are a notch above the French for being snubs. (This isn't a blanket statement, okay, but just a majority observation )They don't take easily to foreigners, specially if your character would come from the upper middle class/ high society. They'd rather you learn their language or culture, than vice-versa.

They do seem to keep their devotion to the Virgin Mary though, and they always make the Sign of the Cross when startled, happy, or sorrowful.

~good luck,
    joanna (is quite knowledgable in things Spanish, as she has inherited much from the colonization)

Love_is_4ever

I'm lost...

Everyone here has been talking about the Spain traditions and Mexican, and I'm not even sure from where the character is... You only said you needed Spanish culture help, but is the character from Spain, or just from a Spanish-talking place, because there are many more countries besides Spain and Mexico... Although I do find it more likely your character being a Spaniard(from Spain, just in case )

Just wondering that... Answer me when able, and maybe then I can really help!