Thread: Nice Time-Travel Fic?

Midnight Storm

Nice Time-Travel Fic?

Hey, guys!

I'm looking for a good time-travel fic. Key word being good. I've gone hunting in the archives, but I haven't really found any good ones.

As far as categories go, I prefer Marauder Era (whether it be the characters or the time), but any will do. I'm not a fan of Historical, D/A, or Poetry (can time-travel poetry exist? *ponders*)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

~Midnight Storm

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    One of my personal favourites:
    Smells Like Sirius Black

Actually, it's the only time travel fic I've read, but I really liked it
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    While I normally steer away from time travel fics myself, which probably has a lot to do with you asking for *good* ones , but I have had a couple recommended to me by friends as being utterly fantastic.

Title: A Little More Time
    Author: Pallas
    Rating/Warnings: 3rd/5th years -- Character Death, DH Spoilers
    Genre: Post-Hogwarts
    Length: 98K / 26 Chapters
    Summary:
    Was it possible to save two lives in the past without altering history? Was it possible to give his parents a future twenty years after they had supposedly died? Teddy Lupin thought so...
    Title: Take My Heart Away
    Author: Hatusu
    Rating/Warnings: 6th/7th Years -- None
    Genre: Dark/Angst
    Length: 18K / 19 Chapters
    Summary:
    Hermione goes back in time with one mission: to kill Tom Riddle before he ever comes to power. A difficult task, correct? An impossible one, she realizes, as a love between them grows stronger than anything she has ever known. Now Hermione has a choice to make. Will she condemn the Wizarding world to almost certain destruction, or will she take the life of the one boy she has ever loved?
    A Little More Time has been called one of, if not the best story on the site by more than a couple people I've talked to, so it almost has to be excellence incarnate. I know Take My Heart Away is two things you asked not to get (D/A, Historical), but I've heard nothing but good things about it, so at under 20K, it's worth a look.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

QSQ-worthy banner by Minna / minnabird.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    I wrote a time travel fic about the final battle - Harry goes back in time to try to change the outcome and fights alongside his past self. It's called A Destiny in Time. It's gotten a good response, but since it was written before DH came out, it is totally AU. And maybe a bit D/A, so I don't know if you'd be interested...

Strange that other than the ones Jess mentioned, I haven't come across many others. Time travel is tricky, it really put me through the ringer!

~Gina

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Inverarity's Christmas in Amber is lovely. Though it is historical -> Tom Riddle goes back to the Founders' Era.

Still I really dislike time travel fics and I really like "Christmas in Amber".

I feel like I should use the form that Jess used, so the other information:

Author: Inverarity
    Ratings/Warnings: 1st-2nd, none
    Category: Historical
    Length: ~3000 words
    Summary:

A tale of Tom Riddle at Hogwarts. Like Harry Potter, Riddle never went home for Christmas. Instead, he spent his holidays looking for secrets hidden in the castle. What he found would cause death and sorrow for years to come.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Simply Being
    This one is an oldie but a goodie!

Title: The Salem Witch Trials
    Author: FullofLife
    Rating/Warnings: 3rd-5th Years, Warnings: Character Death, Violence
    Genre: Dark/Angst
    Length: 61 K or 24 Chapters
    Summary:
    Harry, Ron and Hermione are spending a day in the small wizarding village of Hogsmeade when they happen to come upon a strange amulet lying in the snow. This amulet has amazing powers and transports the three friends to Salem, Massachusetts in the year 1692 when Muggles lived in fear of witches and wizards and the penalty for being able to perform magic was death.
    It's a bit slow in the beginning, and it almost seems generic. But after the first few chapters I was hooked, and it really took on a whole new depth. Great read!

-Danielle

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Title: Time For Plan B
    Author: Me...
    Rating/Warnings: 6th-7th Years/Alternate Universe, Mild Profanity & Sexual Situations
    Genre: Draco/Ginny (I'd say it's more of a humour piece, but those two are the 'stars')
    Length: 67K/11 chapters (complete)
    Summary:
    Life doesn't always go according to plan, so sometimes you need contingencies. But what if your backup to your backup plan fails? What can you do? Mix in hexes, rumours, a reverse-Oedipus complex, something about a pig, and set it all in the year 1975, and you are bound to have issues—serious, psychologically-scarring issues. Oh, and did I mention Draco and Ginny were in the middle of all this? Yeah. Fun times.
    Excerpt (chapter 5):
    His mother had kissed him—on the lips!

He swore to every god he could think of and cursed his father, the Sorting Hat, the Time-Turner, and especially Ginevra Weasley. When he got back to his time, he would be in need of some serious psychological counselling. Right now, he would have to settle for a scalding hot shower and possibly some manly crying.
    Yeah, I'm recommending myself. Such poor taste. However, if you're into humour and Draco being thoroughly humiliated (and possibly defiled) in the Marauder era, you just might like it. Plus, it's not horribly written. Just read the chapter titles.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    I'm going to join in the shameless plugging and recommend two to you, one of which just so happens to be mine...

Title: Don't Look Back
    Author: Erm ... me..
    Rating/Warnings: 1st-2nd Years
    Genre: General
    Length: Almost 5,000 words - 3 Chapters
    Summary:
    Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated. ~Lamartine
    So many people love Teddy, so why can’t he stop thinking about the two he never met?

Title: It Wasn't Over
    Author: kritchen .
    Rating/Warnings: 1st-2nd Years - Alternate Universe
    Genre: Other Pairing
    Length: Around 8000 - One-shot
    Summary:
    Andromeda Black is preparing to marry the man her family had picked out for her from the beginning. She's twenty-eight now, her life everything she thought it never would be. By some unspoken miracle, Dumbledore offers her the chance of a lifetime; a chance to try fixing what went wrong so many years ago. Given a mysterious satchel of seemingly random objects, Andromeda is sent back in time to that time and place. Can she figure out how to fix that old issue and still do the few things Dumbledore asks her to do??
    It's been a while since I read that last one, but I remember liking it quite a lot.
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!