Thread: SPANISH Culture Help

Hybrid View

shihtzu71894

SPANISH Culture Help

Does anyone have info on the Spanish holidays and culture? I have a Spanish OC and I want to know what holidays she should celebrate and what customs she should follow.

MrsRuebeusHagridDursley
    Well, if she was Spanish coming from Spain, (which seems more likely if they are interacting with canon character than from Mexico) then here's a list I found on the internet about Spain's national holidays.

Jan 1st: Aņo Nuevo (New Year's Day)
    Jan 6th: Dia de los tres Reyes (12th night, when Christmas presents are given)
    Mar 19th: San Jose (Father's Day)
    Variable: Viernes Santo (Good Friday)
    Variable: Dia de Pascua (Easter Sunday)
    May 1st: Dia del Trabajo (Labour Day)
    June 24th: San Juan (St.John's Day)
    Variable (mid June): Corpus Christi
    June 29th: San Pedro y San Pablo (St.Peter & St.Paul)
    July 25th: Santiago (St.James, patron saint of Spain)
    Aug 15th: Asuncion (Assumption)
    Oct 12th: Dia de la Hispanidad (Columbus Day)
    Nov 1st: Todos los Santos (All Saints Day)
    Dec 6th: Dia de la Constitucion (Constitution Day)
    Dec 8th: Immaculada Concepcion (Immaculate Conception)
    Dec 25th: Navidad (Christmas Day)

The site

I'm not sure what the individual holidays are about though.

Hope that helps!

shihtzu71894

thank you!

Thank you so much for the information! I will incorperate it into my story right away!

XpadfootxlivezxonX
    Also there is a saints day (im not sure the name i will get back to you on that...sorry)-most spanish natives are named after saints of there middle name is named after a saint- i know that its big in a lot of spanish countries. Also there fifteenth birthday (Quinceaņera) party is HUGE its sometimes bigger then a wedding!!! Also they are really big on Holy week some countries even remake jesus's curcifixtion. Spain is big with religious holidays most of them are roman catholic.

Shadowmancer
    I don't seriously know the holidays off hand but I thought you may want to know that there are different variations on the spanish customs and traditions. There is Spain and Latin America. Both of them have similarities and differances. What you need to figure out first is which one you need to know about. Then get in depth with it.

Shadow

Disappearance_26
    Hey there!
    Well, about the Holidays, Spanish people have them, but they don't celebrate them all.
    See, I used to live with a Spanish friend of mine and he didn't celebrate all the Saints' days. You only celebrate the one that has your middle name, or name (i.e. My name is Pedro de Alvarado, therefore, I celeprate St. Pedro's day -St. Peter's)
    But that's not a rule, since Father's day is celebrated by everyone.

About the 15 birthday parties, I believe they're Mexican, not Spanish.

Well, hope that helped.
    Good luck!
    ~D26