Thread: OoTP Help

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!

OoTP Help

A piece of backstory I've been writing has snowballed into a one-shot, and I need some information about the aftermarth of Dumbledore's disappearence. I think I remember that the whole schools seemed to know things that had happened in the office, but what was it? Does it ever say how they found out?

Also, what was the time of that initial meeting in the Hog's Head, and also the first DA meeting? Am I right in saying that the times and days of these meetings always changed? What about the time of the final meeting, when Marietta blabbed on them all? Is that ever stated?

Is the spell that Hermione placed on that piece of paper ever named? Do you think that it would be plausible that the jinx would only activate itself if someone told an 'enemy' about the club? I need a character to tell her friend about the meeting in the Hog's Head after she's signed the paper because the friend is interested in joining, but couldn't go to the meeting. Do you think the jinx would activate if she did that?

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    I think the most likely possibility about how the whole school found out what happened in Dumbledore's office was just word of mouth. Any one of the people in that office could have told someone else, who could have told someone else... and so on.

Also, what was the time of that initial meeting in the Hog's Head, and also the first DA meeting?

I'm not sure on this, but I believe the Hog's Head meeting was just after lunch. The normal DA meetings were probably all in the evening, because that's the only time most people had free. They would probably start directly after dinner so that the younger students could have enough time to really work and still get back to their dormitories before curfew. After all, the nine o'clock curfew doesn't take effect until fifth year, and several members of the DA were younger than fifth year. And yes, they were all held on different nights.

I think your question about a girl telling her friend about it would be quite plausible. I'm pretty sure that Seamus joined the DA a few meetings after the one in the Hog's Head, though I may be mistaken on this.

Banner by the lovely Megan/FawkesToTheRescue

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire at Dawn
    Is the spell that Hermione placed on that piece of paper ever named? Do you think that it would be plausible that the jinx would only activate itself if someone told an 'enemy' about the club? I need a character to tell her friend about the meeting in the Hog's Head after she's signed the paper because the friend is interested in joining, but couldn't go to the meeting. Do you think the jinx would activate if she did that?

Sarah x
    I recall Umbridge and Co expressing frustration over identifying Hermione's jinx, which could imply that she invented it herself. The spell is never named.

I think the jinx is triggered not by simply telling someone about the DA, but by the act and/or contemplation of betrayal, which is probably harder to determine magically. Seamus did indeed visit the DA later, so the jinx must have allowed members to invite him.

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    I recall Umbridge and Co expressing frustration over identifying Hermione's jinx, which could imply that she invented it herself. The spell is never named.
    Or it could just be highly obscure. Hermoine is the type to research a highly specific, extremely obscure spell just because it fits. Or modifying one to suit her purposes.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    A piece of backstory I've been writing has snowballed into a one-shot, and I need some information about the aftermarth of Dumbledore's disappearence. I think I remember that the whole schools seemed to know things that had happened in the office, but what was it? Does it ever say how they found out?
    It was known that harry and Marietta were the only students there. Marietta was in the hospital wing, so Harry was asked for details. He did tell his story to several people. It says in the book that every single person seemed to know that Dumbledore had escaped. I wonder whether the talking portraits had something to do with it.

It's worth knowing that the information was often inaccurate. One second year thought that Fudge was in St Mungo's with a pumpkin for a head.

The jinx isn't named. I'm not sure whether it has rendered Marietta incapable of speaking any more than she already has, though. It seems from the book that she's afraid to speak, rather than being unable. That's before Kingsley jinxes her of course.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Thanks guys, you've been really helpful. Mods, I've got all I need now, so this thread can be locked and graved.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!